Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
AndyNSarah

Badlands National Park

We are planning a trip out to the Badlands/Black Hills next summer. Really wanted to stay in the National Park but it looks like you are not allowed to have campfires there, which is a real bummer (but I totally understand). For those that have been there, is the campground inside the park worth staying at?

If not, are there any other campgrounds in the area that are good for kis? We have 3, ages 10, 8 and 6.
AndyNSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
notanlines

Andy, you are within driving distance of Rapid City. With kids to entertain I might be inclined to get an RV park in Rapid City and drive out to the park. We have been to the park many times, but I'm afraid the kids would be bored to tears. This is an interesting park to adults, but kids will be looking for more than the park can deliver. Of course YMMV.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
bobbecky

We recently spent a few days at the KOA in Rapid City, and it has room and things for the kids to play on. I would recommend this park for families with kids. Also, a must visit, is the Mammoth Dig Site in Hot Springs, well worth a visit.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:08 AM   #4
Tinner12002

Just for your info, the last 2 weeks of July and the first 3 weeks of Aug are pretty busy out there with the Sturgis SD bike rally. The rally is the first week of Aug, 3rd-12th but many bikers like to go up to a couple weeks early or a couple weeks after just to not be around so many other bikes.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:17 AM   #5
Dave W

I fully agree with the others -great place to visit and spend a few days. We were there the end of August and few folks there.

Then there are a few signs like this posted around:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0275.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	14477  
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Andy, you are within driving distance of Rapid City. With kids to entertain I might be inclined to get an RV park in Rapid City and drive out to the park. We have been to the park many times, but I'm afraid the kids would be bored to tears. This is an interesting park to adults, but kids will be looking for more than the park can deliver. Of course YMMV.
x2 It's not a park for kids. A drive out there from Rapid City for the day would probably do it. I'm not sure you will find any parks in that area--public or private that will allow fires. It's a tender box just waiting for a fire.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
instymp

We just made that trip from Asheville, NC last month, but left our 5th wheel at the lake in TN & camped in Hampton Inns. We based in Rapid City & took day trips to all the sites, including Bad Lands. There were many great RV camping grounds all around. We would like all of them better than staying in Bad Lands. Bad Lands is a WONDERFUL & a MUST to visit & see!! SD is a fantastic state & people are the greatest.
Bad Lands, Deadwood, Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park (we were there for the annual Bison roundup, unreal!), Sturgis (Not when Bike week!), Crazy Horse, and don't forget Wall Drugs! Rapid City was a great base, close to everything. Have a ball!
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote