Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
byrdr1

Counter Top repair

Hey all, most of you know what happened to my kitchen counter top back in the late winter on 327RES. We wont discuss that here but after months of dealing and messing I finally was able to get a new counter top and sink for my repair/replacement of same.
Well the new counter top was packed very well from the factory to my dealer. It was packed so well they charged me $50.00 for the crate and packing it. freight was extra but worth it.
I got my counter top home took me around a hour to unpack it, they used thousands of staples to close the box, serious on this matter. I decided I would see what I needed to install it and what I needed to get the old one out. Well lets say all my well laid plans when south real quick. First off the old counter is stapled(crown molding staples) all around the top, the sink is pain to get unhooked from the water lines. They used LOTS and LOTS of staples to hold it down. Once I got it loose from around all the edges, I could never get it to lift up. I forgot to take pictures by the way. The counter top is stapled straight up on all edges but the back one where it stapled in from the sides. and this side is the one that goes under the stove counter top in 327RES. BUT the real thing was getting the 2 silverware drawers out. got them out but the frame for holding them up/in place was stapled in from the bottom to the top underside of the counter top. Well after tearing out the drawer supports and related hardware I was able to remove the counter from its normal resting place. Did I tell you they used LOTS of staples to hold the counter top in place if not a reminder is here, THEY USE LOTS OF STAPLES to hold it in place..
I figured I have around 5-6 hours of demolition at this point of time. I was trying to be easy and finally easy was just getting it done. BUT once I got it out I removed the old sink so I can use it in my shop, nice shape other than the burn mark. I had to rebuild the drawer supports, I have a radial arm saw so this made my cuts nice and straight and used my brad nailer to secure all joints together with wood glue. Once I had made two, back to the camper I go. I was lucky that the trim molding was in the right place to secure the bottom drawer guides without any exposed sheet rock screws. the Top drawer guide was build the same as the bottom but would not work as I just did not want to have exposed screws plus the placement of this would be in the 1/4" paneling so no support at all. I finally with my wifes guidance was able to get that one installed with screws and brad nails into the proper placement. All is secure and nothing is attached to counter top but the sink now. I have reinstalled the sink and the plumbing. BUT now I am at a point of how do I secure it back down to the cabinet base. I could use crown staples again but don't want to secure that way if I ever needed to get it out again. Thinking toward angle brackets at key points around the base. using smaller screws and one inch angle brackets. It sits level and there is no play in the new counter top it was a perfect match to the one removed. The wife wants me to cut the one side of the old counter top and make a cover for the stove top. Which is what I planned to do but now its her idea! So up to this point, 10pm last night I have around 8 hours of labor in this project. not counting the time I had in the building with saw and nail guns. The dealer had figured it would take him at least 4 hours but he had never done one before so I said I'll do it myself. saved the bucks but gosh what a headache I have had for the last 3-4 nights. Got to get it all done before next trip out, mid September. I think I can finish by then. BUT so you know if you have any problems with a counter top in your camper it is areal booger to get that thing and reinstalled. Also all the cabinet wood is press board covered with some vinyl tape/sheet type stuff except doors, there was some real wood here and there but over all it is build out of press wood and I understand the weight issues. I would do this project all over again to save me the labor cost at a dealer and I understand the cabinet work a whole lot better now. I 'll try and post finished photos but I really just got busy and forgot to take pictures as I was working on it.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote