Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
sandy43

Level driving with RV

A level RV (5th W) is ideal for pulling down the highway. But, what if it's a couple inch's higher or lower in the front, would that create any problems on tires or axles? Mine is just a tad lower in front, not much but slightly noticeable from a distance. Should I correct this problem, which would be easy to do with air bags. Thanks

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
cayovelez

I did with my Anderson Hitch 5th. wheel and it made a reasonable difference. Specially in concrete highways where you get a lot of thumps. Just my 2 cents :-)
cayovelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You don't say what type of fifth wheel hitch you're using and whether the hitch can be raised or the pinbox lowered to level the trailer. That would be your "easy way out". As for being "a couple inches high or low" the equalizer between the axles will accommodate that difference and negate any problem for the tires/axles.

If the truck is level when the trailer is hitched, there's no "need" for air bags, it would be a personal preference, not a necessity.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
sandy43

The hitch is a Ford Reese 25K. The bolt holes are about 2" spacing. The more I think about it, I ought to leave well-enough alone. It's only noticeable to me. Thanks for the reply.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
mtofell

I don't see a little nose-high or nose-low as being a problem. Especially, as minor as you make it sound. I regularly get a good laugh at some of the setups I see while driving around. If those aren't having problems I have think those of use that are just a bit high or low are just fine.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I don't see a little nose-high or nose-low as being a problem. Especially, as minor as you make it sound. I regularly get a good laugh at some of the setups I see while driving around. If those aren't having problems I have think those of use that are just a bit high or low are just fine.
Problem is.. most of those folks don't or won't know that they have a problem until they're stuck on the side of the road.

Level will tow more smoothly and usually result in fuel savings overall.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
avalanchehd

Any thoughts about axle loading. You should put it on the scales with the axles on seperate plates, to check axle weight
Old 12-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
MtnGoat

I understand that the equalizer should keep a balance of pressure across both axles.

What I have experienced is a pressure difference between the front and rear tires using my Tire Minder. There appears to be a 5psi difference between axles with the rear axle tires being the higher. To backup my claim I have swapped out the sensors and checked tire pressures before the sun comes up. And have a good Autometer analog tire gauge. I have not checked axle weight as yet.

Not that I'm concerned about 5psi, I wonder if this differential can be impacting fuel economy.
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
I understand that the equalizer should keep a balance of pressure across both axles.

What I have experienced is a pressure difference between the front and rear tires using my Tire Minder. There appears to be a 5psi difference between axles with the rear axle tires being the higher. To backup my claim I have swapped out the sensors and checked tire pressures before the sun comes up. And have a good Autometer analog tire gauge. I have not checked axle weight as yet.

Not that I'm concerned about 5psi, I wonder if this differential can be impacting fuel economy.

I think I'm confused (which happens from time to time these days). What do you use for a reference pressure to know the tires on one axle are 5psi higher than the other? Do you air all tires to the same psi at the same time or???? I air all my tires to 80 psi....and, they are 80 psi. I'm not understanding how you inflate them all to the designated pressure then one axle is 5psi higher than the other???
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
MtnGoat

Well Sir, I'm running 45psi on both trailer axles. (all four tires) Yet while running the Tire Minder tells me the rear axle tires go up 5psi over the front tires. Its 6K trailer so 45-50 psi on those Carlisle's is about max as listed on the sidewalls.

I make a habit to walk around the trailer at each stop and touch the tires to check for a hot tire. Cant say I've noticed any real difference doing this.

Just questioning that I'm not causing any undue wear.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

mtn goat

The GVW on your trailer is a "hair over 8000 lbs". The tires, 205 75R15 LRC are rated at 1820 lbs at 50PSI. Running them at 45PSI reduces the load and increases the heat generated in the sidewalls. You might find that if you increase the pressure to 50PSI, you'll get less "pressure rise" as the tires warm up, in other words, less sidewall flex on the rear axle making less heat thereby less pressure difference between the front and rear axle weights.

I had a 2011 242FWSS, it's a good trailer, but the tires are "barely adequate" for the trailer weight. I upgraded to 225 75R15 LRE (which is admittedly overkill) and I never had any issues with heat or pressure rise when running at 80 PSI. This isn't criticism, just an observation from my past experience with the same trailer.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Well Sir, I'm running 45psi on both trailer axles. (all four tires) Yet while running the Tire Minder tells me the rear axle tires go up 5psi over the front tires. Its 6K trailer so 45-50 psi on those Carlisle's is about max as listed on the sidewalls.

I make a habit to walk around the trailer at each stop and touch the tires to check for a hot tire. Cant say I've noticed any real difference doing this.

Just questioning that I'm not causing any undue wear.

Sorry for the stupid question. Brain wasn't comprehending what the eyes were reading.

I read John's post and I think he is on the money. First off with that weight trailer with that load range tire I would be running it at max pressure. I suspect that is part of what's causing your problem. The other, IMO, would be the load range of the tire vs the weight of the trailer. I believe the tires should be able to carry the weight of the trailer, not the weight minus the tongue/pin. In your case the tires are rated for 7280lbs max vs a trailer weight of 8k+. To me, you were placed in a precarious situation with those OE tires on that trailer just as I was. I had a blowout (running max psi for the OE tires) at the beginning of the 2nd season ( 1 1/2 years) causing 7k in damages.

MtnGoat, this is just me speaking from an abundance of caution, but if there was a way to upgrade those tires to a 225 size LRD/E you would be doing yourself a big favor. You would need to check the wheel width required and the psi/weight rating on the back of the wheel before proceeding.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
MtnGoat

Well Guys, I agree. Over Kill is under rated.
I'll be looking at a different set of wheels and tires in the very near future. Until then I'll keep the pressure at 50. I'm a big proponent of tire safety. Something about getting tires through tech inspection at the race track.....

Never considered that Keystone would go cheap on tires. I mean WTH is with that?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Well Guys, I agree. Over Kill is under rated.
I'll be looking at a different set of wheels and tires in the very near future. Until then I'll keep the pressure at 50. I'm a big proponent of tire safety. Something about getting tires through tech inspection at the race track.....

Never considered that Keystone would go cheap on tires. I mean WTH is with that?
Trust me when I say that up until last year, all the "RV manufacturers" were "going cheap on tires" on all of the low/medium priced trailers/fifth wheels. There were "China May Pops" on even some of the "top of the line" trailers. Some changes have been made in regulations and in RVIA certification requirements for tires. Jayco is now installing Goodyear Endurance ST tires on all of their towables, Keystone has started using G rated tires on heavier fifth wheels and many of the trailers that were equipped with "bare minimum" tires are now being shipped with a significantly better load capacity. So, things are improving, but that doesn't do anything for those of us with existing trailers and "substandard tires"....

Good Luck with your tire/wheel choices. If things get confusing or if you want to know what others have done "in your shoes" just start a thread and ask away....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-13-2018, 05:06 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Is the sunny side the one that is higher psi? If so, due to heat, that would be expected.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #16
MtnGoat

Once we get rolling the sun seems not a factor. Its the difference between front and rear axles. For now I'll keep an eye on those may pops.

Thanks guys
Old 12-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

I notice about a 10F difference between the sunny side tires and the shady side tires when pulling at about 65MPH for roughly 100 miles or so. I always, ALWAYS check my tires with a laser thermometer at every stop. Occasionally, I'll notice a 2F-3F difference between the front tire/rear tire temps on the same side, but I attribute that more to differences in brake shoe adjustment, braking in curves (exiting the interstate at a rest stop, etc) or maybe even wheel bearing tightness????

Essentially, I look for any significant difference (15-20 degrees) between tires on the same side. That would indicate that something is different between the two, but if there's only a couple of degrees, I shut the truck off, go in, do my thing and get back on the road.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
Nitehawk

Nose tipped down to much could cause bad sway tip to high could cause drag and bottom out . Best to get it as level as possible.
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote