Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #21
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
And he doesn't even know it's back there. Oh yeah, almost forgot, he gets 35 m.p.g. towing.
You forgot to mention that the dealer assured him it would tow just fine, but he might see a small fuel economy decrease.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:39 AM   #22
LewisB

To the OP:
In post #1 you state you are "new to towing"; then in post #10 you state you "have a 30 foot TT you have used close to home". It sounds like you have already landed at that stage where a major upgrade is in store. You were thinking trailer and from the advice offered here you are realizing correctly that it also means tow vehicle.

Post #17 is the best advice of all when JimJan states "... get more truck than you need for the camper the you want now because a bigger - better one is most likely in your future." I'm guessing that a large percentage of the members of the forum would add an "amen" to that statement! We have all been where you are at now - wanting a bigger trailer and realizing we need a bigger truck. For many of us (including me), we've sung this tune multiple times - purchased ever increasing sized rigs.

So, if you already know that "camping/RVing" is in your future, you will already know that you are going to ultimately want bigger stuff. Take JimJan's advice! Buy TWICE the truck you think you will need. Otherwise, two or three years from now, when the DW decides she wants a king bed and you want to bring the boat or haul the kids or...etc., you may be in exactly the same spot. JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:12 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
To the OP:
In post #1 you state you are "new to towing"; then in post #10 you state you "have a 30 foot TT you have used close to home". It sounds like you have already landed at that stage where a major upgrade is in store. You were thinking trailer and from the advice offered here you are realizing correctly that it also means tow vehicle.

Post #17 is the best advice of all when JimJan states "... get more truck than you need for the camper the you want now because a bigger - better one is most likely in your future." I'm guessing that a large percentage of the members of the forum would add an "amen" to that statement! We have all been where you are at now - wanting a bigger trailer and realizing we need a bigger truck. For many of us (including me), we've sung this tune multiple times - purchased ever increasing sized rigs.

So, if you already know that "camping/RVing" is in your future, you will already know that you are going to ultimately want bigger stuff. Take JimJan's advice! Buy TWICE the truck you think you will need. Otherwise, two or three years from now, when the DW decides she wants a king bed and you want to bring the boat or haul the kids or...etc., you may be in exactly the same spot. JMHO

I think this is probably correct for most folks, but some, like myself, really enjoy (seemingly ) going in to buy a new truck every 3 mos./3 yr. just to hear the sales guy tell you how much less your vehicle is worth than what you paid. The jolt! That sickening feeling of knowing - here we are again, and I'm going to get yet another slightly different truck....THIS time it will be different....THIS time I'm not going to get something larger/different/with a "washer and dryer" etc. And, like a gambling addict, you sign on the dotted line, take that new, incrementally larger vehicle home hoping THIS time you're going to "win it all", "beat the house"....yet knowing deep inside that the value of that new truck dropped by thousands when you walked out the door and as soon as you talk to the next sales guy he will confirm that for you....plus, DW was just talking about wishing we had a 4 seat UTV to go in a toy hauler as you were walking out. Ahhh, what's that? That sickening feeling returning? The knowledge that you will yet again prove that you can't beat the house operating in this manner. WHY oh WHY didn't you just buy way more truck than you needed? What!!?? And deprive oneself of this self inflicted misery?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:29 AM   #24
Tuz5150
Gone Traveling

I'm the opposite.... I bought way more rig then we wanted (it was awesome deal)... all we carry is surfboards, mt bikes and board shorts........ We don't need W/D

it's also an X-lite... my pin weight loaded with all our crap is only 1463.... CAT scaled it, to verify weights on axles, payload, tires, etc.

I LEASE a brand new silverado 1500, with max tow package, payload 2250. I drive with 2 fingers, and it tows/drives like a dream.

did 8,000 miles last year. I get 15k miles per year...

AND I get a brand new truck every 24 months.... current lease $268/month
Tuz5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:22 AM   #25
jtharding

I used to tow that trailer with a Ram 2500 6.4 with ease. Dont think a 1/2 ton will be sufficient..
jtharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuz5150 View Post
I'm the opposite.... I bought way more rig then we wanted (it was awesome deal)... all we carry is surfboards, mt bikes and board shorts........ We don't need W/D

it's also an X-lite... my pin weight loaded with all our crap is only 1463.... CAT scaled it, to verify weights on axles, payload, tires, etc.

I LEASE a brand new silverado 1500, with max tow package, payload 2250. I drive with 2 fingers, and it tows/drives like a dream.

I'm not aware of WD with a 5th.
So, you'release had no "upfront" or "down" money? No end of lease money? The lease terms are O.K. with poking holes in the bed for a FW hitch? That's some lease term!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #27
Tuz5150
Gone Traveling

Quote:
I'm not aware of WD with a 5th.
So, you'release had no "upfront" or "down" money? No end of lease money? The lease terms are O.K. with poking holes in the bed for a FW hitch? That's some lease term!
$0 down, $0 security deposit, $0 end of lease fee.
Hitch attached using OEM Reese kit. then removed at turn in.

I have not bought a truck EVER!
Old 03-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
$0 down, $0 security deposit, $0 end of lease fee.
Hitch attached using OEM Reese kit. then removed at turn in.

I have not bought a truck EVER!
What OEM Reese kit is available for any 150/1500 truck that doesn't require drilling the bed, mounting underbed adapters and installing a set of bed rails/cutting 3" holes for OEM adapter kit?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #29
Tuz5150
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What OEM Reese kit is available for any 150/1500 truck that doesn't require drilling the bed, mounting underbed adapters and installing a set of bed rails/cutting 3" holes for OEM adapter kit?
The OEM kit attaches to the frame using exiting holes... it requires 4 holes in the bed to attach the rails. Not sure why you have a problem with this? (not that I care)

It is what it IS.... a LEASE, that does NOT prohibit the use of a 5 wheel hitch. Go to your GM dealer and ask. Ford, or Ram may be different.... I'm telling you what I have.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #30
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
The OEM kit attaches to the frame using exiting holes... it requires 4 holes in the bed to attach the rails. Not sure why you have a problem with this? (not that I care)

It is what it IS.... a LEASE, that does NOT prohibit the use of a 5 wheel hitch. Go to your GM dealer and ask. Ford, or Ram may be different.... I'm telling you what I have.
Calm down. It's not that we doubt you but that we've never heard this before and want to make sure we are talking the same thing.

We also don't want someone to go out think this true for all leases. If it is something special only available to you, then the info is not of much use to others. If it is something new or something coming into the market place, then that would be valuable to a lot of people.

No need to get your panties in a wad.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Do you mean "The AFTERMARKET kit" ??? There is NO OEM Reese fifth wheel hitch kit for any 150/1500 truck. None of the manufacturers rate or certify their half ton trucks for fifth wheel towing. Chevrolet/GMC doesn't offer a "OEM" fifth wheel kit that I can find. Do you have any information on where I can find the information regarding the OEM parts for the half ton truck ???

And, What Chip said about all of us wanting to "learn what you found"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Just so folks here are informed (don't want to have your blood pressure go up again), the listed pin weight I can find is 1,405 lbs. How do you manage to load it up, I assume you have a battery and propane, and only add 58 lbs. to the pin? Since you have "CAT scaled it" Do you still maintain a 20% pin weight?

Curious minds want to know.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #33
Tuz5150
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Just so folks here are informed (don't want to have your blood pressure go up again), the listed pin weight I can find is 1,405 lbs. How do you manage to load it up, I assume you have a battery and propane, and only add 58 lbs. to the pin? Since you have "CAT scaled it" Do you still maintain a 20% pin weight?

Curious minds want to know.
Bullied on an RV forum by the *Site Team* THAT'S RICH! I came here to learn more about RVs, I never imagined I'd be bullied for stating facts.

Let's have a show of hands of the bully's.... who is an engineer, or is in any technical aspect of product development at any of the Detroit Auto manufacturers? (I'll wait)

For those Reese expert/engineers, what part(s) of the all new Silverado were/was modified to accommodate the Reese hitch package? (I' can wait more)

As far as my blood pressure.... not to worry, I just retired at 50, and so did the wife.....

Site team... isn't it your job to police the Bully? But wait, how do you police yourselves?
Old 03-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #34
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Bullied on an RV forum by the *Site Team* THAT'S RICH! I came here to learn more about RVs, I never imagined I'd be bullied for stating facts.

Let's have a show of hands of the bully's.... who is an engineer, or is in any technical aspect of product development at any of the Detroit Auto manufacturers? (I'll wait)

For those Reese expert/engineers, what part(s) of the all new Silverado were/was modified to accommodate the Reese hitch package? (I' can wait more)

As far as my blood pressure.... not to worry, I just retired at 50, and so did the wife.....

Site team... isn't it your job to police the Bully? But wait, how do you police yourselves?
We were asking you to expound because it was the first and only post of it's kind on this forum. I thought I explained that pretty well.

We want and need to share new or changed information with members. What you shared is beyond everyone else's experience so if we questioned your info it's because we wanted to be sure and we wanted to learn something new from you. If you felt insulted or belittled then that's your interpretation. You were acting defensive for no reason. When the moderators said something we were hoping you'd take the hint and calm down. Obviously not. Check you messages, we will take this off line.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #35
busterbrown

Not than ANYone has ANYthing to prove to ANY online forum member (except that lawyer, insurance adjuster, or judge who's deciding on the fate of an accident or traffic event)....but a trip to the CAT scales will be ANYone's best friend when it comes to the final verdict. That and a picture of the driver's side door jam placard.

To the OP, this is a great video that a YT fulltimer posted describing many of the towing principles that every newbie should understand. I think it will help:

Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #36
LewisB

Quote:

Hey, no one is trying to bully you - we are trying to understand. As just another member I can tell you that the site team does a great job at their work and doesn't need to bully anyone. The problem is, when something seems too good to be true, it probably isn't. You've made some odd statements that make your data questionable (payload list doesn't include passengers, food, water, batteries, fuel, etc., you have a truck that is not rated by Chevy to even pull a 5th wheel, unbelievable lease agreement that would take a dealer 15 years to recap initial cost at interest free rates, etc.).

So humor us; think of yourself as the "teacher" and us as your "students" - don't be defensive. Share your data for all of us to see. Share your truck and trailer weight stickers and your scale tickets. Help us out!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #37
Gegrad

Yeah, I will second it (or 3rd it? 4th it?). We are very open to learning new things, but none of us have seen anything like what you have. We just want to learn more so we can share with others the details for the future. Treat it like you discovered a new species and want to share it with us. Many of us would be interested in partaking in your experience, honestly.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #38
Ken / Claudia

I did not read any bullying. I also did not read much of any reasonable questions being answered. Just the standard counter strike and complain.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #39
Huntme

if the poster get offended that easy,maybe He or She should not get on these sites.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #40
Northofu1

There were inconsistencies in what he was saying. The GCVWR even with the max towing model would not cover his TV and 5er. Hope he comes back to get some clarity in his situation.
Pulled this from the pullrite site, so maybe they do cater to 1/2 tons.
#2768 ISR Series 20K Custom Mounting Kit for 2019-2020 Chevy/GMC 1500 Trucks

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing