Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
HDutton

Adding a wall toggle switch for the overhead lights

Our Cougar 291 has the overhead light switch in the electrical control panel. This is very difficult for the co-pilot to use. How difficult is it to access the exterior wall to add a toggle switch or has anyone used a wireless type of lighting switch?
HDutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The Cougar line uses "vacuum bonded luan/Styrofoam/luan/filon walls. Since these walls are vacuum bonded, it would be extremely difficult to run wiring through them to a switch. A couple of "easier options" might be running wiring to a cabinet attached to the outer wall or find a location on an inner wall to place your switch. Possibly you could run the wiring along the entry door, down through the floor and up through an interior wall to the ceiling where you could fish it to the light fixture, but that's going to be a monumental job. Much easier to locate a more convenient spot on the same interior wall as your control panel and jumper to a more convenient switch location on that same wall (if that's possible with your specific floor plan).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
GaryWT

As co-pilot I am guessing you are riding in the truck. Would guess that it would be difficult for anyone to use the switch during travel time. Once setup the panel should be available to all. Is there another reason you would like to know about this.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
djones19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDutton View Post
Our Cougar 291 has the overhead light switch in the electrical control panel. This is very difficult for the co-pilot to use. How difficult is it to access the exterior wall to add a toggle switch or has anyone used a wireless type of lighting switch?
I fished down the wall and installed this at the hollow stair. can turn on lights while standing on the ground prior to entry. I also extended the outlet that is above sink to the wall so I could plug in a short cord coffee maker. Added USB charging and night lights in the outlet. Added the same outlet when we ripped out the bench seats and added chairs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_125200.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	11166   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_125314.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	11167   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_125324.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	11168   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_124553.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	11169  
Old 09-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Pmedic4

Wall switch for overhead lights

I'm with you on this one HDutton. Found the problem JRTJH mentioned, as I like to do a lot of my own electrical and consider myself capable. Seemed like an easy routing of the wire from the panel on the upper back of the RV, to a place right by the door. NOPE, not a chance, can't even take the panel off without major damage, and rebuild. We've lived with it. I will say these Cougars could have a muche better light switch planning and installs. The only wall mounted switch in the whole RV is in our little potty room, and of course the terrible location for the overhead lights. Almost considered putting in some remote switch/relay option, but didn't seem that bad... Unless you and your SO are short, and can't reach the wall unit.

I did wire in outside color changing LED light strip, off the switch from porch light. Really lights up under the awning.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote