Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

5th Wheel Living

Up front - I don't own a 5th wheel but I wanted to share this just because I guess.

I had thought for years I would eventually go to a 5vr but after many, many surgeries on my knees I was worried about stability using those small steps trying to go to and from the bedroom....the pin in DWs leg sealed that thought so they're pretty much off our radar.

Having walked up/down lots of 5th wheel steps checking them out I know how tricky they can be for anyone with "wobbly" or insecure knees. Some don't even come with the handrail.

Our good friends that we have been traveling to FL with for a few years were to arrive on Jan. 1 this year instead of Nov. as usual. Last year they had bought a new Big Horn 5th wheel (they had always owned motorhomes) due to all the problems a Class A presents. When they brought it in we went through it and they had some issues which I tried to help with.

In the walk through I mentioned that we were worried about the steps to a bedroom and having to use them daily to go to/from bed. I warned them to be careful since they are about our age and aren't as agile as they used to be.

Fast forward to Sunday; when DW notified them that puppy had stuck her foot in my eye at 6am and we were headed to a doctor, she advised that her DH had fell on the steps and broke his foot. At this date/hour he will have surgery (VA in Pensacola ) to fix the foot. They are to be here on Jan. 1. Problem is the lady friend can't tow the trailer. Obviously he will have a cast when the surgery is complete and can't drive. I am going to offer to go over and pull the trailer back and let the girls follow in my truck. If that option wasn't available for them, what would they do? What would someone else do?

Just a heads up for folks to think about. Not trying to make anyone afraid of a fifth wheel, I still think I may want one, but trying to point out the issues that a person might run into with those steps as we get older - and, TO BE CAREFUL!!

As a side note, they are staying in Gulf Shores and LOVE IT but will have to leave Jan. 1.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:33 AM   #2
notanlines

Danny, I understand now why you have stayed with the TT. But for all the caution talked about, maybe you should have gotten a goldfish rather then a puppy....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Up front - I don't own a 5th wheel but I wanted to share this just because I guess.

I had thought for years I would eventually go to a 5vr but after many, many surgeries on my knees I was worried about stability using those small steps trying to go to and from the bedroom....the pin in DWs leg sealed that thought so they're pretty much off our radar.

Having walked up/down lots of 5th wheel steps checking them out I know how tricky they can be for anyone with "wobbly" or insecure knees. Some don't even come with the handrail.

Our good friends that we have been traveling to FL with for a few years were to arrive on Jan. 1 this year instead of Nov. as usual. Last year they had bought a new Big Horn 5th wheel (they had always owned motorhomes) due to all the problems a Class A presents. When they brought it in we went through it and they had some issues which I tried to help with.

In the walk through I mentioned that we were worried about the steps to a bedroom and having to use them daily to go to/from bed. I warned them to be careful since they are about our age and aren't as agile as they used to be.

Fast forward to Sunday; when DW notified them that puppy had stuck her foot in my eye at 6am and we were headed to a doctor, she advised that her DH had fell on the steps and broke his foot. At this date/hour he will have surgery (VA in Pensacola ) to fix the foot. They are to be here on Jan. 1. Problem is the lady friend can't tow the trailer. Obviously he will have a cast when the surgery is complete and can't drive. I am going to offer to go over and pull the trailer back and let the girls follow in my truck. If that option wasn't available for them, what would they do? What would someone else do?

Just a heads up for folks to think about. Not trying to make anyone afraid of a fifth wheel, I still think I may want one, but trying to point out the issues that a person might run into with those steps as we get older - and, TO BE CAREFUL!!

As a side note, they are staying in Gulf Shores and LOVE IT but will have to leave Jan. 1.
We're on our 3rd 5er & I've added handrails or handles at the steps on all of them. Plus our 1st one I upgraded the small entry handle to a much bigger foldable handrail.
Some of the TTs with the 2 or 3 entry steps are a real booger, feels like the 1st step out the door is a loooong way down.
I will also say that in some of the fancy diesel pushers the entry steps are a real hazard, steep, narrow, large rises & shallow treads, far more hazardous than any of our 5ers have been.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
jsmith948

"Fast forward to Sunday; when DW notified them that puppy had stuck her foot in my eye at 6am and we were headed to a doctor, she advised that her DH had fell on the steps and broke his foot. At this date/hour he will have surgery (VA in Pensacola ) to fix the foot. They are to be here on Jan. 1. Problem is the lady friend can't tow the trailer. Obviously he will have a cast when the surgery is complete and can't drive. I am going to offer to go over and pull the trailer back and let the girls follow in my truck. If that option wasn't available for them, what would they do? What would someone else do?"

