Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #1
fixn2gocamp

Yellow Flame tips

Hi there! Anyone else there had this issue or know anything about it? Nothing in the manual addresses it. On the "high output" burner, the front one, I have serious yellow tips....flame is not really hot at the tips. On the back two burners, flame is blue and works great. I've checked propane, good to go there. I've cleaned all the little holes with a toothpick, nothing there. checked connections, all fine. Flame is steady and consistent around the burner. Doesn't matter how high/low flame is....Baffled

Thanks for any help!
2020 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4
Reese M-5 20000 Lb 5th wheel hitch
Also in inventory: 2020 Big Horn 3925 MLP 5th wheel
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
notanlines

Fixn, this is quoted from "Home guides."
Gas burners burn blue if the ratio of fuel to air is correct. A yellow burner flame is a symptom that the burner is not getting enough air for complete combustion of the gas. Correcting this problem involves adjusting the burner’s air shutter to admit more air, something that an experienced do-it-yourselfer can do.
Allow the stove to cool, remove the top grates and lift up the stovetop to expose the burner piping. On some stoves, the air shutter is just behind the burner gas valve. It is a sliding plate or tube that covers the burner air vent. Loosen the set screw that keeps the shutter from moving. Turn the burner on fully and slowly open the shutter until the flame turns blue. Retighten the set screw, turn off the burner, lower the stovetop and replace the top grates.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
Pull Toy

+1

Good Luck.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #4
fixn2gocamp

Thanks, Notan and Pullt... went hunting per your suggestion....found openings in the pipe, but no screws or slides to adjust...now funny thing. Cooking last night, used the back burner, by the end of the 15 min cooking, there were yellow tips on the back burner....never did that before, but this morning, no yellow on the back burner....just the front. Still odd. Thought I'd add a couple pictures and take the free education on what you see? BTW...those odd little spots of corrosion like? Been there since we got it, saw it on several units we looked at...??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0914.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	14390   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0915.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	14391   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0916.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	14392  
Old 10-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
kfxgreenie

This is just a WAG, but on a residential range we ran in circles trying to figure out orange tips on a range. It turned out to be an ultrasonic humidifier emitting particles in the air that the range was then burning off causing the orange tips.

kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
fixn2gocamp

Thanks kfx....we have plenty of humidity here in east TX right now without running a humidifier. LOL In fact we need a DE-humidifier. But I did check, yellow tips are something in the mixture, not humidity. Just can't find the "adjustment".
Old 10-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
ken56

Is there a customer service number in the manual to possibly call?
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
gkainz

since spiders love the smell of propane, could be some spider web blockage in the orifice or the air tube?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixn2gocamp View Post
Thanks kfx....we have plenty of humidity here in east TX right now without running a humidifier. LOL In fact we need a DE-humidifier. But I did check, yellow tips are something in the mixture, not humidity. Just can't find the "adjustment".

Looking at the pic I don't see an adjustment. The square holes at the front of the burner tube is where the air mixes I believe. On most stoves etc. I have adjusted there is usually a little screw and plate that can be moved to adjust the size of that air hole - I don't see anything there in the pic. I also could not see any screws for adjustment on the burner or tube. Just for grins you could take some thick foil paper, tightly form it around the burner tube and then slide it over the opening slightly to see if that improved the flame......

Another thought, and I've never delved into it, would be the fuel itself. Can the mixtures for LP have "variants" that could cause it to burn less efficiently for some reason??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #10
fixn2gocamp

Thanks Ken, yes there is an 800 number, and I'll may try it at some point. Never dealt with Atwood, most just want to refer you to a dealer whenever dealer with things that might go boom and I'm not ready to give up my fall on the lake. Like I said, stove works great. Don't think its the fuel GK, because its only on the one burner...the "highoutput" burner in front. Tomorrow, going to give Sourdough's idea a try. The stove does work, like I said, just major yellow tips. In fact, if you turn it down, the tips go away, Yes, just noticed that today. So that really leads me to think air mixture. I just don't seem to have those slider pieces where you can adjust it. Thanks for all the ideas. Will let you know what S-Dough's idea does....
Old 10-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
Johnny's Journey

There is something odd going on. My cook top (exact same) one morning had yellow tips for no rhyme or reason once on the middle burner as well. By that afternoon and since then it's been blue tips as it should be. But there is one thing I see on your photo that I may have missed when looking at mine. Your middle nozzle is not parallel to the burner tube. Could air density (which always changes) be an issue because the gas isn't flowing straight down the center of the burner tube here it takes in oxygen?
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Another consideration is the quality of the propane in your tank. While propane isn't supposed to "get old and stale" where you buy it and the condition of their bulk tanks will make a difference. Mercaptin (the additive that makes propane stink) is an oil based substance that can accumulate in the tank. Most propane distributors purge their tanks and clean them on a regular basis. If they don't, the mercaptin can settle out and accumulate in the tank. That can be transferred to your smaller tank and can affect the performance (yellow tipped flame, etc).

I wouldn't put too much effort into troubleshooting the problem until you know that your propane tank isn't a contributing factor. The next time you fill your propane tanks, take them to a "real propane dealer" (not a campground or gas station outlet) and ask them to purge your tanks. That will eliminate any excess oil in the tank and may resolve your problem without "rebuilding the stove".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
"real propane dealer"
Propane is from a real RV dealer when I received my TT
Old 10-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny's Journey View Post
Propane is from a real RV dealer when I received my TT
Yup, sort of like going to a health food store to get "expert advice" about cardiology. It might be good information or you might get a suggestion to "take more fish oil and the pain should go away."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:01 AM   #15
fixn2gocamp

Well, its still happening...yesterday I did get some yellow tips...but haven't the day before. Odd. Air density? I believe the propane is fresh, from a high volume place where its 'refilled' often. It was only filled in August for the first time when we bought the trailer. It is Montana propane though, this is Texas...shouldn't make any difference. If the propane was the issue, I would think we'd get the yellow tips on ALL the burners, not just one. The one "experiment" (because of course that's more fun than calling the manufacturer for an answer) that seems to have worked is to turn the flame down a little. When the tips turn blue again, the flames seem hotter even though they are lower, as it should be. Again, the front "high" output burner is the culprit. Really leaning towards the air mix at this point. Checked the "level" of the stove and individual burners...all good. Checked tightness of fitting, burner to input. Will call Atwood today to see if they care to offer a suggestion or render an opinion and will report it back here. Stove works, so sure not taking it to dealer/repair/factory or any other place not on my travel agenda.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:28 AM   #16
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
If the propane was the issue, I would think we'd get the yellow tips on ALL the burners, not just one. The one "experiment" (because of course that's more fun than calling the manufacturer for an answer) that seems to have worked is to turn the flame down a little.
Very same thing that happened with me. I'm not certain what is doing this but I'm not worrying much about it yet. It happened once and during a weather condition the stove had not seen before. I won't tell what the condition is yet but when this happens to you what time of day and weather conditions is it?
Old 10-23-2017, 06:40 AM   #17
fixn2gocamp

Weather has varied...it started several weeks ago. Since then we've had hot/cool/cold, wet and humid. Not too much dry as we're in east Texas. Humidity runs about 40% or so...yesterday, rained all day, humidity 100% all day, wet/cool....same issue, no difference. Someone asked me in a PM the brand, its a Wedgewood Vision by Atwood. Fixing to call Atwood in Elkhart and see if I get any ideas.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:57 AM   #18
Eastham

My cougar 2016 does the same thing front burner only seems to be worse if the exhaust fan is on not sure if that is the problem. Will follow to see what comes up on here.thanks
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #19
Dave W

Looking at the photos of the assembly, the air shutters are controlled by the insertion depth of the of the burner tube - and all three are different on your stove. Loosening various screws or nuts, burner or gas supply, and adjusting that air shutter opening will modify the amount of air. Your hot water heater flame is adjusted the same way - modify the openings. These are pretty sloppy fits - even my natural gas furnace and HW heater in my home is sloppy, with the flame optimized by the openings. You adjust to a good blue flame - then maybe a tiny bit more (it shouldn't roar). And using aluminum foil tape as mentioned above - that too is a good choice for 'adjustment' if nothing will move without a big hammer.

PS: Just because I could, I checked and there is no air adjustment on ours either but it looks like things can be moved with loosening fasteners and maybe a bit of a 'calibrated' heavy hand
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #20
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Weather has varied...it started several weeks ago. Since then we've had hot/cool/cold, wet and humid. Not too much dry as we're in east Texas. Humidity runs about 40% or so...yesterday, rained all day, humidity 100% all day, wet/cool....same issue, no difference. Someone asked me in a PM the brand, its a Wedgewood Vision by Atwood. Fixing to call Atwood in Elkhart and see if I get any ideas.
Thanks. Mine happened on a very cool morning mid 40's temp @ 4200 ft (wish I knew the barometric pressure). No dampness or dew, just dry crisp morning. At first I thought it was because we were all tight and that the air or O2 was thinning so I opened the door. Nothing changed. Switched bottles, nothing. By that afternoon for lunch, gone. Blue flame as normal and has been normal since. In 2 weeks I'll be back up where I was and watch. Looking forward to what Atwood has to say about it.