Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #21
thatoneguy

And again, I also drive for a living for one of the biggest companies in the world with one of the best safety records blah blah who cares right.... everyone going by tire stickers to determine tow rating is wrong, period, thats tire load limits.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #22
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'm fully aware of tire load ratings. It is about a the regulations. So where on that tag does it say that if you install a higher ply rating then the max load can be increased to that tires carrying capacity? Is that posted in the owner's manual?

If I follow your advice and end up in court over a catastrophic accident am I to assume that the truck manufacturer will come to court and testify that it's OK that I was over the door sticker by a 1,000 lbs. because I had installed the next higher ply rated tire?
Dot dosen't have an issue with my brothers rig, wee little 3/4 ton and guess what he does for a living, hot shots travel trailers and 5th wheels. Hes been dot'd 4 times in the last 2 weeks, and no citations so there's that... I hot shot equipment and materials to drilling rigs.... Only been cdl driver for like 13 years though, still just a rookie.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #23
thatoneguy

My brother towing one of his deliveries, 14000+ dry weight is what he said if I recall.... Im not some no nothing guy trying to spread disinformation, Im saying the door tags don't nessicarly reflect tow ratings.Click image for larger version

Name:	received_350083296021725.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	30092
Old 10-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

While we are discussing numbers here's a few numbers that I think should put the concern for towing overloaded into perspective.

US population: 328 million
Number of Personal Injury Lawyers in the US : 93,000 ( seems like all of them run commercials 24/7 and buy a LOT of other advertising).
That's one Personal Injury Lawyer per every 3,526 people (some of which are other type lawyers)

So if anyone thinks there's no ramification if things go bad I think you're misinformed.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
My brother towing one of his deliveries, 14000+ dry weight is what he said if I recall.... Im not some no nothing guy trying to spread disinformation, Im saying the door tags don't nessicarly reflect tow ratings.Attachment 30092
But your brother is because he said what? I guess we all have a new definitive resource now.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #26
thatoneguy

proving gross negligence sure, that's why we have auto insurance too. Most of the accidents i see with towables are driver error or because the tires weren't up to the task. Yes I have seen some that were pure ignorance on TV selection, but most people aren't that bad.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #27
thatoneguy

Quote:
But your brother is because he said what? I guess we all have a new definitive resource now.
I'm referencing DOT because while he registered for 26k or less, that trailer is way too heavy for his rig but dot left him alone because with trailer he was only like 22k.... but he still towed it safely 1k miles, albeit lots of extra wear on his truck
Old 10-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #28
thatoneguy

according to this group he shoulda killed a bus full of nuns and his truck exploded though
Old 10-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #29
Javi

Quote:
And again, I also drive for a living for one of the biggest companies in the world with one of the best safety records blah blah who cares right.... everyone going by tire stickers to determine tow rating is wrong, period, thats tire load limits.
That sticker I posted has the payload number on it... the payload is a subjective number for sure but it is the curb weight of the truck as it left the manufacturer plus a full tank of fuel and a 150 pound driver subtracted from the GVWR of the truck... In my case 14,000 pounds GVWR... I have the payload sticker saved on my computer... I don't have the Federal sticker which by the way is not the tow rating... it is the GVWR of the truck.. posting a photo with 14,000 pound GVWR or not the truck is still 14,000 GVWR.. yours isn't...
Old 10-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #30
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
That sticker I posted has the payload number on it... the payload is a subjective number for sure but it is the curb weight of the truck as it left the manufacturer plus a full tank of fuel and a 150 pound driver subtracted from the GVWR of the truck... In my case 14,000 pounds GVWR... I have the payload sticker saved on my computer... I don't have the Federal sticker which by the way is not the tow rating... it is the GVWR of the truck.. posting a photo with 14,000 pound GVWR or not the truck is still 14,000 GVWR.. yours isn't...
Mine was purposely ordered to be less, but identical trucks on the ford lot are rated more because they aren't subject to dot if non commercial
Old 10-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #31
Javi

Quote:
Mine was purposely ordered to be less, but identical trucks on the ford lot are rated more because they aren't subject to dot if non commercial
Don't understand.. not subject to DOT.. I used to do this for a living and commercial is hauling for pay... if you get paid to haul then you are commercial..

If you mean not subject to weight laws, then that's different... you can drive and pull with a class c license if you are under 26,000 pound GCWR. But that doesn't exempt you from a commercial license if you are PAID to drive...

There are other exemptions for farm, logging and drilling equipment etc.. Not going to get in the bushes with all that..

Technically if you're hauling for hire you need a CDL of some class; at least in Texas.. which does make you answer to the DOT... even if it is a travel trailer..
Old 10-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #32
thatoneguy

You're correct, im only saying dot didn't check his door tags for weight, they checked his paperwork in which hes registered for under 26k. hes still dot. That trailer was overweight for his truck but dot didn't care because his registered for under 26k.. This is in reference to legal claims someone mentioned. but you're correct over 26k combo rating or driving for hire requires cdl.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #33
Javi

Quote:
You're correct, im only saying dot didn't check his door tags for weight, they checked his paperwork in which hes registered for under 26k. hes still dot. That trailer was overweight for his truck but dot didn't care because his registered for under 26k.. This is in reference to legal claims someone mentioned. but you're correct over 26k combo rating or driving for hire requires cdl.
Truth is most likely that they didn't want to fool with a travel trailer and parking him; if he was more than 10% over on GVWR or Axle.. I have seen weight cops do that but it's pretty rare..

Our company was a scale for the weight & measures guys on the north side of Waco & IH35 and I've seen a bunch of folks crying when they had to unload or sit until another truck or someone with proper paper came to help..
Old 10-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #34
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Truth is most likely that they didn't want to fool with a travel trailer and parking him; if he was more than 10% over on GVWR or Axle.. I have seen weight cops do that but it's pretty rare..

Our company was a scale for the weight & measures guys on the north side of Waco & IH35 and I've seen a bunch of folks crying when they had to unload or sit until another truck or someone with proper paper came to help..
ive been there before, my driver went through the scales in kansas, only state we didn't have overweight permits , made us offload about 8,000 lbs of equipment into my pickup, making my pickup overweight but that didn't matter because the pump truck in front of me was now 79870.... lol
Old 10-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #35
wiredgeorge

What has me confused in the strange thread is the fact that we are talking tow ratings. Not sure there is a tow rating ANYWHERE on the truck I own. I know it states axle load ratings and such but most of the issues RVers run into are not TOW RATINGS but the load they place on their truck; on that white/yellow placard is the PAYLOAD and if they are in an accident and some forensic lawyer weighs to load on their hitch and finds they were overweight; bingo, their client hit the lottery and I am not certain the offending person's insurance will be thrilled to pay up. Folks get dogged on this forum 99 percent of the time for being overloaded (exceeding trucks stated payload) and not the ability to tow a camper down the road. Overloading is likely much more of a safety issue than tearing up a little under powered/under transmission 1/2 ton. BTW: I hold a Texas Class B Exempt (fire engine driver) so I got tested on our state laws on many of these things.... not as much as the commercial license taker but similar.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 10-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

George, I'm confused as well. Started with upgrading a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton, when to someone towing ridiculously overweight for a living without as much as any info on the door (I'm no DOT expert but I thought that was required) to now telling stories of placing 4 tons in the back of a pick up. Excuse me, I no to go out to the garage and dig out my hip waders.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #37
thatoneguy

Quote:
George, I'm confused as well. Started with upgrading a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton, when to someone towing ridiculously overweight for a living without as much as any info on the door (I'm no DOT expert but I thought that was required) to now telling stories of placing 4 tons in the back of a pick up. Excuse me, I no to go out to the garage and dig out my hip waders.
this post had nothing to do with me upgrading my truck, this post was because everyone insisting on those damn door tags like they were spoken by Jesus and nothing can be done to tow safely if your numbers dont match
Old 10-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #38
notanlines

George, Marshall, be like Jim. Get all your tow ratings from the TV commercials. (I thought maybe we could all use a little brevity)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 10-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
George, Marshall, be like Jim. Get all your tow ratings from the TV commercials. (I thought maybe we could all use a little brevity)
That's not enough. I want more! Guess I'll have to go visit my tire dealer and trade up for a higher ply rating! Or can trade in my wimpey underrated 3/4 ton "basic model" for one of them Purdy new 1/2 tons! Apparently I did it backwards when I bought the 3/4 and stopped towing with the F150 King Ranch. Who knew? Apparently all I needed to do was buy new tires and another $4 grand worth of stuff to keep towing with the KR.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #40
Northofu1

Reading this post reminded me of an appropriate meme
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DONKEYS.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	30093  

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Closed Thread