Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
Fastback

Stripped out screws

So I have been working on the 01 Laredo and am not getting close to the shakedown trip. However, I do have a question relative to the screw holes in the fiberglass siding. In some places the screw holes are oversize and will not hold the screws. In some locations I have been able to relocate the holes, but now I am working on the outside fender wells these screws need to be in the same location.

Anyone have any suggestions on filling the holes and starting a hole again? I was thinking about trying an epoxy glue and let it harden and try again.

Any thoughts?
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Jim W

This is a wood workers trick that might work in your case. I would buy some outdoor expoy or Titlebond III wood glue. Use this and some wooden farmer matches placing these two components in the oversize holes. Then when dry screw in the sheet metal screw using a screw driver and not an electrical driver to fasten the cover to the fiberglass walls.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
Badboy

Toothpicks work well to
Old 06-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Bob Landry

These are just sheet metal screws. Go up to the next size and when you install, hand tighten them, don't try to use a power screwdriver. Another solution is, if you can reach behind where the screws are going to be placed, use a machine sew with a nylon lox-nut.
Also, if you are going into fiberglass, chamfer around the hole. This cuts the gelcoat away from contacting the screw threads and prevents spider cracking around the hole.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You should be able to find a flexible plastic strip (white plexiglass would work) about 1" wide and use it as a "cover" for the entire edge of the fender flare. Just start at one end, install a screw with a good size washer and nut on the back side, then use a heat gun to curve the strip along the flare to the next hole, drill and use another screw, keep going to the other end.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Fastback

I do not believe that you can put anything behind because this is sandwich construction the only thing that holds the screw is the fiberglass coat the foam really does nothing.

I am also a woodworker and I did not think that the match trick would work, but I am willing to give it a try. These holes seem to be very weak. If I can't do it the matches I'll try the larger (#10) screws.

Thanks for the help and advice.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastback View Post
I do not believe that you can put anything behind because this is sandwich construction the only thing that holds the screw is the fiberglass coat the foam really does nothing.

I am also a woodworker and I did not think that the match trick would work, but I am willing to give it a try. These holes seem to be very weak. If I can't do it the matches I'll try the larger (#10) screws.

Thanks for the help and advice.
Just one thing if you do the woodworking trick, make sure you get the glue that is rated for exterior use. Made that mistake myself and ended up having to redo a woodworking project a year later because the glue I used wasn't rated for outdoor use and broke down. Here is another option which works good for fiberglass repair. Take and bevel the holes that are to large and then take some sandpaper (120 grit will work) and sand the area around each hole enough to rough up the area and take the shine off. Take some fiberglass resin (can be found in any auto parts store) and fill each hole using your mixing stick making sure you spread out into the sanded area. After letting it dry take your 120 grit sandpaper again to level out the resin and finish with 220 grit. If wheel well will cover the repaired area there is no reason you would need to paint but if repair extends beyond the wheel well just paint area to match. Good luck with your repair! I'm sure one of these tricks will work for you.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Fastback

Well I ended out having more than one problem. It seems that the fiberglass is delaminated in this area so even with the holes repaired it tended to be sloppy. So this is what I decided to do. I first repaired the over size holes with wooden dowels and Gorilla epoxy, since the well cover does cover some of the siding I screwed some self taping screws close to the edge where the aluminum frame work is this brought the side in nice and tight. Once the epoxy was dry (24 hours) I reinstalled the fender well cover.

At some point I would like to replace the well cover, the existing one is not in great shape. I think this repair will be OK.