Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #21
vampress_me

Never had an issue with it. I do know I’m not really concerned about it.

First we had a 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins. It’s issue was a cracked block Dodge knew about but wouldn’t fix (Cummins did) and it needed a new track bar almost every year. Steering would get so loose it was dangerous to drive in winter until the new track bar went on, then good for another year. Had that truck for 13 years and 200,000 and some miles. It became the beater the hubby drove back and forth to the airport the last few years. Sold when it was so rusty the tailgate would lose a piece or two when you closed it, and they couldn’t replace the track bar anymore due to rust unless we started replacing more parts.

Bought a new 2009 F-350 SRW, had it for 6 years and 100,000 miles. No issues except when MN went to 20% biodiesel. That truck was rated for 5% and didn’t work well with 20%. So, traded it in for new 2016 F-350 SRW and put 37,000 miles on that one until we traded it in on a 2019 F-350 DRW. Only got DRW so we can tow a heavier fifth wheel, otherwise would still have the 2016. Now, granted, the new one only has about 8,000 miles on it since we just got it this summer and took it out west for 2 weeks, but no issues with steering in it.

None of our 4 trucks, Dodge and Ford, have ever had an issue with a death wobble. Closest we ever came to that was the track bar issue in the Dodge.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #22
larry337

I TRY not to fall into the brand loyalty trap but I kinda do. I just like Fords,I like the brand, the image, the history. We have 3, 17 F350, 13 Expedition, and my driver a 13 Focus. All bought new. My brother has 4 in his driveway. But full disclosure I've had 5 Ford Pickups and 5 Chevys over the years. My wife has had 2 full size Ford SUVs and 3 Chevys. Mixed in are various drivers from all three over the years with 2 kids who are now grown. Never an import. I know it don't matter anymore but im old school and you gotta stand for something right? I don't want it in my driveway. Anyway, all the cars and trucks I owned pretty much just did what I asked them to. Turn the key and go. I take care of them they take care of me. Sometimes they break and I fix it or I have to take it in. That's life. Try them and buy what you like. All 3 have been building trucks for 100+ years. You guys get way too emotional lol. If your worried about being the guy who gets death wobble then buy the Chevy and worry about being the guy who gets the Chevrolet exclusive to them bug. I don't know what that is cuz I don't read their boards. All 3 are outstanding choices and way over qualified to pull these RVs around our great country. Carry on!

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:23 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
This is to funny, where do you people come up with this? There`s a Lawyer suing for everything and it`s not about righting a wrong to it`s about them and fees.
Who is the best selling truck for the last 4 decades, certainly not the one with a converted farm tractor engine in it from the dust bowl era.

Not a conversation about "Ford vs the world". Just an observation by the poster wondering about current situations. Being the "best selling truck" truly has nothing to do with being the "best" truck....far more other considerations are involved. As has been mentioned many are sold and forced on those that don't like them as I have experienced - but that is then used to perpetuate "the myth". The definitive answer is what do YOU like as an owner....not what do "YOU" like as something to belittle the other guy because of those "sales" -of which so many are fleet sales...JMO...and I'm sure you'll agree.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
I TRY not to fall into the brand loyalty trap but I kinda do. I just like Fords,I like the brand, the image, the history. We have 3, 17 F350, 13 Expedition, and my driver a 13 Focus. All bought new. My brother has 4 in his driveway. But full disclosure I've had 5 Ford Pickups and 5 Chevys over the years. My wife has had 2 full size Ford SUVs and 3 Chevys. Mixed in are various drivers from all three over the years with 2 kids who are now grown. Never an import. I know it don't matter anymore but im old school and you gotta stand for something right? I don't want it in my driveway. Anyway, all the cars and trucks I owned pretty much just did what I asked them to. Turn the key and go. I take care of them they take care of me. Sometimes they break and I fix it or I have to take it in. That's life. Try them and buy what you like. All 3 have been building trucks for 100+ years. You guys get way too emotional lol. If your worried about being the guy who gets death wobble then buy the Chevy and worry about being the guy who gets the Chevrolet exclusive to them bug. I don't know what that is cuz I don't read their boards. All 3 are outstanding choices and way over qualified to pull these RVs around our great country. Carry on!

Larry, great post!!

I've owned all 3 as well and I feel an allegiance to ….what works best for me at the time. All of the big 3 make superior products compared to anyone else when dealing with towing. Pick your favorite and respect/admire the guy that picked something else and is happy/proud. Thanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:33 AM   #25
notanlines

Ever notice how the usual resident bashers jump onto a thread titled Ford Owners? Have to feel sorry for ‘em....it’s probably a sign of how the rest of their world is.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:19 AM   #26
Dave W

My '06 had a voilent 'death wobble' - fixed with new shocks and bushings. My '11 started to get one at ~40K, again fixed with new shocks and bushings and is still just fine at 125K. The '15-'17 Fords that have a problem are to be fixed via "TSB 18-2268 - Steering Oscillation"

Speaking of Dodge/Rams pick ups, OP, do your research on steering boxes, ball joints and front axle bearings.

What I'm saying is that they all have some sort of front end problem, even *gasp* some years of Rams have a 'death wobble': http://www.dodgeproblems.com/death-wobble/
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:37 AM   #27
SAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
When I went truck shopping, I saw the issue of the "death wobble" as related to the Ford trucks. I kept digging and researching and most of what I saw was traceable to wear in the steering components. I believe that when you get a death wobble it's time to start checking on the steering system.

In the end, I went for a 2015 F250 CC SRW gasser, with the standard bed.

You are correct!

bad steering parts and under preforming dampener

https://powerstrokehelp.com/superdut...th-wobble-fix/
SAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:19 AM   #28
Roscommon48

if buying new look at the 20 or 21 chevy....way cool.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:37 AM   #29
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
I like your style. My wife thought she wanted a import and I told her that she would have to park it down the street. LOL although I wasn't kidding. She ended up with a 12 Taurus SHO. She simply loves that car. She drove that everyday for work. It's a very nice car.
I currently have 5 fords and I love them all. They all run great and I dont take 3 of them out in the rain or wind LOL.
My 99 Crown Vic I got when my mom passed. It only has 53,000 miles. That car is still nice. It was a Iowa car so it had some rust and I had to replace a bunch of suspension parts.
My 15 F250 has been a good truck. There have been a few issues but when Ford cranks out millions of cars and trucks there is bound to be a couple of things to deal with. I have never mixed the DEF with fuel or put gas in my diesel. Chevy guys have to lift the hood to add DEF. What were they thinking?
If you are going to own a diesel you need to think once in a while. Some guys have some issues with that LOL
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:39 AM   #30
notanlines

I believe the new GM’s have seen the light and moved the intake for DEF. good on ‘em!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:45 AM   #31
Northofu1

Every vehicle has some type of flaw. Paint peeling, rust, death wobbles, VW electrical systems. Dodge's famous torsion bar era, and the list goes on. If you research the vehicle you're interested in and discover their flaw you decide whether or not you're prepared to accept it and ensure that it is properly watched and maintained.
If you are a licensed mechanic it should be easy to keep an eye on these flaws and maintain accordingly, if not, you need to find one that can. Mr Lube, Walmart and a host of other quick lube places can't spot these issues. If you change your own oil and lube your vehicle are you trained to spot these issues and maintain them? Maybe some can, the rest can't.
If you find a good dealership/ mechanic, hang on for dear life. You should know how much and approximately when the maintenance needs to be performed.
That's how I see it.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #32
LewisB

Last two trucks were F250 SRW and F450 DRW. Current is F350 DRW. We've had no death wobble issues with any of them.

Love our current truck - what a tow vehicle!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #33
Pmedic4

My non-RV Death Wobble experiences

While I haven't experienced this myself for my TV, when someone mentioned the weight of the diesel on the front end wears the parts causing the issue. From my experience as a Paramedic, all of our ambulances were Fords, and for the configuration my company used, the regulations (Federal KKK - go figure than regulation code number) required a diesel ambulance.

Sixty thousand miles, and the front ends would go out. Some wobbled, all drifted when driving, and required repair. Ambulances are exceptionally heavy vehicles, with all the cabinets and equipment required and the raised top. Not surprising they had these issues. We had a few other manufacturer vehicles, but I didn't have much experience with those in my 30 years of working.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #34
4everyoung

F 550

F 550 is overkill but can pull everything I have including my construction equipment. Mine is a 4 door with plenty of room.
4everyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

One word..maintenance. 3/4, 1 ton and up are hard on front end parts, particularly steering components. The more "steering inputs" while setting still or barely moving i.e. while parking, the higher the resistance and stresses on the components (anyone experienced driving a "non-assisted" steering vehicle?).

The commercial use or "rescue/municipality or government owned vehicles" typically get more professional maintenance, either contracted or in house than the "typical" consumer. Those vehicles typically have different drivers that won't have a steering issue "sneak up" on them. When John Q. drives his truck every day on his commute it's easy for him to get acclimated to the subtle change in the way it steers or handles until the "death wobble" or "unintentional lane change" get's his attention.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #36
Rdynbama

I have a 01 F250 that has never had any issues other than sloppy steering and after doing some checking it seems to be the nature of the beast
The 2011 450 has experienced it one time but the previous owner had it lifted with oversized tires
I but factory recommended tires on it and replaced a worn out steering sector and haven’t had another episode in almost 3 years

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

I had a 1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 that I bought new. It was a "remarkable 4x4". In about 1975 (after it was paid for) my DW allowed me to spend some money on BIG tires and wheels. I immediately started having front end problems ranging from steering drift to "rut riding" even though the tires were above the ruts, not in them... About every 5000 miles I was replacing the brass cones in the steering sector. In about 1985 I sold it to a neighbor (MAN I WISH I STILL HAD IT) and his first "mod" was to replace the tires/wheels with OEM size. He's still driving it and hasn't replaced the brass steering sector bushings since he bought it..... Death wobble ???? Happens to any vehicle, and in my FJ40, it was my "own damn fault".....

No problems with any of my F250/350 models, gas or diesel (so far)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #38
Hamlej

Death wobble! Never heard of it until I read this post. I've pulled out 5th wheel almost 10,000 in the last 9 months, over every type of road imaginable and never experienced it.

Larry and Linda Stetz
2018 Montana 3820FK
2019 Ford F350 Lariet DRW 14000# GVWR 6.7 Turbo Diesel
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #39
CaptnJohn

On f350 diesel #5. 3 short bed and 2 dually long bed. Never had but 1 problem with my last SB, slight oil leak fixes under warranty. I usually put 45k plus miles on annually. Much of that with a 16k 5er.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #40
firestation12

My 2017 F-250 developed a slight shimmy that occurred on 2 occasions at about 30,000 miles. Ford replaced the steering dampener under warranty and hasn't happened since. I didn't anything like what was described as a
"death wobble". 2 of my sons which both own 2007 2500 duramax trucks, both had their pitman arms fracture at about 80,000 miles, leaving their trucks without steering. breakage occurred at less than 5 mph when input to turn tires exerts the greatest stress on parts. We replaced the failed pitman arms with an improved version made by Cognito Motorsports. In my experience, none of the big 3 light truck manufacturers are exempt from these kinds of problems as they age.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford