Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2019, 03:07 AM   #1
TerriH

Ultra Lite Passport 2890RL

Can we tow this model with a dodge Ram 1500 truck with a regular hitch or do we need stabilizers? We only want to move the trailer once to our Seasonal Park about a half hour (40KM/25 Miles) away.
TerriH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #2
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

TT is about 7200 pounds.

Tow capacity of 1500 is about 7730 (could be as low as 4850) pounds when properly configured.

Properly configured generally means weight distributing hitch and brakes on the trailer.

Your owner guide for the truck will spell out the conditions for towing.

So no, distance is irrelevant if it's a public way.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #3
TerriH

Brand New empty trailer

Sorry, I neglected to mention that this is a brand new, never used trailer. Nothing in tanks and not loaded with anything. Specs say dry weight is about 5500 lbs.
TerriH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
Retired Copper

Welcome to the forum. You have some research to do and not knowing your truck specs one can only guess. You need to look inside the front door of the trailer for the yellow weight sticker for the trailer weight when it left the factory. most specs on the web are off by several hundred pounds. With it being a new trailer is a hitch included and what kind? I don`t know to many folks that think a trailer over 33 feet is a joy to tow with a regular half ton truck even if the numbers fit. If moving once you may can make it work but me personally would not tow on any regular bases no matter if the numbers fit which I doubt they will once all things are studied. Good luck and happy camping.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If it's a "new trailer" I'd suggest not attempting to tow it with an improperly equipped truck (regular hitch, etc). If your truck doesn't come with an OEM brake control or 7 pin wiring, then you'll need to add those items, even for a "one time, just a few miles journey"...

I'd recommend you talk to the dealership about delivering your new RV to the site where it will be parked. That may cost you $100-200, but when you consider that a brake control is $100, a equalizer hitch is $250 and installation of those two items is probably well over $100. You're looking at $400-500 to modify your current truck (for a one time trip). It's probably be significantly cheaper to have the dealership deliver the trailer.

If the dealer says, "We don't do deliveries" you might consider that as a signal that you also won't get warranty service if anything should need repair, so maybe a word of caution about that dealership ????? YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
MarkEHansen

I like John's idea, but go one step further - just call any towing or freight company. I'm sure you can find someone that will deliver that trailer for less than it would cost you to do it, and it could be done safely.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I like John's idea, but go one step further - just call any towing or freight company. I'm sure you can find someone that will deliver that trailer for less than it would cost you to do it, and it could be done safely.
Yup....

Maybe I didn't clarify my comments as well as I should have....

If the OP doesn't have the capability to tow the trailer, establishing some sort of "how are you going to support my warranty" regimen with the dealership is very important. Assume (I know, I know) that he has a "typical trailer" and that, during the first year of ownership, a few things need warranty repair... That means, either the OP will need to tow the trailer "more than his planned one time ever" or he will need to find someone to tow it back to the dealership for service..... Alternatively, if he negotiates with the dealership "BEFORE THE SALE" to arrange some sort of "on site" dealership support for warranty repairs (hopefully, on site) then he won't need to "drag it back to the dealer".... Otherwise, like all the rest of us, it won't be, "I only need to move it one time".... That almost NEVER happens and he'll need a tow vehicle or dealer support.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport