Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
vampress_me

Traveling across the states

A question for all the experienced travelers on here. Next summer I am wanting to travel east and west, not just a few hours down to our nice campground we found in state. Our first "big" trip will probably be to the finger lakes area of NY state, found a good campground there, but now have to figure out how to get from point A to point B. And it is also going to be just me and our 2 kiddos driving, hubby will be working while we drive out to him. I normally do all the hooking up/ towing, so that parts not a problem.

What does everyone do for places to stay for the on-the-road days? Do you just estimate how many hours you will be on the road and find a close campground? Are there any special things I should pay attention to while trying to find campgrounds for overnights? Do you empty the tanks every morning or ? Is there a different "routine" for overnight camping versus weekend camping? Anything I should know but obviously don't?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
GaryWT

Many people stop at Wal Mart or rest stops over night but I would highly recommend finding a campground along the way and pull in for the night. Plan how far you can comfortable drive in a day and look for a campground in the general area. You can call ahead or wing it. Some try to do a certain number of miles a day, say 250 or 400 or whatever. Others will go as far as they can in say 6 hours. Schedule stops and rest. As for hooking up, if you can get away without hooking up, do that. Maybe hook up every other night to dump. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

When we went coast to coast in '09 we stayed at a KOA each night. Got a membership (still have) and by the third night payed for itself. Some were nicer than others but each had to meet some minimum to be a KOA affiliate. WiFi every night that worked good, and I spent the evening planning the next days drive.

Since I was able to update my profile, KOA knew my rig, TV, length, number of slides, people and pets. I printed out my reservation and when I arrived all I has to do was show ID.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

vampress _me -
Since you will be travelling by yourself and the 2 "kiddos", I would avoid staying overnight at rest stops and Walmarts - especially rest stops. I'm sure that you are quite capable of looking after yourself but I think you would be better off staying at an RV park which would be more safe and secure IMO.

KOA's would be a good bet for an overnight stay or if you know your route, you can find a list of RV parks here: www.campgroundreviews.com These parks are rated by folks who have stayed there; and while the ratings are pretty subjective, they do give you a fairly good idea of what to expect when you get there.

Depending upon the total distance and the time you have available to get to where your husband is, I'd try to keep each day's driving and time spent behind the wheel at a minimum. Heading out the following morning feeling relaxed and refreshed makes for a more enjoyable and safer trip. I usually try to end my driving day around 3-4 pm. Six hours behind the wheel is plenty long enough for me - your level of endurance may differ.

Emptying your tanks frequently and keeping them partially filled with water (4-5 gallons)is a good idea to help keep them clean and fresh. Keep some water in your FW tank so that you can use and flush the toilet if necessary.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

We were on the road by 6:30-7:00 each morning. I was enjoying a cold one by 2 at the latest each day. I was able to rest with my cat while the DW and her sister did their thing.
Probably a byproduct of my old job- up at 3:30, at work by 5 off at 1:30 if no incidents. Old habits die hard....

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:37 AM   #6
notanlines

Vampress, I believe you are looking at quite the adventure for the three of you. Brenda and I are very jealous of you. Few things raise the excitement level at our house like someone yelling "Road trip." Assuming you are headed somewhere in the Binghamton area you are looking at about 1200 miles. We stayed a few nights at an RV park called Pine Valley RV Park just northwest of Binghamton. Very nice location, and lots to see in that area. We don't know much about your travel habits, but easy math will tell you this is a three day trip at 400 miles a day. Since we are in our 60's we only travel 400 miles if it is all interstate. I concur with what was said earlier about Walmarts and rest areas. Sorry for you, but you almost can't get to New York without going around Chicago. I would probably plan my travels to go through anytime but the two rush hours. (No offense to Chicagoans, of course) Good luck in your travels and let us know how it goes.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
geo

Vampires _ me -

A few years back, another member of this Forum offered this:

The Three Thirty Rule
Three hundred thirty miles or 3:30 in the afternoon. Which ever comes first, it's time to find a camp.

I found it to be great advice.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
koko

We concur with chuckster. We took a very extended trip to the east. Stayed in KOAs almost the whole time. Sometimes, believe it or not, it's only a few dollars more than a state park. The reason? We found that in some states you have to buy an out-of-state pass (some passes are $15 plus your night's stay - some charge as much as $25 = $40). Nebraska is just one example. Most KOAs are between $45 and $60 per night; and with the membership, points will be accumulated until you have enough for free nights. KOAs are really easy to find - some state parks are not; so on a trip like this, we want ease and some consistency. Agree with the comment about Walmart. Unless it's in a really nice area, they can be scary. However, we like to stay at Cracker Barrel on occasion. We always feel safe there.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #9
hankaye

vampress_me, Howdy;

Lots of good suggestions, especially Festus2's about avoiding overnights
in Rest Areas.
I use Truck Stops, why, I used to drive big trucks, and am familiar with the
etiquette. If you decide to try one for dry camping you do
not have to park where the big rigs are, ask for a manager at the fuel
desk (where the truck drivers pay for their fuel), then ask them for their
suggestion as to where would be a good spot for you to park or ask if you
have found a quiet section of the restaurants parking area if it's OK to stay
there. Be sure to get a spot under a light and visible form either the fuel
desk for the front doors of the restaurant/convenient store.They are free
and have all the amenities.

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Desert185

Vampress:

We joined www.passportamerica.com and will save the cost of our membership and more on our first trip. Check it out.

We're also Good Sam members and have a free, helpful iPad app called "RV Parky".

Be careful of overnighting in rest stops.

As far as emptying tanks every morning...no. I wait until the black tank is around 3/4 full before dumping it. You get a more thorough, flushing dump that way.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #11
Movin' on

Lots of great information from the others. Just wanted to mention two books that we carry with us and always use: One is the "Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory", and the other is: "The Next Exit". We just estimate where we want to stop for the night, pick a campground, call early in the day and usually have no problem reserving a spot.

Sounds like a nice adventure, have fun and stay safe.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
Laredo291OH

"The Next Exit" is also an app, something the kids can do, if they are like mine I'm not sure they would know what a "book" is. As far as overnights, we have done it at Walmarts, many times there are several RV's all parked together. Just call ahead and make sure it is legal (Walmart allows it, some local ordinances don't). Also, check out Cabela's, Bass Pro and similar stores. We stayed at a Cabela's overnight that had RV/Big rig parking in the rear. This one had stalls for horses, a dog run and water, not a hookup, but to be used for animals. Some of those type stores do have hookups though. Staying at those kind of places all depends on your comfort level.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
BirchyBoy

We drove from CO to ME this summer and spent nights at KOA's or Good Sam parks and had good luck. The only advice I would give is if you want to make it easy, ask for a spot that is level. You might be able to sneak in and out without unhooking and then hooking back up.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
theeyres

I have pretty much the same suggestions as others. With kids, stop traveling by 3 o'clock so the kids can explore, find the play ground and have some fun. They will be excited to discover new things every day. Stay in campgrounds. No, you don't have to hook anything but electricity many of the nights. Same for unhooking. Ask for spots where you don't have to unhook unless you want to do some touring. Good Sam has on-line cg searches. So does RV Reviews. Personally I have not found Passport America real helpful. They are often out of the way, not always places I would want the kids running around and always seem to not-valid the times of year I want to stay there. Many places are nice, though and you can go to their website and get an idea of stops along your chosen route.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
BirchyBoy

This is one site I don't see mentioned much for finding camping sites:

http://www.epgsoft.com/CampgroundMap/
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

I would not recommend making planned reservations along the trip. If you do, and anything happens (long line for fuel, traffic backup in a construction area, etc) you'll be faced with either driving well past your "intended stopping time" or losing your deposit. Either way, it's not a good feeling. We've always planned about where we would "think to stop" and looked for campgrounds in that general area. Then, if we are on schedule, we call about mid afternoon to get a reservation in one of the selected campgrounds. If we are behind (or even ahead) of schedule, we can always check the campground directory and make different plans. That way, we have the flexibility to not feel "rushed" or "have to push on" when we get toward the end of our travel day.

So far (we've been doing it this way since the 70's) we've never had an issue finding a place to stay for the evening. Of course, that is subject to some understanding that in very populated and favored camping areas, those rules don't apply. I'd never plan a tentative stop at Disney World, Yellowstone or ????? Those are "destination campgrounds" and you'd need advance reservations to even consider those types of places.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #17
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
Personally I have not found Passport America real helpful. They are often out of the way, not always places I would want the kids running around and always seem to not-valid the times of year I want to stay there. Many places are nice, though and you can go to their website and get an idea of stops along your chosen route.
In our case, five days in Palm Springs at a high-end park near our friends for half off in January was too good an opportunity to save $135 by joining for $44. Its just another option to consider beyond the 10% Good Sam discount or multiple stays in a Walmart or truckstop parking lot.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #18
vampress_me

Thank you all for the tips. I appreciate it! And also thank you for pointing out that I really don't have to be there in any certain number of days, so can stop earlier in the day to relax. I'm so used to driving 10 hour days (but in a car) when we make trips out west that that's become standard and I hadn't thought of doing it different. And I also think I will be finding campgrounds when headed east, to me that just feels safer when traveling into an area I don't know well. When we hopefully head west later in the summer, I may try other places to stop overnight just because I know the area better.

The next very newbie question - did I read some of the responses right when they talked about not unhooking from the truck overnight? If I don't unhook from the truck for the night if everything is sitting level, I assume I would still put down the leveling jacks and front feet to stabilize the 5'er, just not so much that it would mess with the hitch in the bed of the truck?

Old 12-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #19
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Sorry for you, but you almost can't get to New York without going around Chicago. I would probably plan my travels to go through anytime but the two rush hours. (No offense to Chicagoans, of course) Good luck in your travels and let us know how it goes.
I know. Chicago is not my favorite place to travel through anyway, and I'm guessing I won't change my mind pulling the trailer! Luckily, it's about 8 hrs away by car, so will stop before there the first night and make sure not to hit it the next morning during rush hour. But, we are going to try to tour the Keystone plant on the way, so at least we will have that to look forward to as we get thru Chicago.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:16 AM   #20
buckeyebobhockingcamper

yes,just raise front of trailer till hitch head barely clears truck hitch,making sure you chock wheels first,i find passport to be very usefull.
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote