Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Jens Weber

Water seepage into the front storage.

I have a Cougar 21 RBSWE that is now 1/2 year old. When it rains, I get some water on the floor in the storage compartment next to the door on the left side. I am pretty sure it is the caulking around the door frame that is not tight because I tried with a hose, and there was water coming onto the inside upper edge of the frame. My question is: Which type of caulking should I use and do I need to remove the seal that is already there.
Thanks in advance.
2022 Passport 189 RB
2014 Ford F150 XLT
Jens Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would remove the entire door assembly. Clean all the sealant off the flange and sidewall.

Then use butyl tape on the flange, screw the door back in place, and then trim any tape sticking out with a plastic knife. At that point you shouldn't need anything else, but you could run a bead of silicone on the top and sides.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
theeyres

Chuckster is right on. You can't fix a leak by just running a bead around the edge. It will always open up again. You will only finally stop a leak by getting the appropriate sealant between the two surfaces. Don't ask me how I know!

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:02 AM   #4
slow

It very well may be the door frame to TT wall seal, but I will share what I found when we had a storage compartment leak. It may save you the time and effort of resealing the entire door frame to the body of the TT and not resolving the root issue if the same as mine.

The storage compartment door pivot extrusion at the top of the compartment door is mechanically fastened to the door frame attached to the TT wall. There is no sealant between the pivot extrusion and the frame extrusion. If this interface opens up for any reason, it becomes a water entry path. In our case, water was entering the baggage compartment at this unsealed interface. This was confirmed by pouring water on top of the pivot extrusion (not the door frame interface to TT wall interface) and witnessing the water seeping into the storage compartment. A bead of clear silicone (all I had at the time) along the top of the pivot extrusion at the interface with the door frame (not the door frame to TT wall as has been discussed so far in this post) took care of the problem. I would post a picture, but the TT is now in storage.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
Lee

Hi,

If the TT is only 1/2 year old, wouldn't this be a warranty repair?

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:58 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Water seepage into the front storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

If the TT is only 1/2 year old, wouldn't this be a warranty repair?

Yes. But if you consider how far away the dealer is, how long they may have it, and quality of work it may be cheaper to DIY.
If I was to take it in, it would be for mare than one issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
captbozy

I had the same issue on my 2016 Passport. Mine was
Noticed when the camper was stored and not level. The problem could be prevented with a small bead of sealant under the hindge during manufacturing.
captbozy is offline   Reply With Quote