Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
Freeheel4life

14k worth of "performance" mods

I haven't been checking in, so maybe yall talked about this...but if not heres some fat to chew.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/20/...r-duty-pickup/

Almost 14k for lift, tires, fenders, floor mats, grill, and badging. Only ACTUAL performance mod is the exhaust. Just thought it was a little insane from a company that's made their name on PERFORMANCE to do something that is basically all looks. I am guessing due to warranty concerns on new trucks. Just thought 14k seemed absurd. Doubt theres a box on NADA to check when its time to sell that will add value to the truck.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, here goes a couple of "yeah, buts"....

Yeah, but it's got "custom color wheel well extensions."
Yeah but, it's got "custom embroidered Roush headrest covers."
Yeah but, it's got "capped chrome lugnuts."
Yeah but, it's got a special grill with integrated lighting and a Roush emblem."

Looks to me it's aimed at the "Raptor owner market" that wants a "bigger than the Raptor" specialty truck. The headline of the article, "A raised suspension, beefier tires and fender flares for off-roading" essentially takes it out of the towing market and puts it in the not for practical "onroad" purposes....

It's definitely not something I'd want, but as the used car salesman's motto says, "There's a butt for every seat"..... YMMV

ADDED: The first comment below the article pretty much sums it up:

"These will sell. None of them will go 'off road', unless you count parking with two wheels over the curb at a Waffle House.

No one takes a vehicle the size/weight of a bus to climb rocks near Moab. Guys brodozer their HD pickups solely to bolster their D-bag 'image'."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
notanlines

Matt from autoblog.com said : "These will sell. None of them will go 'off road', unless you count parking with two wheels over the curb at a Waffle House" I couldn't have said it better myself.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
Freeheel4life

The part that kills me is that you could take your truck to a reliable 4wheel upfitter and do the lift and tires for substantially less. Buy a complete weather tech set of floor mats, and buy your own grill and fender flares aftermarket. After all that you would still have $ for some "sweet" headlights, lightbars, and the giant Monster sticker for the rear window. Just felt like the uprgrade is basically 14k for Roush badges. 14k you will never recoup. OUCH
Old 05-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
MerlinB

And what does this have to do with Keystone RVs? I couldn't care less what Roush does with Ford trucks unless they are building RV haulers and this isn't one. What a bunch of crap on an RV forum. YMMV!
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel4life View Post
The part that kills me is that you could take your truck to a reliable 4wheel upfitter and do the lift and tires for substantially less. Buy a complete weather tech set of floor mats, and buy your own grill and fender flares aftermarket. After all that you would still have $ for some "sweet" headlights, lightbars, and the giant Monster sticker for the rear window. Just felt like the uprgrade is basically 14k for Roush badges. 14k you will never recoup. OUCH
But you wouldn't get the custom embroidered Roush headrest covers.... Gotta spend money to get the important stuff !!!!!

Personally, buying a $75,000 truck, I wouldn't be inclined to add $14,000 in "bling".... just me, but my truck has never been "off roading" unless you consider parking on the edge of a gravel road to go mushroom hunting......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
Freeheel4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
And what does this have to do with Keystone RVs? I couldn't care less what Roush does with Ford trucks unless they are building RV haulers and this isn't one. What a bunch of crap on an RV forum. YMMV!
Guess I should have put it in Odds and Ends or Campfire Chatter. See plenty of lifted TVs dragging their rigs around. Thought it was just something related to HD Tow Vehicles.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
travelin texans

Watch those knuckleheads on U tube with their Raptors! They weren't really made for off road & doubt this thing would hold up either.
Another "Yea, but", another overpriced Ford.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
notanlines

Merlin, take a pill, man. Life is good. Just move on to the “My water heater leaks” thread. He was just making a little conversation.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Merlin, take a pill, man. Life is good. Just move on to the “My water heater leaks” thread. He was just making a little conversation.
I knew I would get hammered for that post. I come here for Keystone RV information. Like I said, I couldn't care less about what Jack Roush Is doing to separate Ford truck owners from their money. IMHO all of that stuff is a bunch of crap. Hammer away. Y'all have a nice day.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 05-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

TOLERANCE GENTLEMEN !!!! (that includes members who aren't interested in the topic)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Merlin, the comments/observations/thoughts of the members "outside" of the "pure" RV spectrum is what makes this forum not only interesting, but great. I have lots of interests, lots of them fold into what may or may not, intertwine with my RVing. This post was about what folks do to "trucks'; we like trucks.

I have no desire to see the forum "degenerate" into some lifeless, dead forum that can only discuss Keystone issues. RVing, and RV ownership encompasses SO much more than talking about a specific brand of RV.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:55 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
I knew I would get hammered for that post. I come here for Keystone RV information. Like I said, I couldn't care less about what Jack Roush Is doing to separate Ford truck owners from their money. IMHO all of that stuff is a bunch of crap. Hammer away. Y'all have a nice day.
If you knew you were going to get hammered, then why post it, unless ..... you wanted to get hammered? Sick, man.

Feel free to move on and not read the posts that dont interest you. The only ones who have to read ALL the posts are the mods. Everyone else is exempt from that.

Please note, the only deputized position on the forum is the Weight Police category. We are not giving out or starting a Post Police badge.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #14
Barbell

Its all good, Merlin. I agree with you; no need for jacked up overpriced junk but some people, probably a lot younger than we are, like that sort of thing. To each his own.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
MerlinB

Alright, everyone, I APOLOGIZE!!! I have never liked juked up trucks, lifted, big oversized wheels and tires, fender flares, light bars, etc. And when I saw the dollar amount in the OP I just freaked out. I let my anger get control of me and wrote some things I should not have written. No excuse. I own it, I'm responsible, I was wrong. I offer my express apology to the OP.

No response is necessary.

Thanks for understanding.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 05-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #16
Freeheel4life

Hey Merlin, apology accepted. I didn't need one though. Pretty thick skinned. I agree that those add one are mostly worthless and simply for looks in most cases. It was the price that had me appalled as well. Glad we can agree that some will always have more money than brains.
Trucks sure have gotten ridiculous. I wonder how much more an F150 is going to cost a guy with production being shut down for the fire?? I'm no economist but supply and demand seems to dictate that ridiculously priced f150s are about to cost even more.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #17
Gegrad

I enjoy the alternate topic threads, just for variety. I see the titles in the leads o the right and decide what to open. If it's not a topic I don't care to read I don't open it. For example, I don't generally open threads titled "My Raptor..." or "Fusion XXX", as I have never owned a TH and know very little about them, so I know I wouldn't be able to offer anything useful about them. Easy Peasy.

But back on topic, the one thing is these thing Might, and I say Might, end up as collectors one day due to their limited production. They will almost certainly hold their value longer than a standard run of the mill F-250.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #18
MerlinB

Quote:
Trucks sure have gotten ridiculous. I wonder how much more an F150 is going to cost a guy with production being shut down for the fire?? I'm no economist but supply and demand seems to dictate that ridiculously priced f150s are about to cost even more.
I am afraid you are absolutely correct.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 05-12-2018, 03:19 AM   #19
busterbrown

Quote:
I'm no economist but supply and demand seems to dictate that ridiculously priced f150s are about to cost even more.
Not really... Production will halt for a just a few weeks as the supply chain re-sets itself. Yes, the ripple effect across the suppliers will be felt. But I read that Ford's F-series are averaging 3 months (84 days) now on dealers lots.

Floor plan formulas will change to address these lot times. Incentives to move vehicles are the highest now since 2009. And as gas prices continue to climb thought the summer, I'll bet you'll see even more incentives come fall.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...-year-14585211

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/25/cars...he-offers.html
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:06 AM   #20
Dave W

I kinda like the truck just like the Raptors. But since I use my truck as a work vehicle, will never get a chance to have one. But they will sell out with 5-7 year loans
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod, mods