Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
thatoneguy99

Keystone Hideout Questions

So... we recently bought our Hideout 5er at the beginning of this year. The model # is 308BHDS.

Three questions...
Who else has one of these?

Does anyone know of a sink cover I can buy to give me more counterspace? Pictures of what the sink looks like are attached. (not the best but all I have right now)

Does anyone know where I can get a bunk ladder? Or has anyone homemade one and can share some pictures? (one pic attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	597320a72e14f650d22ce4a0.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	13456   Click image for larger version

Name:	597320a72e14f650d22ce49f (2).jpg
Views:	257
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	13457   Click image for larger version

Name:	597320a72e14f650d22ce49f (3).jpg
Views:	287
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	13458  
thatoneguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Glad you're here!

I bought a large wood cutting board to place over mine. It serves 2 purposes, extra counter space and a nice cutting board.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Eastham

Did you buy it new? If so check with factory and see if they should of been included dealer said it didnt come with sink covers we called factory they looked it up and sent 2 new covers that should of been included.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
mtofell

I'm on my second year with the exact same model trailer. The bunk ladders are pretty universal - You can pick one up at Camping World or online. The standard metal ones can be cut to size.

Overall, I love the trailer's layout. I wish the bedroom had a bit more room but the 1/2 bath more than makes up for it.

I get zero flow of heat to the bedroom but the A/C is super strong (different ducting). It's fine for my usage since my wife can't stand the noise of the furnace so we are usually using space heaters anyway. Or, camping in the summer with no need for heat.

I'm always learning new things about my trailer. Just recently I concluded that the outdoor kitchen sink feeds into the rear black tank. Also, the front bathroom sink feeds into the front black tank. This makes it super easy to put water in the black tanks, when needed.

I recently had the bolts on the tubing that runs the passenger side landing gear fail. It turns out they are a designed weak point so as to not do damage to other parts. I over ran my gear at the lower end and the bolts snapped rather than the fuse cutting out. It had me stumped for a bit but once I know how to change them it's literally a 5 minute job. You might familiarize yourself with that and carry some spare bolts so you don't get stranded.

I haven't had too many things go wrong but I'm always somewhat worried since I know these things are cheaply made. And the Hideout line is the cheap end of cheap trailers I/we just fell in love with the floor plan. That kid's bunk room is just amazing.

I ended up taking out the worthless uncomfortable couch in favor of a Euro recliner and ottoman. Now, on rainy days I have a real place to sit rather than the couch that feels like I'm sitting on a window ledge

Be careful, the back end of this trailer us REALLY low. I ripped a jack off once but to be fair I was up on a logging road I probably shouldn't have been on. I also bent one once pulling out of a gas station that didn't seem to have too much slope. I'm probably going to get some casters at some point. Also, I relocated the jacks a bit forward and did it in such a manner that they can be removed in a couple minutes rather than being welded in place. The trick is taking them off when needed. I never really know when I'm going to encounter a low driveway. I suppose I could just take them off every time out but I'm too lazy. Also, replacements are cheap - +/- $30 at Harbor Freight in you need one.

My co-ax cable connections were all loose behind the plates and I got all kinds of static until I tightened them.

I got leakage behind the city water connection due to a hand tight fitting that my kids could have gotten tighter. You have to remove the screws in the vertical carpeted panel towards the back of the trailer from the storage area under the bedroom. A friend with another Keystone had the exact same problem so this is probably worth a look - it just takes a couple minutes.

I often get a skunky smell in the outdoor kitchen. After learning that the sink drain connects to the black tank I'm thinking that could be part of it. But, the P-trap should stop all the sewer gas so who knows?

Overall, I love the trailer. I do wish it were a bit smaller but that's not the trailer's fault. I just have a lot of kids. I labored long and hard between a TT and a 5th and am very happy with my decision. It's just a lot of trailer to store, drive around, fit into campgrounds and pay for.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

mtofell,

Great synopsis on your trailer. Thanks for sharing. Something that you may not have realized about your outdoor kitchen sink: There isn't a P trap on that sink. The trap that's used is a "waterless trap" called a HEPvO. It's not "new technology, having been around 5 or so years in RV's, but it's entirely different from the "old style P trap".... You can read about it here: http://hepvo.com/hepvo-waterless-valve/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
busterbrown

I can offer a recommendation on bunk ladders. I purchased this one from Amazon last year and it works great for bunk rooms. All you need is a hacksaw to cut down the legs to accommodate the height of the bunk. It has rubberized hook ends that won't scratch the frame work of the bed. Best part is how light it is. Just pop it on top one of the beds when your ready for travel. Inexpensive and good reviews on Amazon.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
mtofell,

Great synopsis on your trailer. Thanks for sharing. Something that you may not have realized about your outdoor kitchen sink: There isn't a P trap on that sink. The trap that's used is a "waterless trap" called a HEPvO. It's not "new technology, having been around 5 or so years in RV's, but it's entirely different from the "old style P trap".... You can read about it here: http://hepvo.com/hepvo-waterless-valve/
Interesting setup.... I've never seen that before. After checking my trailer again, I've still never seen one My sink has a standard P-trap. Mine is a 2016 so maybe the 17s or 18s have them?

I suppose being able to gain a few inches and forgo a P-trap could be beneficial in some installations. I fear the complexity could lead to a failure but only time will tell. Similarly, AAVs on the venting are a good option but do fail more often than traditional vents. Vents to outside and P-traps are pretty reliable but IMO we humans are far too optimistic that something new must be better.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:56 AM   #8
thatoneguy99

So... I got a little busy and forgot I even posted this. Thank you to everyone for your replies. Not that everyone else wasn't worthy but especially to @mtofell for the owner insight.
Someone mentioned making a cutting board to fit the sink area, so I may be looking into that. We shall see. I am also looking at the link for the ladder, its good to know they are somewhat universal.

So thanks again.
thatoneguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Your sink is the same shape, probably the same brand/model as what's in our Cougar 27RKS. Ours came with a cutting board that covers the entire sink area and is shaped around the "big bulge" at the upper left of the sink. Our Springdale had the same sink, but it came with two cutting boards, one for each side. We could use one or both, so more versatile. We seldom use the sink cover, but they are available for that sink. I'm surprised yours didn't have one on delivery. It may be a "Hideout cost cutting measure" that it isn't standard equipment ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
mtofell

Mine didn't come with any cover or cutting board. I like the idea of making a wood cover/cutting board. The other thing missing that I've had on past trailers is a cover for the stove.

These Hideouts are definitely the stripped down model but even so there are some pretty nice features - real toilets, nice shades, LED awning light, outdoor speakers, etc.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
Mandolin

I like the vacuum cleaner - just got home from a 2+ week trip to the beach where there was a LOT of sand and the vacuum came in very handy.

For the stove, I bought this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-43521...ove+rv+cutting

I've been surprised how well it stays on in transit, I thought I would have to take it off and stow it, but I haven't had a problem. I don't actually use it as a cutting board, a least not without something similar to the thin flexible plastic mat that came with it placed over the wood.

Our Hideout is a different layout and in a straight line we have the pantry cabinet, the stove/oven, 24" of counter space, the double sink and then about 30" of counter space, so a cover for the sink has been less on an issue, especially since we have the stove cover.

Really the only thing I have been disappointed with is the oven - it should really just have a low, medium and high setting, because trying to get 325° vs 350° vs 375° is just not possible. The temp swing, measured by a thermometer, is more than 50° and it tends to burn things on the bottom. I have tried putting ceramic and metal sheets in various places, but nothing seems to help.

Also the propane connection to run other devices off the two big propane tanks on the trailer hasn't worked out - everything we have already has a regulator built in.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Your sink looks like ours. (hideout 22kbswe) And the dealership say's that there is not any covers for the sink. So we bought a couple of cutting boards that cover each side. It is a shame that there is not any available.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:46 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
Your sink looks like ours. (hideout 22kbswe) And the dealership say's that there is not any covers for the sink. So we bought a couple of cutting boards that cover each side. It is a shame that there is not any available.
Your dealer is mistaken. Apparently he is not familiar with what is available for your trailer or he just didn't want to take the time to get you a set of sink covers. They are available almost anywhere RV parts are sold and are standard equipment on many brands of travel trailers. Your sink is not unique to the Hideout line, it's used in numerous Keystone brands and also in their competition.

Here are links to covers for the large and small sides of the sink. There is also a cover that fits over the entire sink. It comes in parchment, white and gray.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...SABEgLPqPD_BwE
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...yABEgIfRPD_BwE

ADDED: The large one piece sink cover is also available, however it is so large that it's difficult to find a place to store it and you can't use either side of the sink with the cover in place, so it's not as "practical" for most trailer kitchens.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...archment/71336

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-31-2017, 06:15 AM   #14
jsmith948

At the risk of being called a cynic - Could it be that your dealer removes these items and then sells them in his store? I have read numerous threads on here about trailers being sold without a spare wheel, wrenches for the stabilizers, etc. Call Keystone Customer Service and ask what items are included with the trailer and then hold your dealer's feet to the fire.
By the way...as an example, when we picked our trailer up, the silverware drawer was coming apart (it was not that way when we first looked at the trailer) I pointed out the damage to the tech. and he said they could order a new drawer. I told him it wasn't like that before and that he should switch it out from another trailer like they had obviously done with ours. They probably just kept switching that drawer until a buyer failed to notice it. I know - I know - cynical...but once bitten twice shy

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout, keystone