Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
ri_truck_guy

Anybody Ever Remove A Slide?

I have a 2014 Fuzion 371 that I've owned since new. Well, I was having a decent time in the RV a few days ago that suddenly went downhill when I was walking in front of the kitchen slide and thought to myself "that doesn't feel right". The "that" was the floor, which was very spongy in front the stove. A little more investigation revealed that the main floor has damage from about the outside edge of the floor to about 8 inches inside the RV. The length of the damage runs about 5 feet long from from about the mid-point of the slide forward to a point under a wall cabinet and under the furnace just forward of the cabinet. I should mention this is a cable driven slide

Of course, I still need to find the source of the leak, which may prove challenging as the damage I could lay eyes on is all dry. And to repair the actual floor damage seems pretty straightforward. Basically just peel the linoleum back and replace the section of sublfloor. It should all be simple except for a substantial amount of the damage being under the overlap of the kitchen slide.

So, it comes down to two questions. One, is there a way I'm missing of doing this repair under the slide? Or, if I'm not missing anything, has anyone pulled a slide out and have any details on how to go about it? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited 103 CI
Everyone has issues...some people's are just more interesting."
ri_truck_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Repair of a slide floor is an intense repair, not for the faint at heart. First concern is the weight. How big is the slide and what’s on the slide.

Removing the slide involves removing all the facia from inside, hyperextending it, and then laying it down on the exterior surface to repair/replace the damaged floor. We have done it and it wasn’t “fun”. You will probably find electrical wires that run under the slide and then up into the slide at the exterior end of the floor. Think it through a few times, come up with a detailed plan of attack before you decide you really want to undertake that task.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
ri_truck_guy

Thanks Chuck. Luckily, the actual floor on the slide is all ok. It's the main floor under the slide that I need to fix. I'm assuming by "hyperextending" the slide you mean it can retract beyond the interior edge of the wall once the interior trim is removed. If that's correct, how far can it go before it actually separates from the RV wall?
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited 103 CI
Everyone has issues...some people's are just more interesting."
ri_truck_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Hyper extending puts it OUTSIDE the sidewall. Depends on what type of slide it is. As long as it isn’t cable driven, you can use scissors jacks on the square ram tubes to support the floor. We use large pieces of wood to distribute the load on the jacks. If your thinking of doing it, feel free to PM me for more details.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I've not done it but I've had it done. Mine is cable driven and just as Chuckster said; it ain't for the faint of heart as the SM told me. He said they had to jack them up with large support boards under them and it took several "hefty" boys to pull them out, support and balance them. We did not get into it but I'm sure they had to loosen/disconnect the cables then put them back. If it is cable driven, and it doesn't have rollers, it will have a wear bar on the floor. You will probably have to replace that when you tear the floor out. Chuckster can give you more detail I'm sure. All that to say - IMO you're looking at quite a chore fraught with some potential pitfalls.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Frank G

A couple of thoughts, is this an insurance claim? If it is stop reading!

If I were removing a slide I would build a support platform with some old roller conveyor sections on it. Run the slide out, properly shim the platform, disconnect the cables, remove the facia and finish pushing the slide out about 6". Do your work, push it back in. If you go to a real plywood supplier you can find some products that will resist water damage.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide