Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2015, 03:01 AM   #1
therink

Loud Air Conditioner Motor

While using the AC for the the first few times this season, I noticed the unit is much louder than last year. My rig is a 2013. It makes a loud whirring sound like metal on metal. I pulled of the top cover thinking the fan may have wasps nest or something. I see nothing wrong, nothing appears to be rubbing anywhere. The noise is coming from the motor, sounds like a bad bearing.
My question: Is there a lubrication point somewhere on the motor where perpetrating oil can be added? Or will I need to replace the motor? I am past the 2 yr AC warranty period. This is a Coleman 15k.
Thanks

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:07 AM   #2
Seabee

I'm pretty sure the bearings are sealed on that motor. Good thing is those motors aren't too expensive.
Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
I'm pretty sure the bearings are sealed on that motor. Good thing is those motors aren't too expensive.
Using my AC model number and serial number, any idea where I would buy one online?

Old 05-28-2015, 05:58 AM   #4
Seabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Using my AC model number and serial number, any idea where I would buy one online?
I'm assuming you have a Coleman? A quick Google search and there are more places than I can list.
Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You can go to this website: http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/#

In the top tab "TECHNICAL INFORMATION" you'll find a place to type in the model number of your unit. Go to the "PARTS" tab and find the motor part number. Then go to GOOGLE and type in that number followed by the word motor. You'll get a list of places where you can buy that motor. Be aware that not all places may be "legitimate" so be "internet savvy" with where you shop.

As an alternative, once you have the motor number, if you're near a large city, find the local Appliance Parts Pro company. They should have it in stock. If you're a vet, ask for your discount. Many of their stores will offer 15% off to vets. You can find the nearest store here: http://www.appliancepro.com/applianc...s-company.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
jtyphoid

Mine did not have lubrication points. I took it apart and it had sintered sleeve bearings, which are not intended to be re-lubricated by the end user. You *can* do it, but it involves heating the bearing up while submerged in oil. I think that it is much less trouble to buy a new motor.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
EricLynnAllison

My impeller is rubbing on something. I can reach up into where the impeller is and press down on the duct and the noise stops. Any thoughts?
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
therink

As a follow up to this post: I ordered and received a replacement motor from Amazon ($115 delivered - Fasco model D1092). I installed it today and AC is now quiet. The OEM 2 year old motor definitely had a bad bearing. Installation was a piece of cake. Everything fit like for like. The only thing is I had to splice all 5 wires inside the roof top enclosure. The OEM had a wiring harness that plugged into the control module inside the plenum. I sealed up the wires so I should be good to go.