We entered our 8th decade a year ago and worried that we might find ourselves in a similar situation. The DW is a really good driver, but has NO interest in learning to tow the 5er. Our solution was to purchase the "Good Sam Travel Assist" insurance.
Disclaimer: I have no interest in nor am I employed by Good Sam. Some will say the program is not worth the money - we like the peace of mind. YMMV

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
"Fast forward to Sunday; when DW notified them that puppy had stuck her foot in my eye at 6am and we were headed to a doctor, she advised that her DH had fell on the steps and broke his foot. At this date/hour he will have surgery (VA in Pensacola ) to fix the foot. They are to be here on Jan. 1. Problem is the lady friend can't tow the trailer. Obviously he will have a cast when the surgery is complete and can't drive. I am going to offer to go over and pull the trailer back and let the girls follow in my truck. If that option wasn't available for them, what would they do? What would someone else do?"

We entered our 8th decade a year ago and worried that we might find ourselves in a similar situation. The DW is a really good driver, but has NO interest in learning to tow the 5er. Our solution was to purchase the "Good Sam Travel Assist" insurance.
Disclaimer: I have no interest in nor am I employed by Good Sam. Some will say the program is not worth the money - we like the peace of mind.
YMMV

Yep, we are in the same boat so I have Travel Assist as well. I also carry a plan for AirMedCare for air ambulance coverage. Have no affilitation with either, just want the peace of mind.

If/when you need air transportation it is expensive. A friend of mine said his son was airlifted from Artesia NM to Lubbock TX and the bill was over 40k. That sounded crazy. Then, about 3 years ago the MIL had renal failure while I was in NM. The emergency room called and asked if I would authorize emergence transportation to Lubbock from Denver City TX, I said yes. She had been transported 2 previous times and it was always by ambulance which was pretty much covered by her insurance plan. When we got home I had a bill for thousands of dollars (don't remember the exact amount) because they had used a helicopter. I raised a ruckus because I wasn't advised and "assumed" it would be by ambulance. Long story short, I didn't have to pay the additional for the helicopter.

Just throwing those things out along with the other items we are discussing in the event anyone might not be aware of those services. When we are out and about we are open to a lot of things happening to us so we try to be as prepared as possible.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Jet Charters are not cheap. You can figure about $6000 per flight hour for the jet and flight crew. You have to pay for the flight time from their "home base" to your location, then to the destination and then back to their "home base", then you have to pay for the medical support people and their equipment.

As an example, if you need to fly from Dallas to Houston, it is about a 1.5 hour flight. If the plane is based in San Antonio, you'll be charged for 2 hours to Dallas, 1.5 hours to Houston and 1 hour back to San Antonio. So the 1.5 hour trip is billed at 4.5 hours and the $6K/hour suddenly becomes almost $30K just for the plane/crew, then add the medical part on top of that....

IT AIN'T CHEAP !!!!! Insurance can definitely be a hedge against the costs...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Danny, I understand now why you have stayed with the TT. But for all the caution talked about, maybe you should have gotten a goldfish rather then a puppy....
I second this!

I have to admit, the thought has crossed my mind more than once about someone else towing our fifth wheel. But until this post, it hasn’t been an “if I couldn’t do it”. It has always been “what if something happens to our truck” since no one else I know around here has a fifth wheel hitch. So, we have good sams for that, but now you all have me thinking about the other....

This post also makes me wish I had paid closer attention when our son was born to what it cost for his life flight to Seattle from Missoula. I never saw a bill for our jet ride (I was allowed to tag along on it). Maybe we just had better insurance 17 years ago than there is today? I sure can’t see any insurance now not asking for a co-pay or us paying a deductible for it!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

Ha! Ain't it the truth! I was always allergic to dogs and cats my entire life. This one found us at about 6-8 weeks old, starving. I had seen her with her 2 siblings on our property next door but they disappeared and then she showed up one evening crying on the other side of the fence while I cooked outside. I had DW go around to see and there she was. Enticed her to the front and gave her some food off the grill. It was pathetic. Her bones were about to poke through her skin and someone had taken a cigarette lighter and burned holes through her fur (she has short fur) into her skin in several places along with cutting one of toes off. I couldn't believe it. She was terrified of us but hungry. I fed her and left her on the front porch and told DW if she was still there in the AM I would take her to the pound. She was and I didn't. She was TOO good.

Now, 8 years later, she and I are inseparable. I had never really had a house dog; lots of yard dogs that were.....dogs. This one was so good that on the 2nd day we decided if we kept her it would be inside and I would have to see what modern medicine could do for my allergies. She was so loving; in she came. And the miracle? I was never allergic to her, not ONE day!! In fact, I've not had an allergic reaction to another cat or dog since we took her in.

As far as the accident with the eye; she wakes us up every morning. Monday it was 5:53am. I was trying to roll over and see the clock as she was coming up to poke me and tell me to get up. Instead her paw went straight into my wide open eye. It's all good. Doc said it was a scratch on the eyeball and would be well given several days and antibiotic drops. And for the goldfish.....that would probably be a great idea, except, I killed every fish I tried to keep so not sure if that would work. A long story but just had to point out that I don't regret her finding us the tiniest bit - it has been OUR blessing.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Know this is off topic a bit but someone mentioned Lubbock; saw they just got 10" of snow... geesh, the global warming thing is getting hard to swallow.

Back on topic, like to see a pic or two of the rails for the steps on a 5ver. Worst part of geezer living in a 5ver may not be those step but if you put a FULL queen mattress (14") in a bedroom with the lower roof, the mattress hangs out at the end to where you can't put your foot on the pedestal part but have to slide down to the hallway level. This can get interesting when groggy and on a bathroom run in the middle of the night. I have thought there may be some way to put up something to grab for support. You can't get AROUND the mattress as it is too close to the wall & sink on the ends; you have to slide off.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
I second this!

I have to admit, the thought has crossed my mind more than once about someone else towing our fifth wheel. But until this post, it hasn’t been an “if I couldn’t do it”. It has always been “what if something happens to our truck” since no one else I know around here has a fifth wheel hitch. So, we have good sams for that, but now you all have me thinking about the other....

This post also makes me wish I had paid closer attention when our son was born to what it cost for his life flight to Seattle from Missoula. I never saw a bill for our jet ride (I was allowed to tag along on it). Maybe we just had better insurance 17 years ago than there is today? I sure can’t see any insurance now not asking for a co-pay or us paying a deductible for it!
I know folks think I just kind of ramble on about things but I want everyone, particularly new RVers, to be aware of not only pitfalls out there for all of us but some of the avenues we have to take care of ourselves. I hope you find good ways to do that. We are in the same boat; what if I can't do it.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
limit4

How odd the timing of this thread. As a 5th wheel owner who has reached the 75 yr old mark the DW and I have started to think about giving up the 5th wheel and staying in cabins at state parks etc. Tough decision because we dislike motels so much but still love to travel. I know this was a little off subject but thanks for letting me put it out there.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Few of us are really "alone" when problems arise. We tend to think along the lines of "what if I can't drive back home, the DW will be stuck"....

Well, truthfully, that's not the situation for most of us. She may not be able to tow the trailer home, she may not be able to drive the truck home, but she can leave it where it is, catch a plane home and figure out what to do when things settle down. Most of us "older farts" have kids, many of the kids have expressed the desire to have the trailer when we no longer use it. So, for some, the DW can just "fly home, toss the keys to the kids and say, if you want it, go get it"....

For some, the desire to travel is strong enough that "if the time comes" the DW can just sign the title, pin it to the seat and fly home"....

What I'm saying is that life doesn't always have to stop just because we're getting older and don't have a guarantee that things won't happen..... If we "KNOW" it's going to happen, we'll stay home. If it's a remote possibility (which it is for all of us) that ain't gonna stop this couple from heading out for one more week, month, trip, season..... YMMV, but as long as we can safely travel without posing a risk to ourselves or others, we won't stop being adventurous because something "might" happen......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by limit4 View Post
How odd the timing of this thread. As a 5th wheel owner who has reached the 75 yr old mark the DW and I have started to think about giving up the 5th wheel and staying in cabins at state parks etc. Tough decision because we dislike motels so much but still love to travel. I know this was a little off subject but thanks for letting me put it out there.

Robert, this is my thinking; don't let the age be a factor, let the mind, the "wanna go" factor and health be the deciding factors. We stay in motels/condos all the time. The RV gives us a far better experience (I don't like people (lots of them). Keep going and having fun as long as you and DW can enjoy it and be safe without posing a health risk to either of you. Good luck to you and happy travels.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:48 AM   #14
mazboy

Just too deep for me to think about. Best that one stay home and be safe.

How old are you people anyway? I'm 70 years old and the steps are fine. Put a light on the stairs for night time!

