Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Bugle Boy

Data.....I have no data.......

I am still rather new to this forum given that Jan and I became owners of our first Keystone Cougar May 21st.

I believe also that this forum is a great place to share information, ask questions etc. just as the Sunline Forum was for our Sunline.

However, and I mean this in the kindest way, I see many posts asking about a problem and there is little information given regarding the issue. In the words of Mr. Sherlock Holmes....."I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

I spent much of my career dealing with "root cause analysis" and to be performed accurately one must have facts about what happened and that includes a history of the component, it's maintenance, age, use etc.

So if you have a problem or an issue it would be good to include a few facts about it so the thinkers here have somethng to think about before posting a "guess."
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
B&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugle Boy View Post
I am still rather new to this forum given that Jan and I became owners of our first Keystone Cougar May 21st.

I believe also that this forum is a great place to share information, ask questions etc. just as the Sunline Forum was for our Sunline.

However, and I mean this in the kindest way, I see many posts asking about a problem and there is little information given regarding the issue. In the words of Mr. Sherlock Holmes....."I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

I spent much of my career dealing with "root cause analysis" and to be performed accurately one must have facts about what happened and that includes a history of the component, it's maintenance, age, use etc.

So if you have a problem or an issue it would be good to include a few facts about it so the thinkers here have somethng to think about before posting a "guess."
While I agree in concept about what you are saying, and it would be great if everyone did that -- the reality is that sometimes the folks that are asking the questions do not know enough about the subject to know what relevant information to include.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Yep. This is why we encourage new members to use a complete signature so other members know what year, model, trailer and tow vehicle they have without asking for each post. Location can be very important also ... different answers for Florida or Ontario.
Those of us who have been rving for years take so much info we have learned for granted. I sure do wish there was a forum like this when I started. (computers that were much less capable than todays cellphones were as large as my stick home and water-cooled) We hopefully learned by our mistakes and still managed to enjoy ourselves. I still don't know if what I learned is correct, only that it works for me.
I consider the fact that folks are here asking questions and sharing their experience regardless of their experience level a huge step in the right direction. Reading an entire thread and then using your own common sense to choose what is credible is important also and Like Bugle Boy and B&T said ... (I think that is what they were trying to say)... If you don't ask the right question and supply enough background info you will not get the correct answer, only guesses. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
f6bits

This tickled an old memory:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

It's not trailer related, but it does hit some of the major issues when people ask questions.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
hankaye

BB, Howdy;

Having worked as an aircraft mechanic for over 25 years
(Active duty Military and as a contractor), trying to decipher
some of the 'Gripes' that were turned in was an exercise in
mental gymnastics ...
Learning how to ask questions of the person with the problem
is an important part of the process. Some problems are very much
self-evident and therefore don't require further questioning, merely
pointing the person to a previous solution with positive results (that's
why it's important to follow-up with the results).
Here on a forum there is a huge 'Collective' of experience and a lot
of Been There Done That here's what worked for me ... So, it's also
important for folks with problems to utilize the Search Option in the
header and why you may see some of us directing them to it.
Information IS knowledge, learning how to acquire it and how to
best apply it to any given situation is a skill set many have not yet
gained.
We only do what we can in each instance.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

So, years of talking to and interviewing people to whom I never met until that point was a difficult at times, some people speak english that I really don't understand. On here we have mostly older folks who are not very good with a computer and some folks live in areas that they drive on the left side of the road. Here a camper is what goes into the bed of a truck but, most refer to their 5th wheels and Travel Trailers as campers etc. I have given advice or opinion at times and find out terms or names of items they talk about means something different here. It is still a way to learn and help others. Refering someone to check the search button is a good thing, they learn how to reseach and maybe better state their question to get the proper answer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote