Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
Sarge2

Might be a strange question(s)

Why do some TT's have their running lights on at night? Just sitting unhooked from the tow vehicle?
Is it decoration or is there some other reason... Is it a modification that the owner did or is that factory?
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
BrooksFam

Usually for decoration and makes it easier to find your rig in the night. You can get a switch that plugs into your 7 pin connector to turn lights on and off.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a "simple mod" that you can do to light your running lights and tail lights. Use a 15 amp fuse, bend the two legs slightly and plug that fuse into your trailer umbilical, pins 3 and 4. That's the two pins, one on each side of the "keyway" (alignment block on the plug)... Pin 3 is running/tail lights and pin 4 is +12 VDC.

If you "really want to be fancy, use a flasher module instead of a fuse. Your running lights will flash based on the frequency of the flasher unit's setup.

Wiring diagram and a photo of the fuse placement below. Note the photo has a 20 amp fuse. A 15 amp is all you need with LED running lights.

ADDED: The mod can help identify your trailer if you have emergency responders or a pizza delivery on the way... Just tell them, "Look for the trailer with the flashing running lights, we'll be waiting for our supper".....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-pin-trailer-connector.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	29312   Click image for larger version

Name:	UMBILICAL FUSE FOR RUNNING LIGHTS IN CAMPGROUND.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	29313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Running-Lights-Always-On-with-Fuse.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	29314  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s most likely decoration or easy ID when you return to your campsite after dark.

Very easy to do. If you hold the trailer umbilical cord facing you with the locking tab UP, the top two connectors are 12VDC and running lights. A simple jumper wire will do the trick. Another way would be to purchase the TV side plug and run a jumper across the pins in the back. Then just plug it into the trailer cord.

Looks like John has an even faster way. I guess I was typing too slow...it’s the heat

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
CedarCreekWoody

Some do it just "for effect". They do it with a shorting plug on their umbilical light cord. They was a recent discussion on the forum.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #6
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Some do it just "for effect". They do it with a shorting plug on their umbilical light cord. They was a recent discussion on the forum.
Heres a link to the mod using a fuse to jumper terminals on the 7 pin connector.

https://sites.google.com/site/jdbeas...nglightsswitch

Old 08-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
Ksupaul

Have a guy telling my best friend his can’t be shut off and they are on always. I told him he was full of it but guys swears by it. Cougar 34TSB TT.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #8
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Tell your friend to make sure he has boots on as the stuff gets deep!
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There is a "simple mod" that you can do to light your running lights and tail lights. Use a 15 amp fuse, bend the two legs slightly and plug that fuse into your trailer umbilical, pins 3 and 4. That's the two pins, one on each side of the "keyway" (alignment block on the plug)... Pin 3 is running/tail lights and pin 4 is +12 VDC.

If you "really want to be fancy, use a flasher module instead of a fuse. Your running lights will flash based on the frequency of the flasher unit's setup.

Wiring diagram and a photo of the fuse placement below. Note the photo has a 20 amp fuse. A 15 amp is all you need with LED running lights.

ADDED: The mod can help identify your trailer if you have emergency responders or a pizza delivery on the way... Just tell them, "Look for the trailer with the flashing running lights, we'll be waiting for our supper".....
Wait just one darn second... Pizza delivery? While camping?! I load it up with food and then hit the scales to make sure I didn't overbuy.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Wait just one darn second... Pizza delivery? While camping?! I load it up with food and then hit the scales to make sure I didn't overbuy.
Pizza delivery at the campsite is the best...……..

Old 08-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Pizza delivery... When in Shreveport recently at the KOA where we stay we always go to a place called Jan's River Restaurant - every time. This trip we hit the day they were closed. We were reluctant to go there due to all the "stuff" going on but had decided we would...then they were closed. Kicked it around, looked on the web and decided on "pizza delivery" - a first for us!!! We did not have the blinking lights, just told the guy the space number and look for the big red truck - to no avail. Standing outside waiting he drove right by me and went to the end of the road. Couple of minutes later I get a call "I'm here, where are you?" Right where I said says I. Guided him back and got the pizza (very good I might add). Flashing lights might have been a good thing that evening....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:15 PM   #12
rohish

I started out doing this to use as a marker for friends to find my camper at the race track and the campground. Now I do it most of the time camping. It gives off just enough light all around the camper to see at night. I don't have to string any lights at the camp site. It also keeps most of the bugs away from me, the outdoor kitchen, and the entry door.

I did replace all the bulbs to LED. The incandescent bulbs would keep the fan running on my converter all night.
rohish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #13
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Kind of like that idea...lol...figured it had to be something for show...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #14
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
Why do some TT's have their running lights on at night? Just sitting unhooked from the tow vehicle?
Is it decoration or is there some other reason... Is it a modification that the owner did or is that factory?
Newer vehicles turn off the power to the 7 pin plug unless the car/truck is running and maybe even in gear. The older vehicles have power all the time.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #15
STJ

We are on a trip trough SD from Fl. I saw my first camper with all the running lights on at the last stop he said he got a plug from Amazon which turns the lights on switch but all those lights on which were LEDs are very annoying to other campers they have to sit and look at them. Turn them off after you find your way back to your camper.
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #16
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
We are on a trip trough SD from Fl. I saw my first camper with all the running lights on at the last stop he said he got a plug from Amazon which turns the lights on switch but all those lights on which were LEDs are very annoying to other campers they have to sit and look at them. Turn them off after you find your way back to your camper.
I concur, it is very annoying.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:51 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I concur, it is very annoying.
I agree, if I want to look at a bunch of clearance lights glowing at night I'll stay in a rest stop on the interstate. When they first started selling the large "globe" awning lights my idiot BIL bought it and loaded it up with 60 watt bulbs. His camper looked like amused car lot.

Our unit has the amber step lights and that's what we use most. I installed an LED strip on the awning roller for more lighting when needed. It's color (RGB leds) and has the ability to produce many colors and effects. I've found using a greenish blue glow doesn't diminish my night vision nor attract bugs. I don't use the flashing, chasing, color changing or any other of the 80's disco functions.

JMHO YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #18
KimNTerry

IMO the lighting is right there with outdoor speakers and outdoor TVs.

I remember the three way music festival (Battle?) at one campground.
Screamo Hard Rock competing with Rap competing against Mexican Polka/Mariachi. Of course all 3 would just keep turning the volume up. We left for home early on that trip.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:02 PM   #19
dutchmensport

You don't need to use a bent fuse. All you need is a short wire (2 or 3 inches long), and simply stick each end into pin slot 3 and 4. You can also bend the pins on a car turn signal flasher and plug it into pin slots 3 and 4. Then your running lights will flash on and off. If you really want to pi$$ off your neighbor camper, do this! He'll hate you for it!

I do carry a bent car turn signal flasher in my box of RV tools and junk. If I ever had to drop the trailer on the side of the road and leave it, I can plug in the flasher in the trailer unbilical cord and the lights will flash. (at least until the on-board battery ran down.) And FYI.... I've never HAD to use it, but on occasion, if camping on the 4th of July, and campgrounds won't permit fireworks, I have, in the past, plugged in the flasher to celebrate the 4th of July.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #20
STJ

Now I agree with the flasher item for emergencies maybe for a couple hours on Fourth of July but I also can’t imagine any reason why I would leave my trailer on the side of the interstate I do have a motorcycle I can unload and go get help necessary. But you just never know what’s gonna happen out on the road. Currently sitting by the lake in Fort Thompson South Dakota grilling porkchops headed out day after tomorrow for the Black Hills. Day 20 of a 65 day trip to South Dakota from Pensacola, Fl
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote