Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobirds38 View Post
I agree, however I just spoke to the dealer and they said that 1,500 would be to stiff, they said I should have the 1,000???

Thoughts???
I agree with the dealer on this one. You need the 1,000 pound bars. With a GVW of 7000 pounds, you can reasonably expect a tongue weight of 10-15%, which is 700 - 1050 pounds. The 750 pound bars are too light and the 1500 pound bars, although they would work, are, IMHO, too stiff and would give you a "rougher ride over uneven roads".

That said, since you bought the SwayPro from that dealer, they should "work a deal" for you to exchange the current bars for the correct ones at a significantly reduced charge. I'd start by suggesting a "1:1 swap" with no money involved. They'll probably say no to that, then ask them what they will do, get their best offer and go from there.... At any rate, you should NOT be paying "full retail price" for bars that you need based on their previous mistake.....

ADDED: Keep in mind that if your future includes a larger trailer and you keep the same hitch, you may be buying the 1500 pound bars anyway... A compromise, if you're buying another trailer, might be to "accept the rougher ride" and get the larger bars now. Having larger bars that are capable of heavier tongue weights won't "hurt" your current rig, they'll just provide a stiffer towing experience.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #22
Gobirds38

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Keystone web site list the trailer GVWR @ 7,000 lb. If you split the difference of that 10%-15% tongue weight range and use 13% then 7,000 X .13 = 910. The 1,000 lb. bars should be correct. Exceeding that by 150% would make for a bouncy ride as the spring bars would be rigid and not flexing.
Thanks Flybouy, that is what the dealer said. But at 910, then add the hitch 80 LBS makes it 990 LBS, am I still good with the 1,000?

I just want to be safe, Rigid is not good either...

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:05 AM   #23
Gobirds38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree with the dealer on this one. You need the 1,000 pound bars. With a GVW of 7000 pounds, you can reasonably expect a tongue weight of 10-15%, which is 700 - 1050 pounds. The 750 pound bars are too light and the 1500 pound bars, although they would work, are, IMHO, too stiff and would give you a "rougher ride over uneven roads".

That said, since you bought the SwayPro from that dealer, they should "work a deal" for you to exchange the current bars for the correct ones at a significantly reduced charge. I'd start by suggesting a "1:1 swap" with no money involved. They'll probably say no to that, then ask them what they will do, get their best offer and go from there.... At any rate, you should NOT be paying "full retail price" for bars that you need based on their previous mistake.....

ADDED: Keep in mind that if your future includes a larger trailer and you keep the same hitch, you may be buying the 1500 pound bars anyway... A compromise, if you're buying another trailer, might be to "accept the rougher ride" and get the larger bars now. Having larger bars that are capable of heavier tongue weights won't "hurt" your current rig, they'll just provide a stiffer towing experience.
That's the deal I am trying first,(No Money). Our TT is a 2020, so no new one in the near future so far.
They said I would have to deal with the salesman, I told them that the RV dept installed it and I should deal with them...

Old 07-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobirds38 View Post
Thanks Flybouy, that is what the dealer said. But at 910, then add the hitch 80 LBS makes it 990 LBS, am I still good with the 1,000?

I just want to be safe, Rigid is not good either...
Yes, bear in mind that the 910 lb number is based on the MAXIMUM weight that the trailer is rated for. The actual weight will only be known if you weight it at the scales after you load it up.

The weight of the hitch receiver, head and one end of the spring bars are on the truck are on the truck. The tongue weight when under tension will be distributed among the 2 axles of the truck and the trailer axles. The only way to know that amount is by weighting the the rig on a CAT scale 3 times. Once connected with spring bars under tension, once with the bars with no tension but in p[lace, and then the truck alone.

I use a Sherline tongue weight scale https://www.sherline.com/product/she...-weight-scale/ so I know my tongue weight before hitching up and a visit to the scale will tell me the axle weights. Using the tongue scale I can shift the weight inside if necessary to balance out the load before hand while loading the camper.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

If the wdh was part of the deal whoever wrote the deal will be the one to "fix" this. In my experience that has always been the people that sold you the trailer. If the salesman made the error and gave you bars inadequate for the trailer he (the dealer) needs to make that right without charge to you. The difference in price between a hitch with 750lb. bars and 1000lb. is going to be tiny if anything. Same thing happened to me a few years back; gave me 1000lb. bars and should have been 1200. Didn't realize it until I got home and pulled the bars. Called dealer immediately and they provided heavier bars without charge. On the other hand, if you either specified the 1k bars or bought the unit after the fact then the circumstances will be different.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #26
Gobirds38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If the wdh was part of the deal whoever wrote the deal will be the one to "fix" this. In my experience that has always been the people that sold you the trailer. If the salesman made the error and gave you bars inadequate for the trailer he (the dealer) needs to make that right without charge to you. The difference in price between a hitch with 750lb. bars and 1000lb. is going to be tiny if anything. Same thing happened to me a few years back; gave me 1000lb. bars and should have been 1200. Didn't realize it until I got home and pulled the bars. Called dealer immediately and they provided heavier bars without charge. On the other hand, if you either specified the 1k bars or bought the unit after the fact then the circumstances will be different.
Went to the dealer today and exchanged my 750 bars for the 1000 LBS bars at NO CHARGE!!!
Thanks to everyone that posted...