Get what you want and watch out for the dog.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #15
jsmith948

Well, just another thought...life after 70 can be a challenge sometimes with the nuisance physical afflictions such as lumbar fusion, hip replacement and arthritis that is more than likely the result of loading/unloading floor loads (not palatalized) of refrigerated produce and frozen foods when I was driving trucks.

That being said, the DW and I will "keep on keepin' on" as long as we enjoy camping and can travel without being a danger to ourselves or others. We have learned to slow down and take it a bit easier - but we are no where near ready to quit doing what we love so much. To paraphrase a song lyric: "I may not be as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was!"

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:22 AM   #16
notanlines

As a whole, RV'ers are more adventurous than the "average bear." Towing 15K around the country on the back of a 1500, triple towing 5ver and motorcycle, leaving the original China-bombs on for 5 seasons, settling in for the night at the Wally World motel, wandering around the roof of your RV with a scrub brush, soap and a pressure washer, substituting a 40 amp fuse because the 20 amp keeping blowing to get you by for the week-end, feeding the skunk in the campground by hand so your kids will have a story to tell Monday morning. We can probably see ourselves in one of these slots or something similar.
We can use the term adventurous, or substitute with irresponsible or stupid. There are many terms that would describe my actions over the years. But mainly I like to think that DW and I are adventurous. Age is creeping up as mentioned before, but we have another new TV on order, no sign of letting up on the travels, and are enjoying every single day in Florida with our just as adventurous old-fart friends.
John said in an earlier post "as long as we can safely travel without posing a risk to ourselves or others, we won't stop being adventurous because something "might" happen." Truer words were never spoken.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:47 AM   #17
Frank G

Now that we winter at the same spot in Florida we found a second hand set of entrance steps. What a difference it made, much safer than the fold up steps. We were just about ready to buy the LCI solid steps when we found these. With a return commitment the resort lets us leave the steps on site during the off season. As far as climbing steps the wife says "use it or lose it"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_094722.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	19616  
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #18
Foote-n-pups

We're full-timers. Funny thing for us is DH is the one who follows behind in the car. I drive the 40' 5th wheel with the 1 ton dually. I hook it up and drive it. I've been doing in since I was a kid hauling trailers and livestock (lived in the country).

He says he could hook it up and drive it if he absolutely had to, but I'm not convinced, lol. We did talk about when the time came that when one of us passed, we each said we'd probably change to a Class C or until the time came that we get off the road and settle down again into a retirement community.

For now we still love the footloose and fancy-free lifestyle we've become accustomed to. We both retired relatively early (early 50's) and have great lifetime pension plans we draw from.
Foote-n-pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #19
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ha! Ain't it the truth! I was always allergic to dogs and cats my entire life. This one found us at about 6-8 weeks old, starving. I had seen her with her 2 siblings on our property next door but they disappeared and then she showed up one evening crying on the other side of the fence while I cooked outside. I had DW go around to see and there she was. Enticed her to the front and gave her some food off the grill. It was pathetic. Her bones were about to poke through her skin and someone had taken a cigarette lighter and burned holes through her fur (she has short fur) into her skin in several places along with cutting one of toes off. I couldn't believe it. She was terrified of us but hungry. I fed her and left her on the front porch and told DW if she was still there in the AM I would take her to the pound. She was and I didn't. She was TOO good.

Now, 8 years later, she and I are inseparable. I had never really had a house dog; lots of yard dogs that were.....dogs. This one was so good that on the 2nd day we decided if we kept her it would be inside and I would have to see what modern medicine could do for my allergies. She was so loving; in she came. And the miracle? I was never allergic to her, not ONE day!! In fact, I've not had an allergic reaction to another cat or dog since we took her in.

As far as the accident with the eye; she wakes us up every morning. Monday it was 5:53am. I was trying to roll over and see the clock as she was coming up to poke me and tell me to get up. Instead her paw went straight into my wide open eye. It's all good. Doc said it was a scratch on the eyeball and would be well given several days and antibiotic drops. And for the goldfish.....that would probably be a great idea, except, I killed every fish I tried to keep so not sure if that would work. A long story but just had to point out that I don't regret her finding us the tiniest bit - it has been OUR blessing.
Great story Danny. It's incredible how attached you can get to them isn't it. I have a 3 year old shorty Jack Russell that I prefer to be around more than most of the people I know...Lol
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #20
pitman44

My wife and I are both finding the steps getting too be more difficult, but we both like 5ers better than TTs. When we bought the last one I put a solid aluminum residential handrail. And that puppy is sturdy. Add a bigger handrail outside and we're set.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel