Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
dcotton4

Holding tank sensors

I have a 2000 montana 2850RK that I purchased recently and have trouble with the black water and Galley water tank level sensors reading full when I know they are empty. I have tried the method of adding dishwasher soap and water softner and then pulling the camper and draining the tanks but this did not help. So whats my next move now? Do I need to check the sensors in the tank and how difficult are they to get at. All advice appreciated
Thanks, Dave
dcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Jim & DJ

I have the same problem and was told to put a couple of bags of ice cubes in the toilet, flush it and tow the rv a few blocks or miles and then drain. I have not tried that method as yet but also was told the tank sensors may not be serviceable. Good Luck.

By the way, welcome

Jim
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
WaltBennett

I've used dishwasher soap powder with some water softener and three five pound bags of ice cubes in the past successfully. Add about five or ten gallons of water and drive about a hundred miles or so, then dump & flush. This worked for our black tank. I'd try everything but the cubes on the galley one & see if that works. These gauges are really pathetic anyway, but any kind of dried 'stuff' on them will make them read full.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
hankaye

Howdy All;

It's my belief that tank level indicators were designed
to give you something to worry about, as if there wasn't
enough already ... pay attention to your tanks they will
give you indications for when they need dumped...
My indicators are hidden from view behind a coat. Never look at'em.
Haven't had any problems yet ... touch wood.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcotton4 View Post
I have a 2000 montana 2850RK that I purchased recently and have trouble with the black water and Galley water tank level sensors reading full when I know they are empty. I have tried the method of adding dishwasher soap and water softner and then pulling the camper and draining the tanks but this did not help. So whats my next move now? Do I need to check the sensors in the tank and how difficult are they to get at. All advice appreciated
Thanks, Dave

Dave

I found an interesting site with info on the sensors.

http://www.dmbruss.com/zTige/Tige_SeeLevel.htm

Here is a previous archive

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/arc...php?t-782.html

Cheers

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
dcotton4

Ok so here is what I came up with. On the black water tank I brought home some heavy duty degreaser from work and put about 2 quarts down the stool. Then I filled the tank almost full and then put a air hose down through the toilet and turned it on to agitate the solution for about 5 minutes. I then dumped the tank and refilled and dumped again and PRESTO! My black water monitor now reads correctly. Now if I can get the galley holding tank flushed I will have it whipped! Thanks, Dave
dcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcotton4 View Post
Ok so here is what I came up with. On the black water tank I brought home some heavy duty degreaser from work and put about 2 quarts down the stool. Then I filled the tank almost full and then put a air hose down through the toilet and turned it on to agitate the solution for about 5 minutes. I then dumped the tank and refilled and dumped again and PRESTO! My black water monitor now reads correctly. Now if I can get the galley holding tank flushed I will have it whipped! Thanks, Dave
Dave,

You'll have it whipped until the next time a piece of toilet paper or solid waste gets hung on the sensor and your troubles will start all over again. Unfortunately, anything you do to clean them will only last as long as you don't use your black tank. It seems that as long as you introduce "stuff" into the black tank, some of it has the likelihood of getting wrapped around the sensor and causing the problems with inaccurate tank readings all over again. That's why so many of us have just stopped worrying about even pushing the button on the wall.

Also, you might want to be careful what type of cleaners you put down the toilet. There are some rubber and synthetic rubber seals on the toilet flush valve and on the black tank drain valves that might not "like" the degreaser/cleaner solution. If they deform or "melt" you can create problems that aren't easy to fix.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I must be the exception to the rules. Every one of my trailers have had ZERO problems with proper sensor operation.

Maybe it's because I use lots of water, and dissolving paper. Never had a black tank rinser until this unit. And I tend to "over medicate" when charging the tank.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
thewhitehat

All these 'solutions' seem to be based on the premise that something is stuck in the tank. What if the sensors are broken or defective? Has anyone encountered this?
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
GaryWT

My belief like others is once it is cleared/cleaned it is only one or two trips from nor showing empty again. When I had the park model for 11 years, there was no sensor or anything, we just had to learn when it was time to dump, not big deal. Gray tank stays open as it would fill in a day anyway.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote