Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
concours

travel to the Baja

Has anyone travelled down the Baja, if so was it safe or is it best to go with an organised caravan?
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Desert185

I gave up on Mexico. The treatment of Sgt Tahmooressi was the last straw.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I don't do Mexico anymore either. I've always wanted to go to Baja but my good friend and his buddy took their RVs to Lake Guerrero for a week of fishing. On the way back the Federales had a road block; stopped them and took everything of monetary value they had....money, rods/reels, rings etc. They were scared you know what. They don't do Mexico anymore either.....

Lots of folks do Baja and have good luck. It's a little more remote and doesn't draw as much attention except during races. If you did decide to go I would definitely do it in tandem with others. Regardless, Mexico at this point in time is a lawless, corrupt place.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
theeyres

Try Baja Winters. http://www.bajawinters.com/ This guy lives on Baja as well as in the San Diego area. He is an ol' surfer dude that has a surfing business on Baja on the beach. Because he is fluent in Spanish and knows all the ins and out of living and travelling in Baja I don't think you can find a safer way to go. We did a trip with him and loved it. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
gearhead

No way for me. I worked in Laredo a couple years ago and well...just no way.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Years ago we did the Airstream (Wally Byam) Caravan to Mexico. They loaded our TV/Airstream on a flatbed rail car, we sat in first class rail cars for the trip. There were probably 150-175 trailers in the caravan. It was a blast.

These days, I'm not sure I want to go within 2 or 3 miles of the border (On the US side)... As said, Mexico is a lawless, out of control situation. Without getting into international politics, until the Mexican government becomes responsible for the actions of Mexican officials, it's not a place to be a foreigner in an "out of control" land...................

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
Voyager

My wife and I towed our trailer down there for a month four years ago, no problems at all. Lots of RV's of all types, the Mexican people were very friendly and helpful. You will go through several road blocks but they are usually polite and just checking for drugs or guns. We went alone but you meet up other RVers and end up hanging out together. I had all kinds of people warn me about going but most had never been there, just go, use common sense and have a good time.
2 Champion 2000's
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
B-O-B'03

For the wife's 50th I rented a 450 year old Hacienda, not too far from Delores Hidalgo and we drove done there from the Dallas area.

My best friend, who is in a wheelchair and his wife drove down with us, in his 40 foot diesel pusher, dragging his mini-van along behind.

We took 2.5 days getting down there, spending the night in Laredo, TX and San Louis Potosi and then spent a week touring around, using the Hacienda as our base.

Coming home we spent the night in Saltillo and then beat it straight home from there.

We did not have any problems with the Federales, the roads were excellent and everyone we met seemed genuinely happy we were there.

That was in 2008 and I have no idea if things are worse now, but I think I would do it again.

The wife being fluent in Spanish really helped out, coming across the border, when the title to both the coach and the mini-van were in my friend's name only... something about coming in with 2 vehicles and leaving with one.

The wife explained to them, that since he was in a wheelchair, he had to bring his house and his car with him and they found a way to get him in.

If you plan on driving a car into Mexico, there are rules follow and paper work you need to have, search on the web and have everything lined up, before you go.

YMMV.

-Brian
Old 08-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #9
Little Guy

The Baja

I have had the pleasure of traveling around the Baja on sport fishing adventures over the past few years. The Baja is generally considered to be one of the safest areas of Mexico to travel. The people are welcoming and the Baja is just beautiful. (Try the Loretto or Todos Santos areas). We have been stopped by the Federales and have not been harassed or shaken down. You do have to watch out for the local cops, as they are motivated to supplement their meager salaries. The local cops are usually on foot, and if they try to flag you over, just ignore them and keep on driving. I would not hesitate to visit the fabulous Baja. Traveling with others is always a good idea.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Guy View Post
You do have to watch out for the local cops, as they are motivated to supplement their meager salaries. The local cops are usually on foot, and if they try to flag you over, just ignore them and keep on driving. .
Really? Are they motivated enough to start shooting when you "ignore them and keep on driving"?

I don't know about you but if a "local cop" - who I assume is armed - motions for me to pull over and stop, that's exactly what I am going to do. Yes, he may be wanting to shake me down for a few dollars but the alternative doesn't look too attractive.

Ignoring them may work for you but not for me --- I'm chicken.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #11
Ken / Claudia

I have been told by friends about having a fun time and beautiful ocean side resorts. This is also what happened. A retired co worker in 2008 was their with his wife and had vacationed in there several times. After a dinner they were followed back to the condo/resort. shortly after they arrived the door was broken in and 3 guys beat his wife, beat and stabbed him, stole everything they could grab. They had to pay cash to the hospital before he could be flow to the US. He almost died. I suppose it could happen almost anywhere.
In 2011, 2 other co-workers traveled thru Mexico by pickup since one is from Honduras and lives there part time working for the military training dogs and handlers. They got stopped several times at road blocks, guys with M-16s pointed at them, yelling at them. One ran up to the side window with the rifle pointed at the passenger, with finger on the trigger. If he would have tripped he would have fired by accident.
I am afraid if I was stopped and they found out I have arrested suspects from Mexico with drugs or large amounts of cash and took down MJ grow sites arresting Mexican growers. I might never make it back to the USA. Just saying, no thanks I will spend my money and time else where.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
hankaye

Howdy All;

Same kinds of things happen here in the States.
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s...l#.VdtwovSrGbP
Only here the robbers don't need to worry about hospital bills
and the good guys get air time.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

2 things come to mind about the assault I mentioned in Mexico that are completely different than here. First yes, the victims might just armed and able to fight back here, not there. Second and most important I think about. Police there, will they even do anything to solve the crime? where they involved in the crime? Chances of the crooks being caught about 0% there, could be 80-90 % here if you believe crime sats.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:41 AM   #14
concours

Thanks for all the replies It looks like we will stay with Hemet which is a good place to stay for the winter
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Thanks for all the replies It looks like we will stay with Hemet which is a good place to stay for the winter
I think there is at least one "company" here in BC that organizes and guides RVers down the Baja. If my memory serves me, they are a "mom and pop" operation based in the Okanagan somewhere and conduct 2 trips each year. You might want to search them out and find out more about them.

I've visited their booth at the Abbotsford RV show but can't remember their name.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #16
Little Guy

The local cops do not carry guns or radios.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote