Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2016, 03:17 AM   #1
GaEd

Manual slide location

Just purchased 2010 Copper Canyon 5er, 252fwrls. Need help locating the manual slide access. Any help out there?
GaEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:33 AM   #2
bexparza

Manual Slide Location

My wife and I own a 2015 Laredo travel trailer. The slides open via a cable pulley system driven by a small hydraulic pump. The trailer came with a small hex head adapter you insert into a drill. You insert the tool into the back of the pump and manually drive the pump.Hope this helps. The hydraulic pump is located behind the upper slide trim on the interior of the trailer.
bexparza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:13 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Cable driven slides use an electric motor not a hydraulic one.

GaEd: your slides are probably electric with a rack and pinion type movement. When the slide(s) are out do the tubes have a set of gear teeth on the bottoms? If so,then the drive motor will be underneath, inside the frame, and if your underbelly is sealed, there should be an access cover. Normal installation is for the motor to be on one tube or the other.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:22 AM   #4
TAZ23

It would help if you told us what type off slide out(s) you have. Some have cable slides witch are as described above and some are gear driven and some are hydraulic. Our camper has 2 cable slides which are manually operated from inside with a Flex fitting and a drill, access is on the top. We also have one gear driven slide out which is accessed from the bottom of the camper. there is a Square about 15' by 15" in the coroplast underbelly that is directly below the slide out manual crank.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
GaEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ23 View Post
It would help if you told us what type off slide out(s) you have. Some have cable slides witch are as described above and some are gear driven and some are hydraulic. Our camper has 2 cable slides which are manually operated from inside with a Flex fitting and a drill, access is on the top. We also have one gear driven slide out which is accessed from the bottom of the camper. there is a Square about 15' by 15" in the coroplast underbelly that is directly below the slide out manual crank.
Thanks for reply. The slide is gear driven. So I have to crawl beneath the slide to locate/use the manual override?
Old 03-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

If you are operating the slide manually, disconnect the battery or the slide motor so that the motor is not damaged. Just curious ..... why do you feel you must move the slide manually?????
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
TAZ23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaEd View Post
Thanks for reply. The slide is gear driven. So I have to crawl beneath the slide to locate/use the manual override?
To do it manually yes. The only time I have ever done it is to see how it works. If its the same set up as mine the cover only shows you the location of the access point, after removing the cover you will need to cut a hole in the coroplast to actually get to it. Just make sure you cut the hole smaller than the cover so you can reinstall the cover. I have never had a slide out failure but I like to know how it works just in case.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

On our unit, the access to the manual over ride was already cut out. It is a small "flap" cut on 3 sides with the uncut portion forming a "hinge". This flap door is held closed by a plastic tie. If you do need to cut the coroplast, make sure you leave the uncut "hinged" portion at the front of the unit. The 3 cuts are made at the two sides and the back of the flap.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:09 AM   #9
TAZ23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
On our unit, the access to the manual over ride was already cut out. It is a small "flap" cut on 3 sides with the uncut portion forming a "hinge". This flap door is held closed by a plastic tie. If you do need to cut the coroplast, make sure you leave the uncut "hinged" portion at the front of the unit. The 3 cuts are made at the two sides and the back of the flap.
Good catch festus, I forgot to mention that
Old 03-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #10
GaEd

Thanks, I think I can locate it now. Do not need to, just want to know how in case of problem.