Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantmc1 View Post
Thanks so much for your detailed answer. My plan was to trade in my Pacifica for a Tahoe or a Expedition with the max tow package. Since we don’t want a smaller TT it now it looks like I’ll need to look for a used F250 or 2500 instead. I guess I’ll keep my Pacifica.
To get out of towing altogether I’m also considering a very small Class A (25.5 feet) new - or a used Class B+. Not sure I can justify the cost. Anyway I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience.
DW and I looked at a lot of class C & B motor homes before buying our current trailer. First off let me state that we were looking before I retired so the thought of a drive train setting for 4 to 6 months Ata time was not appealing. Inactive long periods can result in seals drying out causing leaks, valves in transmissions sticking, etc.

That being said, here are my observations on drivable vs towable:

Drivable - no more towing, hitching/unhitching.
Reality - either break down camp or tow a car to leave campsite

Drivable - eat and use toilet while driving
Reality - not on the pot hole roads with folks cutting you off (AR braking)

Drivable - gas: Very poor fuel mileage, transmission typically more problematic. Struggle with hills or passing. Diesel - better reliability but increase up front cost and faster depreciation because it's in an RV not a PU.

Drivable - less space that towable of the same length. Less interior space due to driver seat area and hood vs the box of a trailer. Exterior storage is limited as space from cab forward is unavailable. Typically slide outs are much smaller, limited sleeping capacity.

Towable - we had a truck, disconnect and go explore no problem. If there's an issue with the trailer, say broken spring or some major failure my ride is independent so if trailer is tied up waiting on parts or device I don't have to rent a tide.

Towable - plenty of storage, plenty of sleeping capacity without someone lying on a "jack knife" bed. I think they call them that because after one night you'll fell like someone stuck you in the back with a knife.

Towable - you have to stop to use the fridge or toilet. Not a big deal to me. After a few hours the dog and I need to stretch and there's a second door to bathroom so no need to run slide out for access.

Towable - outdoor kitchen. We only cook inside if it's raining hard. Outdoor fridge prevents constantly going in and out of camper, also no more lugging ice chests outside. Smaller drivables don't offer them.

So these were my thought. Like everything in this world what suits me may not suit you. My advice, don't be caught up in the "bling" or sales talk. Look at it from how you would use it every day. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #22
Bill-2020

During the recent search for my brothers truck, one dealer tried to push the heavy duty version of the F150 on him, this after he balked at the dealers comments that you can’t find a F250 for under $60K. Dealer figured they’d get him interested in a “near F250” 150 for that “under $60K” comment. You never saw two people walk out so fast.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #23
jasin1

Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experience. Looks like I’ll be looking for an F250 or 2500 instead!
I know it must seem complicated at times with truck and trailer combos but you are in a perfect situation with many options..the best scenario of all of them is having MORE truck then you need. It’s usually not a big monetary difference between 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Whatever you choose make sure it does not have the factory gvwr downgrade. It will be right on the sticker ..Ford for instance has a lot of 1 ton trucks at just 10000 lb downgrade. I would still have been over my weight with my combination..normal gvwr is over 12000 I believe with Ford 8’ srw and 11500 for shortbed. And if you buy a used 3/4 ton then you could really be in a bind. My 2012 ram 2500 only had a little over 2100lb payload and 9600 gvwr ( when you weigh your truck with fifth wheel attached. Your truck can’t weigh over the listed gvwr.that included you,wife,kids everything in the truck and pin weight of fifth wheel) I was over by almost 1000 lbs that’s why I just bought a new truck
If you absolutely want a 3/4 ton then stick with stripped down diesel or loaded up gas model.....Chevy/gmc actually has a 3/4 ton diesel loaded model with 11300gvwr and over 3000 lb payload. It’s a rare model and the other truck makers may follow. For gods sake dont buy the minimal truck for your requirements or you will be back here in a couple of years and trying to make it work with your new fifth wheel lol
Old 12-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #24
notanlines

My advice is to, at a bare minimum, stick with someone's 1 ton F350/3500 SRW. You won't be sorry.
Only because you seem like a nice, family oriented guy are we not trying to talk you into a custom T210 Kenworth Hauler. (It would, after all, make you king of the block!)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #25
Grantmc1

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I’m not only getting a good education on trailers, towing, and trucks but I believe you all saved me from making a huge financial mistake that likely would have endangered my family. While I still wish it were true that an SUV that’s rated to tow over 9000 pounds could tow a 7,000 pound TT in real world conditions; wishing it were so doesn’t make it so.
Grantmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I’m not only getting a good education on trailers, towing, and trucks but I believe you all saved me from making a huge financial mistake that likely would have endangered my family. While I still wish it were true that an SUV that’s rated to tow over 9000 pounds could tow a 7,000 pound TT in real world conditions; wishing it were so doesn’t make it so.
Your welcome!..One more bit of advice. When you get your camper wait a little bit before you load up on everything you THINK you will need lol I spent a lot on a generator and solar and inverters without consulting anyone.... should have bounced a few of those ideas off this forum before pulling the trigger on those purchases
Old 12-20-2020, 06:03 PM   #27
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
My advice is to, at a bare minimum, stick with someone's 1 ton F350/3500 SRW. You won't be sorry.
Only because you seem like a nice, family oriented guy are we not trying to talk you into a custom T210 Kenworth Hauler. (It would, after all, make you king of the block!)
What he said! Both models drive the same and cost difference is negligible. But payload is much better.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #28
Grantmc1

Thanks for the comparison of motorhome versus travel trailer. Good info to think about. You definitely get a lot more space for the money with a TT. We had friends who bought a class B+ who after the first year of traveling in it bought a Honda Fit to tow behind it. Having to tow another vehicle behind your motor home seems to defeat the purpose.
Grantmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:57 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the comparison of motorhome versus travel trailer. Good info to think about. You definitely get a lot more space for the money with a TT. We had friends who bought a class B+ who after the first year of traveling in it bought a Honda Fit to tow behind it. Having to tow another vehicle behind your motor home seems to defeat the purpose.
It depends on your purpose. When we were looking at them I was working so we primarily camped within a 150 mile radius and didn't leave the cg very often. Everyone's wants and needs are different. It's what works for you. Enjoy!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:14 AM   #30
gearhead

Forget all those issues with motorhomes. What the REAL issue is: all those pots and pans rattling going down the road will drive you crazy.
"If I were you" I'd be looking at a 1ton single rear wheel, maybe a short bed if that's what's needed to fit your garage.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:17 AM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Although the OP inquired about pulling a TT with a Tahoe I thought I'd make this comment about a MH since we've migrated in that direction.

A guy pulled into the campground on Friday parked across from us. Set up and spent the night after getting all hooked up. The next day and Sunday, both days, he unhooked everything, fired that big thing up and disappeared for most of the day returning in the afternoon. Reconnected everything and did whatever he was doing at the campsite - no toad. That is a no go for me from the gitgo. We like to go and do everywhere we go and to do so in a large Class A just seems like nonsense to me. I know others will feel differently but that's JMO - YMMV.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:55 AM   #32
wiredgeorge

By the way, Grantmc1 (from New Braunfels) we are near each other. I would like to point out that asking folks on a site where there are only fifth wheels and bumper pulls to talk about the merits of a Class A/B/C may not have a ton of balance. To my thinking, you would have to drag a toad because if the family wants a Big Mac, the Class A/B/C will not be very convenient nor will it fit under the drive through in some cases. Lots of folks have motor coaches and if I were doing motor coach it certainly wouldn't be in a Class B as they have minimal room and has been pointed out large Class A motorhomes with gas engines are dogs and suck gas (much like a one ton truck). We live in the NE corner of Medina County near Medina Lake by the way.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:44 AM   #33
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Although the OP inquired about pulling a TT with a Tahoe I thought I'd make this comment about a MH since we've migrated in that direction.

A guy pulled into the campground on Friday parked across from us. Set up and spent the night after getting all hooked up. The next day and Sunday, both days, he unhooked everything, fired that big thing up and disappeared for most of the day returning in the afternoon. Reconnected everything and did whatever he was doing at the campsite - no toad. That is a no go for me from the gitgo. We like to go and do everywhere we go and to do so in a large Class A just seems like nonsense to me. I know others will feel differently but that's JMO - YMMV.
Always said that if I go to a Class A that I'll buy a old CJ-5 rag top to pull behind it.. easy to tow and fun to drive around.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #34
travelin texans

When we were about to retire we contemplated all forms of travel from motorhomes to TTs, but due the fact that we already had 5th wheel & dually we'd try the fulltiming in it 1st, we traded for a bigger 5 the wheel the 2nd month out as we needed more room.
As George said a Class B would never work, you have to go outside to change your mind let alone try to change clothes. Also had friends that had a 30-32' Class C with the full wall slide that if one of them stood up the other better sit as there was no room to pass.
Before we traded up 5th wheels we looked at Class As only to decide that what we wanted/thought we needed was WAY too much money. Not to mention still would absolutely need a toad. As I told one fellow in a Class A pulling his SUV that "at least with my setup I can back up about anywhere" to which he responded "so can I.............for about a foot!".
We all have make our own decisions on what works best for us!.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #35
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Always said that if I go to a Class A that I'll buy a old CJ-5 rag top to pull behind it.. easy to tow and fun to drive around.
When we bought a class c in 1986? that's what we ended up with. Nothing like getting all settled in and the wife needs some baby food. That was before automatic levelers (I guess) so it took a while to get all settled in again. I bought an old 1973? CJ5 from the wife's school principal. It had been burned and had a new fiberglass body on it. Very light weight. I pulled it with a $40 JC Whitney tow bar. We were somewhere in maybe South Dakota and about to run out of gas. I saw a tall billboard with a great gas price. Pulled in the parking lot and it had knee high weeds, closed. Only way out, I had to back the jeep into ditch while I was sideways on a farm road. I'm thinking all I need is a rancher going 80mph to come over that hill, t-bone us and kill everybody. I switched out the OEM 35 gallon gas tank for a aftermarket 55 gallon. Ford 460 could get 8mpg downhill out of Pagosa Springs.
But I still think about a MH.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #36
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Sometimes I miss the B+ we had for a year, like when you have to go, just pull over, of if you want to have coffee & a bite pull over start the gen.
Didn't like the corner bed of the rattling of dishes going down the road. Mileage wasn't bad about 10.5 had a 6.0 LS. If it was a diesel & had better sleeping might have still had it.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #37
wiredgeorge

Drove a Jeep for two weeks when out at the railhead attached to Barstow Air Station. Was there on a 2 week summer camp (it was winter) when attached to the 86th Truck Company and we were there to unload trains carrying mechanized units; jeeps, duece & 1/2s, etc. Since i was the SENIOR LIGHT TRUCK driver (I drove the fuel truck) and had never driven a Jeep, the company commander (a dumb young ROTC 2nd LT) made me his driver; lasted one day. First corner went in hot and two wheels lifted in the corner. LT got his own jeep and I put my clubs in the back and headed over to the golf course on the Air Base. That railhead was kind of spooky as they bussed in a bunch of workers every day who remanufactured Viet Nam era mechanized hardware, smeared it with cosmolene and lined all that stuff up in straight rows. Guess they gave it away or sold it to 3rd world allies? Dunno but I never had the urge to drive a jeep after that.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #38
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Drove a Jeep for two weeks when out at the railhead attached to Barstow Air Station. Was there on a 2 week summer camp (it was winter) when attached to the 86th Truck Company and we were there to unload trains carrying mechanized units; jeeps, duece & 1/2s, etc. Since i was the SENIOR LIGHT TRUCK driver (I drove the fuel truck) and had never driven a Jeep, the company commander (a dumb young ROTC 2nd LT) made me his driver; lasted one day. First corner went in hot and two wheels lifted in the corner. LT got his own jeep and I put my clubs in the back and headed over to the golf course on the Air Base. That railhead was kind of spooky as they bussed in a bunch of workers every day who remanufactured Viet Nam era mechanized hardware, smeared it with cosmolene and lined all that stuff up in straight rows. Guess they gave it away or sold it to 3rd world allies? Dunno but I never had the urge to drive a jeep after that.
I wish my Jeep was covered in cosmolene! I have an old 97 tj that I spend more time welding together as rusted parts shed off of it. Frame looks like an erector set . It’s my beater for summertime around the neighborhood
Old 12-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Since we've drifted to Jeeps...for a second ; always thought the CJs were neat looking but impractical. Bought larger 4x4 type units. DD and husband asked me if I could find them a CJ somewhere (they were in Dallas).

Long story short; bought one for them that needed work and that was OK with SIL...not really. Gave it back to me and being me, rebuilt it from stern to stern replacing everything but some of the metalwork. My experience prior to that with a smaller 4x4 was a friends Suzuki Samurai- what a.....terror. Small lift on the Jeep (CJ7) new everything underneath, new engine, top, interior etc. I LOVED that thing. Folks don't understand, and neither did I, the inherent abilities of a CJ7. Took folks all over the place with all kinds of vehicles and the CJ just kept chugging and outperforming. Tight turns/spots (Black Bear Pass) no problem. Yep, I'd take one with me....and another vehicle I just gave away (she had served me well).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:09 AM   #40
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Since we've drifted to Jeeps...for a second ; always thought the CJs were neat looking but impractical. Bought larger 4x4 type units. DD and husband asked me if I could find them a CJ somewhere (they were in Dallas).

Long story short; bought one for them that needed work and that was OK with SIL...not really. Gave it back to me and being me, rebuilt it from stern to stern replacing everything but some of the metalwork. My experience prior to that with a smaller 4x4 was a friends Suzuki Samurai- what a.....terror. Small lift on the Jeep (CJ7) new everything underneath, new engine, top, interior etc. I LOVED that thing. Folks don't understand, and neither did I, the inherent abilities of a CJ7. Took folks all over the place with all kinds of vehicles and the CJ just kept chugging and outperforming. Tight turns/spots (Black Bear Pass) no problem. Yep, I'd take one with me....and another vehicle I just gave away (she had served me well).
When we moved to Denver in '74 I owned a 4x4 Blazer didn't take long to realize that while a lot of fun down here it wasn't really suited to Colorado so I sold it and bought an old International 3/4 ton Travelall, now that thing was heavy.. but it went everywhere it would fit..

We came home for Christmas in '76 and I bought a brand spanking new 1977 Jeep Renegade CJ-5... man was that thing fun.. and it opened up many more places for the three of us to explore.

We drove that CJ-5 as our only car for the rest of the time we lived in Colorado and even after we moved back to Texas it was our go to transportation until April 27, 1983 when I collided with a 77 Chrysler Imperial head on at over 70 mph...

That was the end of that CJ-5 and I ordered an '84 Ford F250 diesel from my hospital bed...

Tags
tow, tow vehicle