Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2019, 05:49 AM   #1
denamy1

Breaker Panel Question

I have a 2019 KEYSTONE COUGAR 367FLS. Does anyone know which ac breaker is the fridge on?
denamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
jsmith948

Well - it sorta depends. On our 2012 Cougar, the 120 vac fridge plug was on the same breaker as the converter. But...these trailers are never consistent when it comes to wiring and plumbing. One of our moderators has been to the factory and has stated that the same brand/model of trailer will vary from one unit to the next one coming down the assembly line.
One way to troubleshoot this: Turn all the breakers off. Plug a trouble light (or something similar) into the refer receptacle. Have someone watch the light as you turn one breaker on at a time.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
roadglide

I mayde wrong but I'm thinking the converter takes 120 and makes 12 volts for the for lights and furnaces and radio. The 120 volt appliances have nothing to do with the converter . I would check each plug individual with a meter or hair dryer and watch the frig for electric operation. The brakers are marked with stick on tag on my unit I'm not convinced there label correct.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #4
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I mayde wrong but I'm thinking the converter takes 120 and makes 12 volts for the for lights and furnaces and radio. The 120 volt appliances have nothing to do with the converter . I would check each plug individual with a meter or hair dryer and watch the frig for electric operation. The brakers are marked with stick on tag on my unit I'm not convinced there label correct.
If you will re-read my suggestion/answer, you might see that I did not imply that the converter had anything to do with the refer, or any other a/c appliance.
I simply stated that, on our 2012 Cougar the receptacle for the refer was connected to the same breaker as the converter

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 02-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
denamy1

I would most certainly check the receptacle for the fridge with a test light if I knew how to get to it.

It appears I would have to take the wall down that surrounds it if it's inside.

I did try trial and error on the breakers one at a time and the "Converter Breaker" did shut the fridge light off but not sure if that was shutting off there 12v converter and ac power to the fridge.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #6
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by denamy1 View Post
I would most certainly check the receptacle for the fridge with a test light if I knew how to get to it.

It appears I would have to take the wall down that surrounds it if it's inside.

I did try trial and error on the breakers one at a time and the "Converter Breaker" did shut the fridge light off but not sure if that was shutting off there 12v converter and ac power to the fridge.
Take the outside refer vent/panel off. The a/c cord and receptacle will be in the outside compartment.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 02-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
denamy1

ok I'll go try. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Take the outside refer vent/panel off. The a/c cord and receptacle will be in the outside compartment.
Would help to know if it's a rv fridge or a residendential.
That's if it's a rv 2 way fridge you're correct. If it's a residential fridge the plug us most likely behind a drawer or back of a cabinet next to the fridge.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #9
denamy1

Thank you everyone. Problem solved. The fridge is on the breaker marked 'GFI"

No it was not the residential fridge. Thank you for letting me know where it was plugged in as well. That was a big help. Now I can install my inverter.

I just need to learn how to wire the inverter to the particular breaker that I need powered. I do know electrical just not so much in an RV,
Old 02-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by denamy1 View Post
Thank you everyone. Problem solved. The fridge is on the breaker marked 'GFI"

No it was not the residential fridge. Thank you for letting me know where it was plugged in as well. That was a big help. Now I can install my inverter.

I just need to learn how to wire the inverter to the particular breaker that I need powered. I do know electrical just not so much in an RV,
Much more efficient to run the fridge on propane than electric. The constant draw of the heating element would run your batteries down quickly. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
cookinwitdiesel

Also, if it is the same breaker as the 12v converter, putting that breaker on the inverter would be a bit circular wouldn't it? You would have to do more than just power that one breaker off of the inverter - would have to do some rewiring or you would really do a number on the batteries.

Travel trailers and 5th wheels are not really meant to be heavily battery/inverter powered - if they were they would have a bank of batteries like a Class A does. Growing up, we had a 42' Class A and it had a bank of 8 deep cycle batteries just for supplying the (also large) inverter. That sort of weight in a trailer would be quite problematic.

The igniter for the propane already runs off of the 12v DC system so I would just run it on propane when no AC power is available.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #12
larryflew

Not sure that circular is a correct question since breakers are all 120 volt and 12 volt systems are fuses. Can you elaborate?
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
cookinwitdiesel

By circular I meant the battery charger being ran off of the batteries. A loop.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #14
BadmanRick

It is very dificult to add an inverter to power the refrig. The charge system on the tow vehicle may not put out enough amperage to charge the batteries and run an inverter. It is much easier to just run the refrigerator on propane. Then turn it all off when required to.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote