Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2020, 07:10 AM   #1
TinaMBee1

roof type

How do you tell what type of roof surface you have? TPO/EPDM seems to be the thing? I have a 2014 Keystone Passport model 2300BH. Mine does not have a slide out though which is all the type of floor plan I can find online. After I clean it I was thinking I'd put some type of rubber roof treatment on it. Looking at Protect All Rubber roof treatment of Dicor roof guard.
TinaMBee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:18 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Here's how.
https://youtu.be/KL5qJw397Rc

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
Campermike

The 2300BH has a slide. You must have a different model. FWIW my 2013 2300BH has a TPO roof. Most roof patches and sealants etc work for both types of roof...
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:19 AM   #4
TinaMBee1

I'm so clueless, so how do I figure out what model I have. So if I get some type of rubber roof treatment - Dicor or some other brand - it will work for EPDM or TPO?
Old 05-07-2020, 07:07 AM   #5
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMBee1 View Post
I'm so clueless, so how do I figure out what model I have. So if I get some type of rubber roof treatment - Dicor or some other brand - it will work for EPDM or TPO?

I think I am answering your question...TPO roofs don’t require any treatment. Just cleaning with a mild household cleaner like dawn.

EPDM roofs require treatment only if they are “chalking” and the roof is cleaned the same way as TPO. If your roof is chalking, Alpha Systems (the manufacturer) recommends treating it with Protect All brand UV protectant. I have never used it but I think this is what they are referring to-

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Roof-T.../dp/B002BU4KQ2

The roof should be cleaned at least twice a year.

Both roof systems require the seals to be checked every 90 days or so for cracks or voids. Any cracks or voids in the seals should be fixed with either Alpha Systems 1021 self leveling sealant (for TPO) or Dicor self leveling sealant (for TPO or EPDM)

You probably have a TPO roof. If you take down the vent trim on the inside of the bathroom roof vent (four screws) you should be able to see the extra part of the roof membrane in the vent hole. TPO is white on both sides and EPDM is black on the bottom.

Here is a video on what I do-

https://youtu.be/KlhVYQgVVM8
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Mike addressed the roof. I think you were asking about the model of the trailer. On your trailer title there should be a VIN number. This should also be on a label with your axle weight ratings and tire information located on the driver side front of the trailer. You can call Keystone and with that VIN they can tell you your model number.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
Campermike

Just a guess... but it's probably a 238ML that you have. If you have a queen bed, and bunk but no slides in a 23' box that looks like the likely model you have.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

You should find a decal next to the entry door with the model number on it. Keystone has used that method of labeling models for about 15 years now. You'll also find several other decals, many "boastful ones" about things like "blizzard pack" or "Arctic Pack", etc. But there is (unless someone removed it) a decal next to the entry door, usually right beside or right under the hand grip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04c1227cd05243ebbdb49afeb383c567.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	27171   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6B8F54C-8922-4CAB-A359-F3FA7E43C8E7.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	27172   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB4532CB-46ED-427E-87C2-E417F4C8551B.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	27173  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #9
TinaMBee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campermike View Post
Just a guess... but it's probably a 238ML that you have. If you have a queen bed, and bunk but no slides in a 23' box that looks like the likely model you have.
I looked online on the Keystone web site and it looks like the 238ML is indeed the model I have. I guess I could contact Keystone to confirm but probably won't bother.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:49 AM   #10
TinaMBee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You should find a decal next to the entry door with the model number on it. Keystone has used that method of labeling models for about 15 years now. You'll also find several other decals, many "boastful ones" about things like "blizzard pack" or "Arctic Pack", etc. But there is (unless someone removed it) a decal next to the entry door, usually right beside or right under the hand grip.
thanks for the suggestion about the decal! I'll check it out for sure.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:53 AM   #11
TinaMBee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I think I am answering your question...TPO roofs don’t require any treatment. Just cleaning with a mild household cleaner like dawn.

EPDM roofs require treatment only if they are “chalking” and the roof is cleaned the same way as TPO. If your roof is chalking, Alpha Systems (the manufacturer) recommends treating it with Protect All brand UV protectant. I have never used it but I think this is what they are referring to-

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Roof-T.../dp/B002BU4KQ2

The roof should be cleaned at least twice a year.

Both roof systems require the seals to be checked every 90 days or so for cracks or voids. Any cracks or voids in the seals should be fixed with either Alpha Systems 1021 self leveling sealant (for TPO) or Dicor self leveling sealant (for TPO or EPDM)

You probably have a TPO roof. If you take down the vent trim on the inside of the bathroom roof vent (four screws) you should be able to see the extra part of the roof membrane in the vent hole. TPO is white on both sides and EPDM is black on the bottom.

Here is a video on what I do-

https://youtu.be/KlhVYQgVVM8
so it sounds like a good washing of the roof is in order. Also seems like a roof cleaner with a UV 'shield' in it wouldn't hurt the EPDM or the TPO roof,
Old 05-08-2020, 06:18 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Keep in mind washing the roof with Dawn (or any dish detergent) will remove any wax on the outside that 4he soap comes in contact with.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:45 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMBee1 View Post
so it sounds like a good washing of the roof is in order. Also seems like a roof cleaner with a UV 'shield' in it wouldn't hurt the EPDM or the TPO roof,
Most "manufacturer's roof cleaning products" (From Alpha Systems or DICOR) have instructions for use. On most, the first step is to mask the sides of the trailer to protect the FILON or the aluminum siding from coming in contact with the roof cleaning solution.....

Unless you've got a "team of helpers who know what they're doing" buying and using a TPO/EPDM roof cleaner is not something for a lone trailer owner to "jump at without knowing the pitfalls"....

If you're determined to do it, before you buy the expensive products, go to a camper parts store, pick up the bottle and read the instructions for use.... Then, if you're like most of us, you'll go to WalMart, but a small bottle of "blue Dawn" and go home to do it the cheap, easy way.... You'll still need to wash and rewax the trailer sidewalls, but at least you won't have the damage to the finish that you "might get by miss using the strong stuff that really doesn't do a better job, just a "more expensive job"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-15-2020, 02:26 AM   #14
Bill-2020

Hang on there... Is that 238ML roof walkable?
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:01 AM   #15
Hugo-H

And how does one know what kind of roof is on the trailer?
I asked this also a time ago, because I just acquired a 2017 31BHPR trailer, and I saw recently that the front cap starts getting loose on one side at the top.

So someone sended me a link for dicor products...but now, I start searching it to buy here in Belgium (Europe where I live), and I came along a kind of "sealant", white color, which mentioned that it is NOT for american trailer roofs TPO...
What is the difference between TPO and EPDM?
(I am trying to insert here a pic of my roof, but seems to be not possible... I get a window to insert an http://-link, but the pic is local on my laptop)
Hugo-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

If the photo is on your laptop, click on the "paperclip" just to the right of the white smiley in the reply window. That will open a second window, click on BROWSE, select the photo, then click on UPLOAD in that window. The photo should appear just below the "BROWSE" boxes. then close that window and click on "submit" and the post with photos should appear in the thread.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #17
Hugo-H

something like this?
I "attached" 2 pics...
Thx a lot if this will be displayed on the forum...
..one more question, about the dicro product..can someone share me a pic of the "contents" that the product is made off?... so I get a specific search here at my place for a suitable product to "repair" the roof.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 17.30.45.png
Views:	83
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	27330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 16.52.15.png
Views:	75
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	27331  
Hugo-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #18
TinaMBee1

clean camper roof

Yesterday after work got the front cleaned which took 2 hours of hard scrubbing with straight Dawn. My mom is the cleaning wizard. She worked detailing cars for an auto auction for years. We tried 4 different things to get that mold/black stuff off and straight Dawn was the winner. Took a lot of scrubbing though! This morning we washed the roof and washed/waxed the sides which took 3 hours. Whew! And in case you're interested my mom is 88 years young. She's in better health than probably any one of us young un's I couldn't have done it without her. Thanks for all of the advice and special thanks to TallEddie who answered a BOATLOAD of questions off forum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clean camper .jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	700.6 KB
ID:	27332  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #19
TinaMBee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Hang on there... Is that 238ML roof walkable?
no - we decided that it is not walkable. Seems the rule of thumb - if there is a permanent ladder then it's walkable. No ladder - not walkable.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:43 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo-H View Post
something like this?
I "attached" 2 pics...
Thx a lot if this will be displayed on the forum...
..one more question, about the dicro product..can someone share me a pic of the "contents" that the product is made off?... so I get a specific search here at my place for a suitable product to "repair" the roof.
DICOR self leveling sealant is what I'd use. You may not be able to find it in Europe, I don't know....

You can contact DICOR and explain where you are, ask them if they know of a suitable substitute that you can find locally.

Their website is: https://dicorproducts.com/ and there is a "contact" link along the top bar.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
roof