Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
Wildhorse

Another Pullright Superglide hitch question

Again, newbie here with countless dumb questions... Last time out I opened the sliding rear window on my truck and the noise coming from the hitch under tow is unsettling. It pops and creeks and is stressful to the point of shutting the window in order to relax while driving. Is this normal for these hitches?

BTW I clean and lube with WD40 per the manual before each use.
Wildhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
dcg9381

Can you shoot some video?
There's a stop adjustment on the hitch that needs to be tight when the hitch is centered and in the full-forward position. Outside of that, I think that because of how this hitch is made (sliders on nylon-ish blocks) there is certainly some give and take in the hitch during normal towing which shows up as "chucking".

Moving down the road no accel/decel, my hitch is completely quiet. It does make some noise when auto sliding and when starting or stopping.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
jaitken0016

I've got the 15K. Mine does the same thing pulling a 35ft Cougar. Been pulling for about 6 years on the same hitch. Never a problem to worry about.
jaitken0016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Harleyhop

I have the pull rite 18k. I leave the back window open most of the time for the pooch and I do not have any of the noises you hear. You might have the front to back bolt adjustment a little too tight against the plate.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
Wildhorse

I noticed one sound unique particularly when making right turns at intersections and then accelerating out of the turn. I guess I'd describe that noise as a popping or snapping sound.

My wife rode in the back seat for a while and said that the noise was in her opinion related to turns. For lack of a better description it seems like there is some slack or slop in the hitch and it rattles and clunks when braking is initiated or accelerating after having braked.

Generally it's just noisy. We're going to Moab next week so I'll have the wife shoot a video of it from the back seat or I'll mount a go pro if I remember.

Thanks for the replies... Have the manual on the table next to me and I'm going to read up on the adjustment.
Wildhorse is offline   Reply With Quote