Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
samahi72

Where can I get an owners manual?

Yesterday we bought a 2003 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. The model is 285. I need to find a manual for it so I can learn how to operate it correctly? Is there a place on Keystones site to get it? Thank you
samahi72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
CWtheMan

Here is the 2013 generic edition. It should help some.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/7289...al_4-25-13.pdf

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You can download the Keystone Owner's Manual here:

http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s.../owners-manual

the closest you'll get to your RV is the 2009 version.

As for the appliances and support sytems, you'll need to get the manufacturer, model and year of each individual appliance and component, do a google search for the appliance owner's manual and download each one individually.

You won't find many of the manuals for a 2003 model, but you should find the newer manuals will give you much and possibly all the information you'll need to maintain and operate the RV systems.

Good luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

samahi72 -
If you go to Keystone's website (www.keystonerv.com) and click on Customer Service (at the top) and finally on Owner's Manual, you will find some recent manuals that you can download. Unfortunately, they don't go back as far as 2003. The "oldest" one I could find is for 2009.
But this is not all bad. The manuals are all generic and Keystone only publishes one manual for all of their models. It is quite generic and won't give instructions on how to operate all of your systems of your Cougar. It does give you guidelines and instructions about tires, slides, winterizing, etc., but nothing specific. You'll find these and other areas in the recent editions too.
If you have manuals for your appliances and other major items, then I would browse through those to find out about their operation.

If you are still stuck, come back on here and ask some specific questions so we can help you with those areas that are causing you some difficulty.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
samahi72

thank you

Thank you, that is what I was afraid of. The previous owner did give me on of the generic manuals and while it does have some good information I was looking for the specifics on this year and model. That was a good idea about looking up the manuals for the specific items, i.e. refrigerator, heater, air cond. etc.

I hope you don't mind all of my newbie postings, I have a lot to learn about this unit.
samahi72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
suza

Our new Cougar came with a Keystone manual. As stated, it's pretty "generic" and not real helpful. It amazed me that a company which prides itself in producing great RVs would include such mediocre manuals.

Operating manuals for appliances, etc are your best bet.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

suza -
When you think about it, it's not too amazing that Keystone's Owners' Manuals are generic and not particularly informative or helpful for a new owner. In order to produce something that would be specific, useful and practical, it would require time and effort. Those two items cost money and the bean counters at Keystone would not be happy campers seeing their profit margin decrease.

The solution? Provide a single document - "one size fits all" - manual. Keystone's manual is probably interchangeable with Forest River's manual...... just change the name and it is basically the same document. It's much less costly to produce - keeping the company in black.
It's not about pride it's about profit.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
suza -
When you think about it, it's not too amazing that Keystone's Owners' Manuals are generic and not particularly informative or helpful for a new owner. In order to produce something that would be specific, useful and practical, it would require time and effort. Those two items cost money and the bean counters at Keystone would not be happy campers seeing their profit margin decrease.

The solution? Provide a single document - "one size fits all" - manual. Keystone's manual is probably interchangeable with Forest River's manual...... just change the name and it is basically the same document. It's much less costly to produce - keeping the company in black.
It's not about pride it's about profit.
Sad, but I say, if the bean counters had anything to do with it the manual would be detailed to the point of absurdity. I'm a bean counter, myself, so I know how anal and detail oriented they can be

It seems they could create a PDF manual . . . . . wouldn't have to print, easy to customize, update, etc. Contract this out to one of our experienced, savvy Forum members (no employee benefits to pay ). A good manual could pay for itself by reducing the number of customer complaints and negative PR that result from owner ignorance and operator error. Customer satisfaction is just as valuable as product quality and reliability.

Vehicles, lawnmowers, electronics, appliances . . . . . . . nearly everything we purchase for personal use, comes with detailed, unit specific instructions (pictures included). Why should RVs be any different? Perhaps this is why some automakers went under?

BTW: Our dealer actually created and included a supplemental manual with our purchase. Now I understand why.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote