Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

Nope. Never.
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Wife's not much to look at but my dog sure is hot but no one gets to borrow her!

10 suggestive characters
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
Trent McCain

I would most likely say no but, if it's a close friend that has the respect, knowledge of operations, and financial resources to repair if damaged, then I'd consider it. I have friends that'd I'd trust with anything I own, and I have acquaintances, I won't trust with anything! My neighbor needed to haul a load of sod home, I offered my F350..."it's in the building if you need it, you're welcome to it." The next day I go over to help him lay sod and there's a rough old Chevy on the trailer load of sod. He said "I was really tempted to take you up on your offer, but then I figured I'd have to wash it, and I didn't want to take a chance on something happening to it" Everyone knows I take excellent care of my equipment One of my wife's friends (we'll call them an acquaintance) needed a wheelbarrow to clean up around their house I said no problem. They threw concrete pieces in it and broke the plastic tub. They haven't repaired the old one, or brought a new one by to replace it. Now I admit it's a $50 wheelbarrow, I had bought it for a project, it was like new, and for the few times I need it a year, it worked fine. I learned my lesson. I agree that sometimes it's better to say no and not risk losing a close friend....but if they would/could not be responsible for their actions, then they might not be that close of friend anyways. I'm good at lending, but not at borrowing. If I need something that bad I usually end up finding a way to own it, being young at 37, I figure I'll use it more than once in my lifetime anyways. Tough call on that one, if there is any doubt, better safe to say no.

Trent
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #24
schwalbach

many years ago My buddy called me because his brother wanted to borrow his trailer for trip out west, I advised him against it, but said if his back was to the wall and he felt he should lend it to him he should at least be sure it was insured. He felt compelled to lend it, so I advised to have his brother pay for the insurance as my buddy normally did not insure it.

Long story short he got from Wisconsin to Cheyenne Wyoming and caught a cross wind and rolled the truck and trailer over and totaled them both out. Nothing left of either, rolled several times through the median.

His brother brought him 2 seat cushions and the gas tank, left all the dishes, tools etc. from the compartments in the salvage yard. Insurance paid up but to this day 5 years later he still complains when we camp (he got a different trailer) that he wish's he still had this that or the other thing that he lost when he loaned the trailer. By the way he has never lent out his trailer again!

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Trent,

Being "young" at 37 and thinking you'll probably need it again before you get "old" is a logical way to go about borrowing vs buying. I'm 66 and feel the same way. I "might not" need it before I'm too old to use it, but if I ever do, if I can find it, it's going to be in the pole barn somewhere.... If it's too expensive to buy (like a post hole digger for my tractor) the RentAll place in town has one for less than the price of a threatened friendship.

I'd rather "owe RentAll" than "owe a friend"

I like your way of thinking.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #26
Trent McCain

I just hope I don't need a wheelbarrow for awhile! LOL! I figure if I own it and take care of it...it'll last as long as I need it and then I can pass it on to the kids. I also figure if I don't have the experience/knowledge to own a piece of equipment (regardless of what it is) I usually know someone that has both, so I pay them to help me. I win, as I don't end up with something I don't know how to use, and they don't end up with a damaged piece of equipment! Man must know his limitations!
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #27
fla-gypsy

No way, no time, no how for friend or family.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #28
Sherwood

No. Imagine if damage was done to the point that insurance was needed. Is the borrower going to not only pay the deductible but the increased premiums that comes after a claim? Not to mention all the previous poster's points.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #29
Mark TC

No, I have had the brother in law hint and I stopped him in his tracks. Told him he could not afford the gas.he is always borrowing something and never brings hi back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #30
PT RV`er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Wife's not much to look at but my dog sure is hot but no one gets to borrow her!
That's funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark TC View Post
No, I have had the brother in law hint and I stopped him in his tracks. Told him he could not afford the gas.he is always borrowing something and never brings hi back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Now that you mention that, he does borrow things on occasion and doesn`t bring them back. I started keeping a list of items that he`s borrowed that he still has. A few items I just gave up on getting back.
As far as the legality part of lending the rig out, I now have a better understanding if something were to happen while in his possession. I can only imagine what an ambulance chasing lawyer would do if there was an accident. After all the great responses, it`s best that next time he brings it up, we`ll have to have a sit down over a cold beer and get real about it.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #31
GaryWT

Most likely no, the one person I would say yes to has his own so he would not ask. Loaned a pop up once but the friend was thinking of buying it and was camping with us so it worked out.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #32
Albert

There are a couple of friends I would loan anything I have. They take better care of things than I do. We have loaned our RV and truck to our kids on several occasions.

We loan things to the kids knowing full well accidents can happen. However, the joy of seeing them take their children camping is well worth the risk of loaning it out. We also enjoy taking the grand kids camping with us on occasion.

Happy camping.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #33
FullTimer

Lol, my sister loaned her 5th out once. Had to go get it after 5 months and when she got it back, the carpet was trashed and it was full of beer cans. So I learned from her mistakes lol, that's a NO.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #34
Ken / Claudia

I say NO as the answer to that question. Not to use for vacations. I will say yes to afew close friends and family for emergency use. That is if needed due to loss of home or need to stay near other loved ones in emergencys. I would drive to the site make sure the trailer is set up and the person knows how to use it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #35
2011 keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Is your wife attractive?

LOL Thats funny
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #36
fred1609

No.....neither a borrower or a lender be.......great way to loose a friendship I think.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #37
ocbms

Been there, Done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I say NO as the answer to that question. Not to use for vacations. I will say yes to afew close friends and family for emergency use. That is if needed due to loss of home or need to stay near other loved ones in emergencys. I would drive to the site make sure the trailer is set up and the person knows how to use it.
That's an AMEN.
On a previous little (14 feet) CC, I pulled up to 180 miles to help a friend with wife and 3 small children. I helped others, but always pulled and parked. I would do the same with my 37' FW but shorter durations.
ocbms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #38
KanTC

If simply a friend/acquaintance wanting to *get-away/travel* & use our RV, then "NO!"... far too much at stake.

A close friend/family member *in need* (health emergency/crisis/fire, etc), is a very different circumstance,
and in that case we'd deliver the 5th wheel.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #39
Jca3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT RV`er View Post
I`ve got a friend of mine who on occasion will ask if he can borrow my rig. He`s always talking about how he would love to take his wife to this park or that park. He has owned a pop-up in the past but now has adult kids and grand kids living close to home so he`s a little stretched on money. We always talk about our past camping experiences and where he would like to take his wife to get away from the kids. He has a truck that can pull an RV but it`s not set up like mine. We have our guys fishing weekends twice a year that he`s a part of so I guess this is where he`s getting the idea of borrowing my rig.
I sort of keep staying away from the subject but it always seems to come up.
So, what would you do?
Absolutely not. If something breaks I want to be the one to break it. I don't even like people staying in it when it's parked beside the house. We had our mirror broken on the closet doors.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #40
Steve S

It's only a materialistic possession, it's not like it's your first born!
If I was so worried about someone borrowing something and breaking it by mistake I think I would spend a few bucks on a front gate and razor wire around my property.
Things happen in life and worrying about possessions would make me grow old fast!
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote