Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
bob48

doors not closing right

i have a 2005 montana 3685, my problem is the doors that hold the propane tanks won't close correctly.at the hinge side of the door the in a gap on the lock side there is a slight gap at the top and the bottom won't close(no gap). are these hinges repairable or replaceable?
thank you
bob48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Re: doors not closing right

The hinges are just aluminum, many times you can make a slight "adjustment" to get everything back into alignment. I typical alignment tool could be a set of pliers or just a little muscle.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
theeyres

I've used pliers more than once on the locks when the key started getting really tough to turn and used that muscle way more than once to realign doors!

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:19 AM   #4
Dave W

It may be that the latch tab needs a little tweak. I would not do it while the locks are in place though as that door is really pretty flimsy. Needed tools - a Phillips screw driver, a big Crescent wrench, socket or water pump pliers and optional, a bench vise though a Crescent wrench and a pair of pliers will work. A couple light whangs with a hammer will bend the tab a slight bit. It's trial and error as to how much to bend these tabs. It might be that the screws that hold the latch tabs in place have come loose too. Try tightening them first. Then, it might just be that the latches have gotten sloppy internally in the past 11 years and need to be replaced. They are less then 5 bucks each. If you really need to 'adjust' the hinge, use a block of wood and some really careful hammer work. Pliers can gouge any protective anodization and leave fugly scratches
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
It may be that the latch tab needs a little tweak. I would not do it while the locks are in place though as that door is really pretty flimsy. Needed tools - a Phillips screw driver, a big Crescent wrench, socket or water pump pliers and optional, a bench vise though a Crescent wrench and a pair of pliers will work. A couple light whangs with a hammer will bend the tab a slight bit. It's trial and error as to how much to bend these tabs. It might be that the screws that hold the latch tabs in place have come loose too. Try tightening them first. Then, it might just be that the latches have gotten sloppy internally in the past 11 years and need to be replaced. They are less then 5 bucks each. If you really need to 'adjust' the hinge, use a block of wood and some really careful hammer work. Pliers can gouge any protective anodization and leave fugly scratches
An old rag will prevent the fugly scratches.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote