Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
Global Driver

Bearings Maintenence

Howdy y’all!

What have you all found as a realistic timeframe between bearing clean and packs? Once a year or can you drag it out with less mileage?
I pulled just under 1200 miles in the last 14 months.

Looking to do it myself as the quotes I’ve gotten seemed a bit steep. $400 for this what seems to be a simple task.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
ADQ K9

I have the easy lube axles on my TT and I have just put 3 K on it since new in the spring of 17. I plan on inspecting and lubing when it gets pulled out of storage this spring. I go by mileage instead of time.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Number 4

I'll let others answer your question about mileage and length of time (lots of threads already exist on this topic) so I'll just say that it's a very do-able project to repack bearings.

Watch some YouTube videos on the subject... here's a good one Buy one of these to make the job easier after removing old grease in a pan of gasoline and letting the bearings dry... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Purchase the appropriate grease, some new seals and a big roll (or two) of good paper towels. I did it myself several months ago. It's messy, it takes time but you learn a skill and save money.

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
Number 4

OOOPS! I just realized I jumped into HOW to instead of WHEN to, which was the question.

My apologies for assuming you don't already know the how to.

The usual answer is, "Standard tapered trailer wheel bearings are recommended to be re-packed with fresh bearing grease about every year or every 12,000 miles under normal use. In certain conditions this interval could be shorter, such as if you routinely tow the trailer under conditions of extreme heat or near its maximum load capacity."

I'll go at least two years before repacking because I don't put a lot of miles on my TT.
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Northofu1

I guess there's not a website that you can punch your trailer yr make model and figure what parts you need?

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
OOOPS! I just realized I jumped into HOW to instead of WHEN to, which was the question.

My apologies for assuming you don't already know the how to.

The usual answer is, "Standard tapered trailer wheel bearings are recommended to be re-packed with fresh bearing grease about every year or every 12,000 miles under normal use. In certain conditions this interval could be shorter, such as if you routinely tow the trailer under conditions of extreme heat or near its maximum load capacity."

I'll go at least two years before repacking because I don't put a lot of miles on my TT.
Both good posts, thanks for the info.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #7
Global Driver

Muchas Gracias for the info....it has been just over a year but low miles as I stated. Will get a repack sesssion going as soon as the weather warms up a bit.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
I have the easy lube axles on my TT and I have just put 3 K on it since new in the spring of 17. I plan on inspecting and lubing when it gets pulled out of storage this spring. I go by mileage instead of time.
If using the EZ lube, which I wouldn't, be sure to only give it a couple slow easy pumps while spinning the wheel. They were designed more for boat/utility trailers without brakes.
The EZ lube is not only a great way to lube the bearings but also a good way to grease up the brakes If pumped too much grease too fast. & the seals are worn or weak.
Also just FYI, pick up some mineral spirits or naptha at the home improvement store or brake cleaner, or even a gallon of WD40, for a safer less smelly way to clean up the bearings & spindles than gasoline.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If using the EZ lube, which I wouldn't, be sure to only give it a couple slow easy pumps while spinning the wheel. They were designed more for boat/utility trailers without brakes.
The EZ lube is not only a great way to lube the bearings but also a good way to grease up the brakes If pumped too much grease too fast. & the seals are worn or weak.
If they're that bad why did they come with them?

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #10
gearhead

1,200 miles in 14 months isn't much. If the trailer is new I would tear into the bearings and be sure everything is OK. Then if you still are towing such low mileage I would go 5 years. That's just me, some people repack every year. Your signature shows your trailer is a 2014. If you bought it new, have you inspected the bearings yet?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
If they're that bad why did they come with them?
That's the fun part of reading forums, deciding which answer is the route you want to take.

I've used bearing buddies with boat trailers and never greased my brakes. Just follow the directions and perform routine maintenance as directed by the manufacturer.

EZ Lube or Bearing Buddie doesn't mean no maintenance.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
Macgregor

"The EZ lube is not only a great way to lube the bearings but also a good way to grease up the brakes If pumped too much grease too fast."

They are not the same thing as Bearing Buddies designed for boat trailers. You may be confusing the two. Check out Lippert or Dexter websites to see how they function.
I had them on my previous trailer and used annually for 7 years just fine.
Macgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #13
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I guess there's not a website that you can punch your trailer yr make model and figure what parts you need?
Get under your trailer. There should be a paper tag glued to the bottom of the axle tube, about in the middle. Get the info off it. Take a pic with your phone. Call Dexter, assuming it is their axle. They will tell you your parts.
Be careful ordering from websites. There are several bearing and seal combinations for the same weight class axles.
Or, remove all the parts and go to your auto parts store with them. You will likely destroy the seals removing them. It will help to know the size (diameter) of the spindle where the grease seal rides...i.e.-2.125" or 2.250", etc.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

OP, my thoughts would be that the unit is a 2014. You sound like you are unfamiliar with the repacking of bearings and the frequency. How long have you had the trailer? Have you ever repacked the bearings?

1200 miles in the last 14 months doesn't warrant a repack. IF they haven't been checked since 2014 they need to be pulled, inspected and repacked right away.

Miles, heat and time will degrade the grease. I go about 2 years and have mine done (can't sit/squat long enough any more to get them done). Pull the rubber caps and look inside; do you see grease? Does it look fresh? If you see some brown, crusty, stiff goo you need to do something right away. If you have some nice, bright, stringy red grease that looks good you are probably in good shape...but, if you don't know when that was put in I would repack anyway to get a starting point.

$400 for a repack?? Someone is ripping you. If you can do it it will take an afternoon. I have mine done for $120 (included readjusting brakes) plus cost of bearings.....at my storage facility...!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #15
travelin texans

Not telling anyone not to use the EZ lube, just a caution as to what does/will happen if not done properly. Agree that using EZ lube DOES NOT mean you never need to pull them apart & do it properly by hand at whatever you deem appropriate mileage or age to inspect/adjust/replace brakes as well.
I do know that there is a slight difference between EZ lube & Bearing Buddies, but the principal is the same, ease of bearing lubrication without the trouble/mess of disassembly.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

There appears to be some misconception about the similarities/differences of the EZ Lube and Bearing Buddy systems.

The EZ Lube system is a series of drilled ports in the spindle that allow grease to be injected to the back of the spindle and then flow through the bearings to lubricate the spindle/bearing mechanism.

Bearing buddies are nothing more than a spindle cap with a spring loaded cup/plunger that allows the entire cavity to be filled with grease and the spring loaded plunger keeps pressure on the spindle/bearing cavity so when the axle is backed into cold water, the "rapid cooling" of the grease won't create a vacuum and draw water into the cavity.

They are two entirely different "animals" with two entirely different functions. I've never seen a bearing buddy spindle cap installed on a travel trailer although I'm sure some owner, somewhere probably decided it would be a good idea and may even have removed his EZ Lube spindle caps and installed a bearing buddy over the zerk fittings, although I believe that to install them you'd have to remove the zerk fitting..... Unless they're going to be backing down boat ramps, why would anyone do that???? Heaven only knows....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ LUBE DIAGRAM.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	20585   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEARING BUDDY 1.png
Views:	286
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	20587   Click image for larger version

Name:	bearing buddy 2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	20588  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #17
Global Driver

The trailer is a 2014 and I’m the second owner. I am unaware of when the bearings were last done as the previous owner didn’t disclose it to the dealer. The dealer was very quick to accomplish this task for $400. I quickly declined and went on my way.
I will be honest and say I haven’t gotten around to getting this done. I know it’s due and that’s why I’m here asking for the tips.

I am out of the country until early next week. I will have it completed before our next trip. Then I will readdress the timeframe in between. I think the 1200 miles a year will remain steady as I have young kids and can’t get away as much as we like.

Thanks y’all
Old 03-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #18
ChuckS

If you have basic mechanical skill sets you can and should do this job yourself.

It’s a 2014 ... unknown previous care... for a good peace of mind remove the wheels and hubs and clean and inspect the bearings, races , and condition of brake shoes at attaching hardware.

There are plenty of good iTube videos out there to help you accomplish this. Even replacing the races, seals and bearings is an easy task with minimal tools.

For less than $100 you could replace all four sets of bearings, races, seals .. clean and adjust brakes.. and have grease left over for next year.

Just saying...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:59 AM   #19
RoscoPColtrane

Thanks all for the good info. This is my first post in this forum; yay!

Regarding the info on Bearing Buddies, the owner of the 2016 Springdale 189flwe I'm looking to buy is telling me that they came with the trailer, but some info above makes it sound like they should be avoided. I have no problem, btw, repacking/ maintaining them myself, but I've also heard from a long-time RV shop owner that it's worth considering replacing the stock bearings with a higher-quality (American made?) version. Interested in y'all's thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
RoscoPColtrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:13 AM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPColtrane View Post
Thanks all for the good info. This is my first post in this forum; yay!

Regarding the info on Bearing Buddies, the owner of the 2016 Springdale 189flwe I'm looking to buy is telling me that they came with the trailer, but some info above makes it sound like they should be avoided. I have no problem, btw, repacking/ maintaining them myself, but I've also heard from a long-time RV shop owner that it's worth considering replacing the stock bearings with a higher-quality (American made?) version. Interested in y'all's thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Hand pack ONLY! DO NOT use the EZ lube zerks!!
When hand packing the 1st time replacing bearings/seals with American made is a good idea if what's there need replaced.
My last 5th wheel had 60k+/- miles with the factory bearings & still in good shape when I sold it.
If the previous owner used the EZ lube (as you say bearing buddies) I would recommend pulling a couple hubs to be sure the drums aren't full grease contaminating your brakes. If he just pumped grease into them odds are they're contaminated. If so buy the complete brake backing plates with new shoes/magnets installed, cost a few $$ more but much easier & a lot less mess.
Replacement undetermined