Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Barry

Winterizing questions.

Ok, I have my camper set up full time at a lake community. They are calling for Thursday to be 51, then down to 25 that night, then back up to 54 Friday. And after that, above freezing temps for the next week. Now, Im thinking, it will be fine for just the one night. But wanted to be sure. What do you guys think?

Also, I went on Keystones website and watched the video on how to winterize, but I still have a question. Once I hook up the air line to the garden hose fitting of the camper, should I open all the water valves at the same time? Or just open one, then close it, then go to the next one?

Ok, one more question. Why should I drain the hot water tank? I know it wouldn't hurt to drain it just to remove any build up, but as far as winterizing. If I blow out the lines, wouldn't that blow out the water heater as well?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
diugo
Permanent User Ban

I too think you'll be fine Thursday night.

The purpose of blowing air through the lines is to try to get as much residual water out as possible. So you want to do just one valve at a time, so that the air attains maximum velocity.

The water tank's plug/anode is usually located below the inlet/outlet lines, suggesting that some water would remain in the bottom of the tank if it were not drained through the plug.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
TAZ23

1) You will be fine at those temps.

2) Make sure you set the regulator to about 35 psi or so. the lines are not built to with stand 150 psi and you may rupture something with to much air. I let the water out of each faucet one at a time and then redo each one until no more water is comming out. dont forget the toilet and outside water faucets. (sink and /or shower), and black tank flush. Also according to Keystones manual you should run the water pump for about 30 sec. to expell any water that is left in the pump. There is a section in the owners manual that covers what to do when winterizing , both wet and dry methods.

3) I dont know if all the water would come out of the water heater with just the air method , but its much easier to pull plug and let water drain instead of trying to blow 6 gallons of water through the lines.)
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Barry

1) That's what I was thinking too, just wanted to be sure.

2) I was also thinking the same thing here, again, just wanted to be sure.

3) You'll got me on this one. I didn't think about the plug being so low. Ill drain it just to be safe.

Thanks for the help!!!