Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
Goose

Dutch Oven Antics

Just purchased an Ozark Trail 5 qt. camp dutch oven from Walmart. Does anyone have any experience with this particular one? I know it's not a Lodge, but for $18 I really couldn't pass it up. Build quality looks pretty good. My only concern is that the lid handle is screwed on instead of being one piece. Comes preseasoned, but I will be seasoning it myself. Legs look good and lid sits on top securely and has a nice seal. Any insight, tips or must try recipes would be helpful and welcomed.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
JoePK

Ozark Trail

Hello, I don't have that pot style, but have other Ozark Trail items, and they are really nice for the price you pay. The pot you bought gets good reviews from other people. They say to make sure the lid fits good and tight when you buy one. Hope this helps a little
Joe
Old 07-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePK View Post
Hello, I don't have that pot style, but have other Ozark Trail items, and they are really nice for the price you pay. The pot you bought gets good reviews from other people. They say to make sure the lid fits good and tight when you buy one. Hope this helps a little
Joe
I have other OT items as well and love them. Their steel drinking tumblers are awesome. Work just as well as the Yeti ones. I think I will be happy with it. Can't beat that price. Worst case is it falls apart in a couple years and I'll just invest in a Lodge. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Desert185

Boom Cake

Depending size of crowd and dutch oven, one or two boxes of:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krusteaz-...&wl13=&veh=sem

Add Maker's Mark bourbon until batter is saturated and adding anymore while stirring will only float on mixture.

Do not add anything else, only the mix and bourbon.

Cover with lid and place on coals with some on lid for approx 20 minutes until the "slurry" is done.

Use caution when opening lid to check doneness or a blue halo (boom) will occur.

Share and enjoy.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Boom Cake

Depending size of crowd and dutch oven, one or two boxes of:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krusteaz-...&wl13=&veh=sem

Add Maker's Mark bourbon until batter is saturated and adding anymore while stirring will only float on mixture.

Do not add anything else, only the mix and bourbon.

Cover with lid and place on coals with some on lid for approx 20 minutes until the "slurry" is done.

Use caution when opening lid to check doneness or a blue halo (boom) will occur.

Share and enjoy.
This is a must try. Sounds awesome. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2017, 04:34 AM   #6
jkohler70

Dump cakes are easy can't miss for my group, but I suggest getting some liners to make clean-up easy. The family is also a big fan of the enchilada bake. It's just ground beef mixed with enchilada sauce (and any other veggies you want), layered with tortillas and cheese. Spread beef mixture on bottom, top with tortillas and cheese, then beef, more tortillas and cheese, etc.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:07 AM   #7
Dave W

Geeze - if only you had purchased the Camp Chef 12 quart version, you could have invited all of us for a treat.

(Now I know what happened to all those junk MoPar engines - they went to China only to return a year later as cooking pots)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:39 AM   #8
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohler70 View Post
Dump cakes are easy can't miss for my group, but I suggest getting some liners to make clean-up easy. The family is also a big fan of the enchilada bake. It's just ground beef mixed with enchilada sauce (and any other veggies you want), layered with tortillas and cheese. Spread beef mixture on bottom, top with tortillas and cheese, then beef, more tortillas and cheese, etc.
Yeah, dump cakes will be a sure thing. Your enchilada bake sounds like a winner as well. You use foil for your liner, or do they actually make liners for the dutch oven? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:42 AM   #9
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Geeze - if only you had purchased the Camp Chef 12 quart version, you could have invited all of us for a treat.

(Now I know what happened to all those junk MoPar engines - they went to China only to return a year later as cooking pots)
Haha 😂 I think you are right. Until I get some Dutch Oven cooking sessions under my belt, I won't be cooking for large groups anytime soon. Well, at least until Cub Scouts start up again and we go camping. Better practice now!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #10
SLIMSHADIE

Parchment paper for the dutch oven. Makes clean up a snap. Ive been making my own liners for a couple years now, its something like this. I buy the longest parchment paper I can find, then I just fold diagonally till the triangle goes from 0-1" then trim to make the biggest circle I can. A little practice and you will figure it out.

http://backyardlifeblog.com/2012/08/...ch-oven-liner/
Old 07-25-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMSHADIE View Post
Parchment paper for the dutch oven. Makes clean up a snap. Ive been making my own liners for a couple years now, its something like this. I buy the longest parchment paper I can find, then I just fold diagonally till the triangle goes from 0-1" then trim to make the biggest circle I can. A little practice and you will figure it out.

http://backyardlifeblog.com/2012/08/...ch-oven-liner/
A good idea to use liners when making Boom Cake. The sugary cinnamon mix leaves a mess behind that drives the wifey nuts.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #12
Johnny's Journey

I was a little nerves opening "Dutch Oven Antics" because of it's placement. Odds and Ends.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:24 AM   #13
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny's Journey View Post
I was a little nerves opening "Dutch Oven Antics" because of it's placement. Odds and Ends.
Haha! That crossed my mind. That would be a topic for another day or after using your Dutch Oven.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #14
GaryWT

We have a lodge and love it but my son was looking at some of the cheaper ones. For us, the key is not to use too many coals top and bottom to avoid burning. Through the years we have cooked chickens, meatloaf, ribs, ham, brownies, cake, apple pie, cinnamon buns and corn bread to name a few. Anything you cook in the oven or crock pot can be cooked in the dutch oven, enjoy.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #15
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
We have a lodge and love it but my son was looking at some of the cheaper ones. For us, the key is not to use too many coals top and bottom to avoid burning. Through the years we have cooked chickens, meatloaf, ribs, ham, brownies, cake, apple pie, cinnamon buns and corn bread to name a few. Anything you cook in the oven or crock pot can be cooked in the dutch oven, enjoy.
Thanks for the tip. We are heading to Disney's Fort Wilderness soon and I can't decide what to make first. I'm thinking a cobbler since the wife is not a steak or stew fan. Thanks again!