Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
suza

High pitched buzzing from propane tank

We recently experienced a high pitched sound coming from the front of our Cougar 5th wheel. Afraid that it was something in the electrical system, we searched for the source and found it to be coming from the propane system. It would start up when there was a draw on the propane and get louder as the demand increased.

We were camping less than an hour away from our dealer, so called to see if it was serious. Tech said it is not uncommon for this to happen when there is a load on the system and not to worry, the propane system should not fail and it wasn't going to blow up, which was my concern

Since we are taking off in a few days for a 10 day trip, we stopped at the dealers on the way home. They were busy, but the tech kindly took time to help us ( for our service dept). He said it is the diaphragm in the regulator that makes the noise. He checked it out and agreed it was loud enough to be pretty annoying. It is only the regulator from the secondary (driver's side) tank, so we could easily swap the tanks if tank 1 was empty, and run off the primary position. The noise is only present when the secondary tank is turned on. This is the first time we have heard the sound as we have never run the primary tank dry.

He assured me everything would run fine. When we return from our trip they will replace the "noisy" regulator with a new one and see if that eliminates the noise. Our RV is only 4 mos old, so it will be a warranty repair

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Did you have the regulator replaced and did it resolve the problem?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Roller4Tan

I had the same issue when the furnace ran, from either tank. I replaced the hose connectors (tank to high pressure regulator and tank to changeover regulator) and mine stopped squealing. I also eventually changed the auto change over regulator because it started a slow leak from the diaphragm relief port. I did a lot of research on the web, as annoying as it was, found out it is normal to some extent, but I wanted to eliminate it. Unfortunately for me, it was out of warranty. Wasn't too expensive tho'.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller4Tan View Post
I had the same issue when the furnace ran, from either tank. I replaced the hose connectors (tank to high pressure regulator and tank to changeover regulator) and mine stopped squealing. I also eventually changed the auto change over regulator because it started a slow leak from the diaphragm relief port. I did a lot of research on the web, as annoying as it was, found out it is normal to some extent, but I wanted to eliminate it. Unfortunately for me, it was out of warranty. Wasn't too expensive tho'.
Thanks for your input. And, I will pass this info on to our dealer. I hope our annoying sound is eliminated, as well.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
ziggyga

Also check the mounting of the propane pipe that runs across the front storage compartment from the secondary tank to the primary tank. On my Cougar I found that the way the pipe was mounted/suspended caused it to be touching a sheet metal partition. this caused the bussing sound to be magnified considerably.
I adjusted the pipe hangers so the pipe did not touch any sheet metal dividers and now the buzzing is almost unnoticeable in the front storage compartment and can not be heard at all from inside the camper
Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Roller4Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyga View Post
I adjusted the pipe hangers so the pipe did not touch any sheet metal dividers and now the buzzing is almost unnoticeable in the front storage compartment and can not be heard at all from inside the camper
X2, I did that,too. Forgot about that CRS
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
GMcKenzie

My home BBQ does this when it is hot outside. Unless the noise is really loud, it's not an issue. Still perfectly safe.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyga View Post
Also check the mounting of the propane pipe that runs across the front storage compartment from the secondary tank to the primary tank. On my Cougar I found that the way the pipe was mounted/suspended caused it to be touching a sheet metal partition. this caused the bussing sound to be magnified considerably.
Thanks for this bit of info. We will try this first, before having the regulator replaced.

Thanks, to everyone for your suggestions.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS