Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
jhomuth7

Repacking bearings on Passport 2910BH?

We've had our Passport 2910BH for a year now, and we're getting ready for a big trip after Thanksgiving. This is our second trailer with EZ Lube bearings; with our last trailer, we followed Dexter's recommendations on just shooting grease through the zerk fitting (not sure if I spelled that right...) until clean grease comes out. I've been reading more and more about how even though this is "acceptable", many people still prefer to repack the bearings and that's the route we'd like to take.

I am aware that we will have to purchase new seals. Are there any other parts to the bearings that will also need to be replaced during the process? My husband contacted someone at Dexter and when he replied via email with our seal model numbers, he didn't indicate that there were any other parts that would need to be replaced. I would just hate for my husband to get the trailer jacked up, and get into the thick of it, only to realize we don't have all that we need. He is pretty sure it's just the seals, but I wanted to double check here before he starts.

Thanks!

Jessica

2013 Passport 2910BH
2001 Chevy Suburban 2500
jhomuth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Assuming the bearings are good and the cotter pins can be reused, no there's nothing else you need except seals, a good 2x4 and a rubber hammer to install them and some patience to sit, bending over, cleaning and relubing the bearings and inspecting the hubs/brakes for serviceability.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
muddynoll

We went from Pgh to Orlando after thanksgiving last year. I just pumped grease into the zerk fitting until grease came back out. I've never had a problem with the ezlube hubs. The bearings held up fine.
2004 F350,CCLB SRW 6.0Powerstroke, 4.30 Gears, Curt 1,500 Lb. Hitch with sway control *2017 Fuzion Impact 312, Sailun S637 Tires 2011 Passport 2910 BH, 2006 Jayco 232, 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L, ReeseDualCam, Prodigy P3
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddynoll View Post
We went from Pgh to Orlando after thanksgiving last year. I just pumped grease into the zerk fitting until grease came back out. I've never had a problem with the ezlube hubs. The bearings held up fine.
If you simply pumped grease into the zerks on the ezlube hubs, you may have damaged a seal.

The instructions state to jack the wheel off the ground, slowly turn the wheel while using a hand operated grease gun to slowly insert grease until all the old grease is expelled and new grease begins to show at the weep ports near the zerk fitting. The reason to roatate the hub while lubing it is to keep the grease moving through the bearings and prevent it from building up behind the bearing and forcing its way out the rear of the hub at the seal.

Dexter gives instructions on how to lube the bearings using the ezlube system, and they also state that the hubs, brakes and bearings should be visually inspected annually. So, it's sort of "self defeating" to use the ezlube annually and have to take them down to inspect the components anyway.

I also use the ezlube fittings, I think they are a quick way to change the grease in the hubs, but they really don't cut down on the Dexter recommended maintenance and if you don't lube them properly, they most likely will damage your seals.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
jhomuth7

Thanks for the replies and the help. John, damaging a seal is what I'm worried about, and I also would want my husband to inspect them, so I figure he may as well repack them. We have 5 kids and take a 3 week 2500-3000 mile trip annually, so I like to have all my ducks in a row as far as towing goes, especially with such a long trailer. This really isn't much work for someone handy like my husband, and may avoid trouble down the line. Thanks again.

Jessica

2013 Passport 2910BH
2001 Chevy Suburban 2500
Old 10-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

You're welcome, Jessica. You're in Cedar Hill, so you've got a few more days of "warm weather" before the rains and sleet start. One thing to think seriously about if you do use the ezlubes, only do it on a warm day after letting the grease gun, the hubs and the grease tubes sit in the sun and get warm and thin before you start shooting it into the hubs. The thicker the grease (cold weather) the harder it is to press through the bearings so the more pressure it will build up behind the bearing as it forces its way out of the seal......

Oh, and if you're going to put your DH on the ground repacking bearings and inspecting hubs, don't forget to bring him a cool one once in a while <wink>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
jtyphoid

I always put in new cotter pins. I view it as cheap insurance against a wheel coming off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
hankaye

jhomuth7, Howdy;

It never hurts to have some 'spare parts' for emergencies.
I keep 2 sets of bearings with races and seals handy. Never
know when one will come out rusty or worn and need replaced.
I also like to replace the cotter pins when I do the bearings.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
jtyphoid

If your husband hasn't done this before, he'll also need solvent and a tub to clean the old grease out of the bearings, lint free rags or low pressure compressed air to dry the bearings, wheel bearing grease to pack the bearings, brake cleaner spray to clean the brake pads and backing plate, and I like to use rubber gloves to keep my hands a bit cleaner.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #10
gearhead

Here is the Dexter manual. Just be sure your axle rating is included in this link.
Be careful using compressed air to clean bearings. Don't let the bearing spin when it is dry.
http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/614960...anual_3-13.pdf
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #11
Javi

About $150 including new seals & a half day in the shop... no fuss no muss

I used to do this sort of thing for a living, now I let someone else make a living doing it for me.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
muddynoll

I did spin the wheel as I pumped the grease in. Not my first rodeo. I pull the drums every spring to check the breaks for inspection, and the seals are fine. No grease on the breaks or pushing past the seals. The ezlube hubs have worked as intended for me. No problems.
2004 F350,CCLB SRW 6.0Powerstroke, 4.30 Gears, Curt 1,500 Lb. Hitch with sway control *2017 Fuzion Impact 312, Sailun S637 Tires 2011 Passport 2910 BH, 2006 Jayco 232, 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L, ReeseDualCam, Prodigy P3
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
jhomuth7

Wow, lots of great info here.

Thanks for those who mentioned they replaced the cotter pins. I'll mention that to him as well. They are plenty cheap enough. Got a few other things coming up that we have to pay for, so we'll have to wait if we want to get spare sets of bearings/races, but that's a good idea as well.

jtyphoid, he repacked the bearings in our first trailer, so he has what he needs. It would be nice if he'd use rubber gloves, but he doesn't like them. Sure would keep our kitchen sink and counters cleaner if he did! He does all of our car repairs so he is used to having dirty hands...he's my unpaid mechanic lol.

John, good thing to keep in mind about the warmer weather being better for using the zerk fittings. Thanks for mentioning that. He probably knows that, but it's not something I would have thought of. He'll be doing the bearings out at the storage place, so unfortunately he'll have to wait until he gets home to have his cold ones!

Javi, I'd love to be able to pawn this off on a shop! But we're single income with 5 kids and so we do as much as we can ourselves to save $$. Plus we're only in our 30's, so not as big a deal physically for him to do it. I know he'd love to not have to do it though lol.

Jessica

2013 Passport 2910BH
2001 Chevy Suburban 2500
Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
audio1der

GREAT Thread; this sort of info should be stickied. Even our run-through with the dealer didn't bother to mention jacking up the trailer and rotating the hub/wheel while greasing.
page 57 of the service manual says it all- THANK YOU all for the info!
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote