Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
Icantdrive55

Adding hitch to toy hauler for grill/cargo basket?

I'll preface this with the fact I fully understand why hitches weren't included, and extra precautions that are needed when doing something like this, especially with a ramp/tailgate that can be opened from the inside.

That said, has anyone added anything like this to a toy hauler? I'd like to add a cargo basket to secure some extra goodies, especially some kayaks that just won't fit in the garage due to the fact its my mobile office. Even if I abandon the kayak/basket idea, it'd be nice to have a hitch-mounted grill/smoker and not have to lug something like that inside the living area during transport.
Icantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:15 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

First off, understand that the further back you go from the axles the more bounce you have. If you can get a receiver welded to the frame, maybe the kayaks will be ok if they are strapped in solid. Don’t know that I would put a 100 pound grill back there. Camera for sure!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
Icantdrive55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
First off, understand that the further back you go from the axles the more bounce you have. If you can get a receiver welded to the frame, maybe the kayaks will be ok if they are strapped in solid. Don’t know that I would put a 100 pound grill back there. Camera for sure!!
Fair point. I've looked and while running the risk of a leak, it seems I can run tie-down straps around/inside the ramp door to hold a kayak or two flush against the back, but didn't consider the grill bouncing around. Since I've barely worked out all the issues, I'll be moving the trailer for the first time since ownership soon, gotta figure out how much of an earthquake actually happens back here. I've seen some clever mods done, but clever does not equal smart/safe.
Icantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantdrive55 View Post
Fair point. I've looked and while running the risk of a leak, it seems I can run tie-down straps around/inside the ramp door to hold a kayak or two flush against the back, but didn't consider the grill bouncing around. Since I've barely worked out all the issues, I'll be moving the trailer for the first time since ownership soon, gotta figure out how much of an earthquake actually happens back here. I've seen some clever mods done, but clever does not equal smart/safe.
You'd be surprised, maybe shocked how much stuff will move and bounce around back there. I've never strapped anything to any trailer I've ever owned butI did have a Hydralift motorcycle carrier on the back of the Itasca motorhome. Lift was around 250+# and bike over 900. It's a solidly mounted lift welded to the frame. Looking in the rear camera led me to add another pair of straps for 6 total. That helped control the wiggle some. Trailer frames are no where near as beefy as a Freightliner frame and anything attached to a trailer frame isn't going to be very solid. I might suggest a double hitch assembly with 2 receivers welded to the frame members straight out the back and your grill/??? rack with 2 mounting tubes. That will reduce the wiggle of a single mounting like a trailer hitch. Think bike rack on the back of a car/truck that's hitch mounted.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

How long are the kayaks? You have a max height of 13' 4" I believe. That's pretty close. Mounting in the roof of your TV may be better.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
Canonman

There is a shop here in SLC that installs frame mounted hitches exactly as you describe.
No magic, the mounts are welded to the frame then the cross tube runs through the mount plates and welded to them. As said, the cargo rack on the back of a trailer will have a fair degree of "see-saw" action. But, this is the best way to attach a cargo rack or bike rack or what have you. The rack won't fall off but just be sure anything you put on the rack is well secured. As Chuck said, a camera is a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88150763_2748311278592277_1746280161491288064_o.jpg
Views:	2434
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	25417  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, toy hauler