Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
aerofarm

Dometic AC Unit

Took the first camping trip with the Cougar. It got up to 90 degrees so we decided to turn on the AC. It worked great on high, but was pretty loud in the main area of the camper. After we got it cooled down, I turned the AC to low. The compressor was still running but the fan was not. After a few minutes the breaker flipped.

Talked to a couple service places. They weren't sure what it is without looking at it, but the earliest they can get it in is the end of may.

Any ideas for a quick and easy fix, or is changing a fan motor easy. I'm somewhat mechanical.

Thanks,

Nate
aerofarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
justlkn

I would pull the thermostat and see if low fan speed power wire could be disconnected.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
smiller

Yes, if it is a new unit and you have never used the A/C on 'low' before (and assuming that the problem only occurs with the switch in the 'low' position) then I would consider a factory mis-wiring as a likely cause, or at least eliminate that before I went anywhere else. Should be easy to diagnose by just swapping the high and low wires in the thermostat.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
RVbear

Dometic AC problem

Many Dometic thermostats will run the fan at high speed if the difference between actual temperature and setpoint is 5 degrees or greater. Try setting the temperature to 2 or 3 degrees below actual temperature and see if the fan will run in low speed. To see actual temperature, press the + or - buttons on the thermostat with the unit OFF.
RVbear is offline   Reply With Quote