Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
SandMShall

Towing a Premier 31BHPR with Toyota Tundra ??

Hey from west Georgia. Our family is embarking on our quest to join our family friends with a purchase of a new travel trailer. I've always been known to do my "homework" prior to taking on a new hobby and this one will be no different. Luckily we will be taking our first couple trips with our friends who have had trailers for several years so I won't have to worry about backing my trailer into a camping spot. The plan is to attempt it myself until the campground traffic backs up. I'll then step out of my truck and let them back it in for me! Anyway...........

Our tow vehicle will be a 2007 Toyota Tundra limited 4x4 with a 4.7l v8 with the tow package installed. Towing limit is 7800lbs.

My DWs choice of trailers would start with a 2014 Premier 31BHPR. We recently took a field trip to a local dealer and loved the layout. The trailer weight comes in at 6440lbs. Dealer said to figure in another 1000lbs of carrying capacity.

I'd love to get some feedback on the above setup. We're lucky enough to have a local RV show that will be running in a couple weeks so we plan on spending an entire day learning anything and everything.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input and let me apologize in advance for all the stupid posts I'll be making in the near future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389673197.780836.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	4829  
SandMShall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you were to include the data about the Toyota from the sticker on the door, it would help make a more accurate assessment of your towing situation. Note that the advertised/stated dry weight of the TT (6440) is most likely on the low side, I would not use that as an accurate figure.

It would also help if you were to take the truck to a weigh scale and get it weighed so we know what its curb weight will be. Don't forget to include passengers in the total.

Off hand without knowing some of the specifics, I would say that the Toyota is not capable of safely towing this TT. I would highly recommend that you consider either a 3/4T or downsizing your TT to something quite a bit smaller if you will be towing it with the Toyota. A TT of that size is just not a good match for that truck IMO.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
SandMShall

I'm pretty much stuck with my current truck so the TT will need to be revised if need be. I'll post the additional information and weights tomorrow.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Another member and friend on here has a similar truck (Buzzcop) and tows the same trailer as mine a Cougar 24rks. Not sure what he upgraded but, he is happy and the weights are not over max.The trailer loaded and full of water at 6900lbs, hitch on mine is 900lbs thats real scaled weight.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
buzzcop63

SandMShall:
Looking at the specifications for 2014 Premier Ultra Light 31BHPR that show a 35'4" length compare this to the weight of your truck fully loaded, my 2012 Tundra, two wheel drive with full gas and load with wife and I, no trailer is 5,560Lb. I believe the truck needs to be heavier to help control the length of trailer exposed to wind and buffeting of passing trucks. Also the specifications show a Hitch weight of 795Lb, my truck is rated at 530Lb, even with a weight transfer hitch I think you will be over the weight on the Hitch. Also dry weight is 6,457 plus cargo of 1,543 gives a max weight on the trailer of 8,000Lb, this is over your trucks limit. Wife and I love our Tundra but think you need to go down in length and weight to stay safe.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
SandMShall

Here's a picture of the weight sticker in the truck. I'm hoping to get it on a scale this week.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389722890.376363.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	4830  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

I THINK I'LL 3RD THE MOTION OF FESTUS AND BUZZCOP! You need a bigger truck to tow that unit. Remember you may be able to pull it but stoping it is WHOLE NOTHER STORY Good luck with the search
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
jljfstar

We bought a 2014 Premier 30RE Last April, one of the first ones out. My TV at the time was a 2012 GMC 1/2 Ton with all the bells, HD towing, a blue ox hitch. I thought it would be ok but the trailer is 34ft 11in which is a little shorter than your trailer. I'll tell you its no fun with any kind of wind and when trucks go by just hold on. We had to upgrade after 4 trips. we now have a 2013 1 ton long bed and no problems at all. You had better get a smaller trailer or a bigger truck. The Premier is very nice, get a bigger truck if you can.
jljfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
RGene7001

Expect to climb interstate grades in second gear with the amount of power you have. Both truck and trailer would be too heavy. 5.7l with six speeds would do much better. I would be looking for a TT with 5000 lb of empty weight, like my 2650.
BTW, even with smaller trailer, your tires look very high profile and soft with just 33psi off pressure, which is an invitation for sway to come.
Just my $ 0.02

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #10
canadianboy

I saw you would be a little heavy with that engine, I have the crew max that has the 5.7L and tow 10600pounds... I have the Bullet 32BHPR and sure the trucks haus it fine, but you also watch the fuel go down with it. Toyota can also tow more that what it is rated... I read it today on the tundratalk site but cant remember the full details
canadianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianboy View Post
Toyota can also tow more that what it is rated... I read it today on the tundratalk site but cant remember the full details
How did you determine that your Toyota hauls the Bullet 32BPR " just fine." What weights/figures did you use in your calculations to arrive at that conclusion? What/who is the source of a "Toyota can also tow more than what it is rated."? Does this statement come from a member of the Tundratalk forum who is offering an opinion or ??????
Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 PM   #12
canadianboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I'd be interested in seeing the figures that you used in your calculations to determine that your Toyota hauls the Bullet 32BPR " just fine."
I dont have all the numbers due to me not be home, but the weight on the sticker of the TT delivered was rated at 6300 LBS, when I weighed the unit on the scales it was 6150LBS, the total weight of the unit full with water, propane and gear is maxed out at 7500LBS, and the closest I have ever came to that was 6900 so far. I belive my tongue weight was around 700lbs, but I would have to double check that... the only problem is the fuel, but I am not going to by a diesel to use for 5 months of the year, that is a waste of money for me right now... And I am new to this, so when spring time goes I will be going across the scales again, cause as the camping season went I added new gear to the units.
canadianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 AM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

Thanks for supplying the weights that you used in your calculations. The missing and one of the most important part of the equation is the curb weight of the truck. That would include passengers and fuel. Until the TV is weighed, its payload/capacity really can't be accurately determined.
Glad to hear that you will weigh everything in the Spring and only after you do this, can you really tell whether or not you are within the truck's towing limits. As you indicated, the Toyota may be able to pull it but can it pull it safely? That, IMO, remains to be seen.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #14
SandMShall

I took my truck to the scales this morning and it comes in at 5620lbs with a full tank of gas but no passengers. I'll add an additional 650lbs for our family of four and the total is 6270lbs.

I've been stressing over the TT size for several days and we've narrowed it down to a smaller TT. We're now looking at the Premier 22rbpr. Shipping weight is 4638lbs and it's length is 25'6". We have an RV show very near to us in a couple weeks that were really looking forward to so that we can get a longer look at all the models in our range.

Does everyone think I'm in the ballpark of choosing a good match for our TV?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMShall View Post
I took my truck to the scales this morning and it comes in at 5620lbs with a full tank of gas but no passengers. I'll add an additional 650lbs for our family of four and the total is 6270lbs.

I've been stressing over the TT size for several days and we've narrowed it down to a smaller TT. We're now looking at the Premier 22rbpr. Shipping weight is 4638lbs and it's length is 25'6". We have an RV show very near to us in a couple weeks that were really looking forward to so that we can get a longer look at all the models in our range.

Does everyone think I'm in the ballpark of choosing a good match for our TV?

You are getting much closer, but let's take your actual weight and go from there. You say the truck with full fuel is 5620. To that you need to add your family (650 lbs) and the total is 6270 lbs. That leaves 630 lbs for truck bed cargo, hitch and trailer hitch weight. (Don't forget that you're going to be adding about 100 lbs when you stick a weight distributing hitch on the tongue of the trailer. So, from that 630 lb "remainder", subtract 100 lbs for the hitch and you're left with about 530 lbs. The Premier 22RBPR lists an empty tongue weight of 500 lbs. Add propane and battery to that and you're looking at closer to 600 lbs (60 lbs propane and 40 lb battery). That's before any cargo. So, already you're getting into the "too heavy" category and you haven't put anything in the trailer yet, no food, clothing, bedding, camping gear, toys, games, bikes, etc.

It's real easy to "think this one is light enough" and visualize the "extra 630 lbs comparing it to the 500 lb advertised tongue weight of that RV. Actually, that RV has a "loaded for camping" tongue weight closer to 700 lbs. (and you still haven't got anything in the truck to occupy the family while travelling and nothing in the bed (firewood, generator, bikes, grill, fishing equipment, lawn furniture, chocks, etc). Don't fall "prey" to going to that RV show and seeing something "really REALLY nice" and thinking, "we're OK with 500 lbs, so this is only 625 lbs, it's not that much more." That kind of thinking can get you into needing a bigger tow vehicle and you've already said that's out of the question...... You need to stay with a "LOADED tongue weight" of about 450 to 500 lbs maximum. The easiest way to estimate the loaded tongue weight is to take the trailer GVW. (empty weight plus carrying capacity) and expect the tongue to weight about 11% to 13% of that.

Using that estimating formula, the 22RBPR would be 4638 + 1862 = 6500 x 11% = 715 lbs (lightest expected tongue weight) and x 13% = 845 lbs (heaviest expected tongue weight)

As you can see, even the 22RBPR is pushing the very top limits of your truck. Depending on how you load your truck bed with camping gear/toys for the kids, you can really be overloaded even with this model RV. Don't go to the show thinking, "well, if it's just a little bigger....." You'll definitely be overloaded for sure !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #16
SAABDOCTOR

YOU CAN DRIVE FASTER THAN THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT.... BUT THAT IS ILLEGAL TOO! Just my opinnion some will be different. sorry about the caps wasn't yelling, really.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #17
SandMShall

I'm not too concerned with what's legal as I am what's safe for my family. What gets me is I've seen several different advertisements that will show these smaller end trailers being pulled by mini-vans and the such. If my truck is on the very edge of being able to tow this TT how can a manufacturer show these ads without any type of responsibility? I understand that's it's up to the buyer to do their homework, but this seems to be on the misleading side.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I'm not too concerned with what's legal as I am what's safe for my family. What gets me is I've seen several different advertisements that will show these smaller end trailers being pulled by mini-vans and the such. If my truck is on the very edge of being able to tow this TT how can a manufacturer show these ads without any type of responsibility? I understand that's it's up to the buyer to do their homework, but this seems to be on the misleading side.

Members of this (and many other forums) ask this same question daily. It's sort of like the vacation advertisements that promise sunny skies and calm beachfronts every day of the year. We all know that sooner or later, it's got to rain and what about hurricanes? But the marketers keep promising what sells regardless of "reality".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #19
Javi

Quote:

If you notice the ads are usually prefaced with the wording PROPERLY EQUIPTED

I've had a manufacturer's rep tell me that I could easily tow a large Brookstone 5th wheel which had a pin weight of over 3800 lbs with my F250 as listed in my signature.. then when I disputed that based not only on the documented payload figures on my B-pillar but on my tire capacity as well, he offered this advice... None of that really means anything; all that counts is the motor and your diesel will pull anything you can hook on to.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #20
Festus2
Site Team

I can understand your frustration in trying to ensure that you have a safe towing combination for you and your family. RV manufacturers and RV salesmen are both in the business to sell RV's and make money. That's what they do and I'm not sure what, if any, responsibility or interest they take to make sure that the RV that they have just sold is a good and safe match for your TV.

The ads you hear or see are there for one reason - to get you to buy their product. Are they misleading or deceptive? Don't you believe everything you hear or read?