Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
grubby

sway control issues

I have a 2015 f 150 with the 5.0 crew cab and I am pulling a 2015 passport 2890rl witch weighs I think 4800lbs dry. the dealer sold us a huskey round bar wdh and sway arm. we had a lot of sway but not big movements, just like a constant wiggle. I have talked to 100s of people about what to do and prob got every answer I could think of and one person would tell one thing and the other would tell the complete opposite. I called huskey about the set up on the hitch because I figured they would know, they told me that they recommend 2 sway arms on anything over 24 ft long and also that the spring bars do 90% of the sway control and the swat bars only do 10% of the swat control. they wanted me to go another link on the chain on the spring bars and go from there. what im asking is has anyone ever heard of that or what there opinion on what I should do.
I have redone the setup since I got the camper from the dealer, my truck is level and my camper sits level when on level ground and hooked up, it I go another link on the spring bars ( if I can even go another link ) will that help
grubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
bsmith0404

IMO, the people at Husky who design and build the hitch probably know better than anyone on this forum. I'm sure you can get another link on your bars, just raise the jack as high as it will go. I have a friend who actually raises the rear axle of the truck off the ground when hooking up his bars. I think that is a bit extreme, but it does make it easy to hook up.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
cblong

theres a few things you can do to reduce sway. you can add another friction sway control set up so your running two which will help but you need to remember to remove them when you get off the highway so you don't damage your rig they limit turning ability. I used to tow a 32' TT with a tahoe and it needed two friction sway control bars but I also broke one pulling off the highway into a gas station, you could also switch weight distribution hitches. there are a few others that have integrated sway control built in so theres no extra parts to add on. Andersen no-sway is one that comes to mind and its easy to set up. another approach would be to get new tires with a higher load rating. the thicker sidewall will help reduce some of the felt sway. but you do sacrifice some ride comfort when not towing.

Cougar High country 330 RBK
2014 F350 6.7 CC DRW
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax CCSB SOLD
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
RGene7001

1. You need 2 sway bars, no questions about it. I had to drive with 1 bar once, the other was broken. Same impression: no major sway, more trailer oscillations.
2. The trailers attitude should be slightly nose down.
3. Make sure your hitch is not too light, should be at least 10%.
Good luck

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:46 AM   #5
Javi

First the 2890RL is 5400 pounds dry and about 7200 loaded..

Two friction sway bars will help with SWAY in a big way but what you is feeling ain't SWAY...it's WAGGLE and 10 SWAY BARS ain't a gonna fix that...

I been there, done that and I got the "T-shirt", ball cap, and a 1/2 dozen pens for it...

After spending several thousand dollars to STOP it... New heavy 10 ply tires, new Bilstein shocks, new fancy hitch the 2890RL still wagged the truck.. My final solution was to buy an F-250... INSTANT FIX

P.S. Put about 20 gallons of water in the fresh water tank and it'll tow better until you get a truck that will actually handle a 2890RL..
Old 05-13-2015, 04:30 AM   #6
{tpc}

Kinda agree with javi on this one. But adjusting the spring bars may help. There is also an adjustment on the friction control itself. A lot of it is trial and error. For instance I know mine performs better on certain links when unloaded, when loaded better on other links.

At the end of the day, a bigger truck may help the most.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
sherri330

We had the same problem with our first TT that we pulled with a F-150. We had the Equalizer system and could not figure it out how to get rid of that "shimmy". Finally, we ran into someone at a campground with the same setup and he told us to upgrade our tires. Who would have thought that a truck with a "max tow package" would come with passenger tires! We upgraded to 10 ply tires and saw a big improvement! Since then, we upgraded to a bigger TT and an F-250. Now, we have to remind ourselves that we're pulling a trailer[emoji3]. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sherri330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
theeyres

I'm afraid Javi nailed it. First of all, you should not have sway if your trailer is loaded correctly, under normal conditions. Under normal highway conditions if your trailer is swaying something's wrong, probably your tongue weight is too light. The sway bars should only help in extreme conditions when a big wind gust, semi or swerve occurs.

Javi is probably correct in saying you have waggle. Your trailer is just plain pushing your TV around.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:57 AM   #9
audio1der

Have you tried playing with carrying fresh water while towing? Even though our hitch setup is different, the waggle is the same. Increasing our tongue weight (even though it near maxes our truck's payload) helps settle the waggle nicely. We also have stupid 20" P-rated tires which I believe will help some when replaced.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:09 AM   #10
lspajm

I have a 3220 bh and pulled with f150 and had exact same set up. I added another sway control and upgraded to f250. Made huge difference. I also tow with water tank full

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote