Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
Split Rail Farms

Mini breaker above batteries tripping

2018 Raptor 425ts. Went to set up camper and heard a clicking noise. Found that one of the mini breakers above the batteries was tripping. There are 4 wires, red, yellow, purple and black. Pulled all 4 wires and breaker would reset. All wires checked good except for the black wire. Contacted keystone and they said they did not provide wiring schematics. Spoke to a tech at camping world of Texas and he was able to work with keystone to identify that the purple was the slides, yellow was the awing, red was a pass thru positive but was unsure what the black was for. With the black testing 0.1 ohms to ground it's evident that is the problem but I can't figure out is why they have a ground wire on a breaker? Has anyone ever encountered this before? Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows the mini breakers?
Split Rail Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

No, there are no schematics or wiring diagrams available on any Keystone product for public use. Most dealerships are under the same "frustrations" as you, because Keystone doesn't provide wiring diagrams to them either.

I've no idea what that black wire might be, but it's not ground. Possibly it's something that shorted out or the insulation on the wire has rubbed and is shorting out to ground.

Can you leave that black wire disconnected and see if the other components operate properly? If so, then through your use, eventually you'll come across something that doesn't operate and you'll know what that black wire powers. Then you can troubleshoot it from there.

If, however, you want it repaired, it looks like your RV is a 2018 model, if it's still in warranty, you can always choose to take it back and let your dealership fix it under warranty.

Let us know what you find.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Being a new unit did CW do a PDI ?? Was there any issues then??

John described a good plan to try an isolate possible the device causing the problem.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
TheGriz

A ground wire, at least on a home breaker, suggests a GFCI circuit.

Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Mike ; they are referring to the 12 VDC breakers which are generally located near the battery compartment.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
Split Rail Farms

Problem identified

The black wire in questioned lead to the trailer hitch plug and was hitting a sheet metal screw that was grounding it out. Thanks for the reply' s, with no schematic you have to go old school and just trace stuff out.
Split Rail Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split Rail Farms View Post
The black wire in questioned lead to the trailer hitch plug and was hitting a sheet metal screw that was grounding it out. Thanks for the reply' s, with no schematic you have to go old school and just trace stuff out.
Everyday thing for us techs glad you got it!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:01 AM   #8
Tinner12002

Well I haven't traced the wiring as I haven't needed to but on mine, one circuit goes to my level-up, was told another goes to gen and one to main control box. I don't think the control box is correct or I'd be able to turn on the control panel inside the RV, which I can't without battery disconnect being off. The only one I confirmed is the level-up because I installed a disconnect in the battery compartment to totally disconnect the batteries and when I flip the disconnect the level-up powers on and off. I was told the wire that goes to gen for some reason powers fuel pump but again I haven't confirmed that. Not even sure the service techs know to be honest with you! I have mine in the shop now having a couple things done and slide toppers put on so when I go pick it up Monday I may quiz them on that.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote