Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
Bigt47

Atwood Heater

I have a 2015 Keystone Bullet with a Atwood Heater. The heater will not produce heat. When the thermostat calls for heat the blower comes on for a short time then turns off. I do not hear the electronic igniter attempting to start the flame. Checked to ensure other gas appliances are receiving gas, which they are. What are the most likely causes for the the heater not to function?
Bigt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Bigt47

Atwood Heater 1.1

To add to my previous post I am connected to shore power at the camp ground.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Bigt47 -
Try setting your thermostat to "AUTO" and see if that makes a difference.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigt47 View Post
I have a 2015 Keystone Bullet with a Atwood Heater. The heater will not produce heat. When the thermostat calls for heat the blower comes on for a short time then turns off. I do not hear the electronic igniter attempting to start the flame. Checked to ensure other gas appliances are receiving gas, which they are. What are the most likely causes for the the heater not to function?
There are a number of "furnace operation/troubleshooting" guides online. One that I've found to be particularly helpful is located at: http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Furnace_Trouble-2.pdf

There is a good explanation of your symptoms located in that manual. Here is a part of it that will likely explain your problem and possible solutions:

Fan Runs but No Heat from Ducts
This is a classic condition with several possible causes, most of which should be obvious after reading the Operational Overview.
1. The Sail Switch is not closing, so no power to the rest of the furnace. This may be because of a defective switch or because the fan is turning too slowly to push the sail enough to fully close the switch. A slow motor may result from low voltage at the motor (check voltage at batteries and at the fan) or a motor that is simply not turning well due to dirt or corrosion. A blockage of the Return Air Intake can also cause a lack of air flow against the Sail.
2. The High Limit Switch has failed and is not closed, so no power reaches the Controller
Circuit Board and hence no ignition. Check for 12+ volts leaving the switch and/or at the terminal on the controller.
3. The Control Circuit Board is failing and either does not open the Gas valve or does not trigger the Igniter. Check for 12V to the gas valve during the opening cycle.
4. The Gas Valve fails to open, so no propane in the burner. Could be a bad valve or simply no 12v power is reaching the valve (check voltage).
5. The Gas Valve is open but no propane flows. Possible causes include no propane or low propane pressure (less than 11 water column inches). Low or no propane can be caused by a clogged line or main propane regulator. Check other propane appliances for proper operation.
6. The Igniter fails to spark (or in a non-DSI furnace, the Pilot Light is not on). Could be a defective Igniter or no 12v power is reaching it. It is also possible the gap at the ends of the Igniter electrodes is too great (or that they are shorted together).
7. Igniter does not confirm that ignition was successful (no flame is sensed), so the Control/Ignition board has shut down (lock-out)
8. Propane and spark are present but the burner doesn’t light. This can occur if the Combustion Air Intake is clogged and there is insufficient air flow through the combustion chamber.
9. Loose or corroded connections in any of the above components.

I see that your RV is a 2015 model. The Atwood warranty is for 2 years from date of purchase, so you may or may not still have a manufacturer's warranty. If you do, or if you're unsure, I'd contact your dealer to at least confirm whether or not you're covered by Atwood's warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
Bigt47

Festus2,

Tried that to no avail. Thank you for your suggestion.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If your under warranty I would definitely take it in to the dealer. There is some sophisticated equipment that we use to troubleshoot these things quickly. I wouldn't suggest throwing parts at it, because the control board isn't cheap and I would want it tested to confirm it's bad first.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Are you able to take it in or are you staying in it?

If you're not able to take it in you might power down the thermostat as well as the controller on the heating unit then repower them to see if anything will change. Mine quit once and I could make it fire back up by doing the above but it would quit again. Got me thru a cold snap. It was a bad control board in the end.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
CaptnJohn

I was at a CG when a problem with Atwood under warranty. They tried to help me find the problem and could not. They emailed a list of 4 techs to call. I paid the $50 service call, Atwood paid for diagnostics, parts, and repair. If out of warranty they will know by the VIN.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote