Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
steveh326

Cougar vs Laredo?

Is there a compelling reason to choose one over the other? Really like the Cougar 33RES and Laredo 314RE, on paper they are almost identical floor plans. I need to plan a day trip to check them out in person at 2 dealers a couple hours from me while they still have them in stock.

Both models have a few features I wish the other one had. Not a large enough difference in price for that to be my deciding factor. I was under the impression that the fit/finishes in the Laredo were a little higher-end but I could be totally wrong on that. It seems to me like the Laredo still has the walkable roof and mor-ryde suspension which are pluses for me. but the kitchen counter space and storage on the cougar seems a little better...

We have a Forest River TT now but looking more and more like my next purchase will be a Keystone product.

Thanks for your help!
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Both the Laredo and the Cougar XLite are in the "Select category" which means they are in the "medium price range". Construction techniques are almost the same. The décor/interior color are the major differences between the lines as pretty much all of the appliances, hardware, chassis, tires/running gear are the same.

On the two floor plans you identified, the Cougar has a "king bed" with a "smaller bath/corner shower" where the Laredo has a "queen bed" with a slightly larger bath/residential shower". There are many "subtle" differences in the floor plans and in décor, but from a "build perspective" they both have very similar superstructures, aluminum/steel construction, vacuum bonded foam walls and almost identical "appliance/component" offerings.

Pretty much, it will come down to which floor plan fits your needs best. Or, as with my DW, she has walked into "almost identical trailers" and immediately said, "I don't like this one". When asked why, her response was, "The color sucks".... So..................

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
.... "I don't like this one". When asked why, her response was, "The color sucks".... So..................
This made me laugh. Lost count how many times I heard that while shopping for our current fiver

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
steveh326

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
This made me laugh. Lost count how many times I heard that while shopping for our current fiver
it must be a universal thing, my wife said the same thing when shopping for our current trailer and also when looking at new units now...

thanks all for the info...
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
wayfun

We looked at the 314RE but chose the Laredo 322RL. It has a similar kitchen with rear living. For us one of the selling points was the "full size" shower stall. I'm a good sized guy and I could barely turn around in those corner shower stalls. We also preferred the seating arrangement in the 322 because you didn't have to look to the side to watch TV and my wife liked the pantry in it better. I do like the 314 bedroom layout better. So far we've been very satisfied with the quality of the Laredo.

Dennis
wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
LaTundra

Choices

All of our decisions are equal. DW picks the color and I pick the payment plan.
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote