Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2020, 05:52 AM   #1
skids

Need roof repair.

I need advice on how to repair the roof of my 2019 Bullet 248RKS.

The edge of the roof over the main doorway pulled upwards from the gutter about 1/4 inch. It seems the TPO is still smooth and glued to the OSB?. It is not very extensive, maybe 18 inches? The edge where it had a caulk line is not attached. I am assuming that staples have pulled from the 2x2 board above the doorway, but none can be felt with the hand. When pushed down, everything looks and feels even and solid.

Would you suggest that I make a substantial mechanical repair by using aluminum strip? Maybe 2 inches wide by 30 inches long by 1/8 thick and sandwiched between eternabond? Comments?

I will also have to deal with glueing the TPO edge on the underside along the gutter. Suggestions?
Old 06-16-2020, 06:41 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would remove the transition strip, pull the membrane down and staple it. Then reinstall the strip and reseal.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #3
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would remove the transition strip, pull the membrane down and staple it. Then reinstall the strip and reseal.
Chuckster, please dumb it up for me. What is the transition strip. Is that the piece that includes the gutter? Is it the entire length, like 20 feet? How it that reinstalled? Sorry for all of the questions that are obvious to many.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

When the membrane is installed, it is staples along the edges, then the strip with the plastic insert is screwed on. On some models it will be the gutter rail too. It’s held on by a bunch of #2 Roberts head screws. They will be visible once you pull the plastic/vinyl insert off. You probably have a seam in the middle near the trouble spot. If you remove enough screws you could probably pull the rail out away far enough to staple the membrane. If not then remove as much as needed.

Most likely there is putty or butyl tape on the back side of the rail. Old should be removed and new used, it’s cheap enough and comes in rolls. Once you put the rail back on, use Dicor Non self leveling along the top edge of the trim piece.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #5
skids

Thank you so much.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Your very welcome. Feel free to PM me if you need more information/help.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #7
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I need advice on how to repair the roof of my 2019 Bullet 248RKS.

The edge of the roof over the main doorway pulled upwards from the gutter about 1/4 inch. It seems the TPO is still smooth and glued to the OSB?. It is not very extensive, maybe 18 inches? The edge where it had a caulk line is not attached. I am assuming that staples have pulled from the 2x2 board above the doorway, but none can be felt with the hand. When pushed down, everything looks and feels even and solid.

Would you suggest that I make a substantial mechanical repair by using aluminum strip? Maybe 2 inches wide by 30 inches long by 1/8 thick and sandwiched between eternabond? Comments?

I will also have to deal with glueing the TPO edge on the underside along the gutter. Suggestions?
How in the world did that happen on such a new unit? Warranty issue?
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:18 AM   #8
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
How in the world did that happen on such a new unit? Warranty issue?
I had a long winded reply that disappeared before it was completely submitted. Oh well. To your answer, I didn’t want to lose the trailier to the shop for months if they did accept a warranty claim. Truthfully I doubt they would accept a claim as it failed along a caulk line.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:49 AM   #9
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I had a long winded reply that disappeared before it was completely submitted. Oh well. To your answer, I didn’t want to lose the trailier to the shop for months if they did accept a warranty claim. Truthfully I doubt they would accept a claim as it failed along a caulk line.
...months in a shop... I understand that one! We’ve all probably been there and done that. Of the repairs that would have been under warranty with this new camper I did them myself instead just to avoid the shop. I probably voided the warranty by fixing what should have been correct to begin with, like “properly cut and properly glued drain lines!” So as not to flood the kitchen.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, roof repair