Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
pmcmath

Fuzion 371 garage speaker

Was hoping for a quick fix on this but no go. My right rear garage speaker has never worked that I know of. Switched out the speakers and have found that the speaker works fine. Checked the wiring at the speaker with the connections and found speaker wires coming off of a white and blue wire thats a bit thicker. The left side has speaker wire in the run. Went to the stereo with that speaker and no issues as the stereo is pushing sound to that side and works at the head unit. Both outside speakers work fine. So with that said it has to be somewhere between the speaker and the stereo. With that said how in the world can you see or even think to figure out how that wire is run or any connections???? Thanks for any replies or help.
pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcmath View Post
Was hoping for a quick fix on this but no go. My right rear garage speaker has never worked that I know of. Switched out the speakers and have found that the speaker works fine. Checked the wiring at the speaker with the connections and found speaker wires coming off of a white and blue wire thats a bit thicker. The left side has speaker wire in the run. Went to the stereo with that speaker and no issues as the stereo is pushing sound to that side and works at the head unit. Both outside speakers work fine. So with that said it has to be somewhere between the speaker and the stereo. With that said how in the world can you see or even think to figure out how that wire is run or any connections???? Thanks for any replies or help.
Really not following your explanation of the wiring you found, Just for some general information. Some of these rigs had switches located at the control panel to select different combinations of speakers to be on/off. Also did you check the main stereo to see, if it has it, that the fade/balance controls are set correctly? That bigger wire you are referring to runs back to the main amp. On the Raptor there is a Hugh power amp where these larger cables connect. Think it may me around 200 watts nice heater and it keeps the batteries honest Used sometime to vibrate leaves off the roof
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:24 AM   #3
pmcmath

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Really not following your explanation of the wiring you found, Just for some general information. Some of these rigs had switches located at the control panel to select different combinations of speakers to be on/off. Also did you check the main stereo to see, if it has it, that the fade/balance controls are set correctly? That bigger wire you are referring to runs back to the main amp. On the Raptor there is a Hugh power amp where these larger cables connect. Think it may me around 200 watts nice heater and it keeps the batteries honest Used sometime to vibrate leaves off the roof
I went to the back of the stereo and disconnected the same wire (color and thickness) from the left side speaker and hooked up speaker directly to harness. The speaker worked fine. The same color wire continuing at the harness comes out at the speaker hole and mount in the garage. Nothing works on the left side at the garage end but works directly from the harness so whatever is wrong is in between the stereo and the speaker hole wire which is pretty thick so it had to be cut or something. Gonna be a pain in the butt no matter and thankfully its still under warranty.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:40 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have vents in the roof, you can remove the trim ring and then fish around and see if the speaker wire is run up there like most RV's. If you do find the same color wires give them a gentle tug, common for staples to pierce and cause issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:22 AM   #5
pmcmath

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you have vents in the roof, you can remove the trim ring and then fish around and see if the speaker wire is run up there like most RV's. If you do find the same color wires give them a gentle tug, common for staples to pierce and cause issues.
At this stage Im going to wait and let my warranty work for me when I have a few others things done.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcmath View Post
At this stage Im going to wait and let my warranty work for me when I have a few others things done.
Sounds good. If you bought it new, and the dealership did a proper PDI, it would have been addressed at that time. Make sure they fix it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
xcntrk

Did you look at the switch? Somehow that switch is allowing you to selectively control the garage pair of speakers ON/OFF. Which must mean both sets of amplified signals (L/R) pass through the switch. Maybe it's something simply like one of the ends unplugged at the switch?

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #8
pmcmath

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
Did you look at the switch? Somehow that switch is allowing you to selectively control the garage pair of speakers ON/OFF. Which must mean both sets of amplified signals (L/R) pass through the switch. Maybe it's something simply like one of the ends unplugged at the switch?
I didn't but I am going to go out and check that now and will report back what I find. Good thought and didnt consider that.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Just an added note, if you find out you have these switches I had and still have a faulty switch which just happens to be the one that switches garage speakers on/off, have to jiggle it at times Pulled control panel out one day and looked back there only to see that rocker switch was glued in Will deal with this later. Good Luck

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
pmcmath

It was a disconnected wire at the garage switch as mentioned above. When i took the switches out the clip was on the connector but the wire was not crimped tight enough and had slipped out. One quick crimp and speaker worked like a champ. Thanks for the tips all....fixed and back in stereo sound again!!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Good Job !!!!

Thanks for getting back to us

Now you can see if you can vibrate stuff off the roof

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #12
pmcmath

Quote:
Good Job !!!!

Thanks for getting back to us

Now you can see if you can vibrate stuff off the roof
HAHA thats no problem....I replaced the Sonys with Kickers.....

Tags
fuzion