Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
jalexanderj

Outback - cargo door modification

Hi. I've got a 2008 28KRS. That's one with the toy-compartment in the front. There is a large cargo door on the side of the unit that serves as a ramp for your toys (eg, motorcycle, ATV). I want to use the area as a work-space instead of for toy-storage. As part of that, I'd like to attach a computer monitor to the toy-door. Does anyone have an idea of how the door is constructed?

I'm thinking I would attach 2x4s vertically to the door (to which I would then attach the monitor). To attach the 2x4, I'd use large lag screws (I think) into the metal rim. I wouldn't put a hole all the way through the door - into the metal rim (or even the base if it makes more sense). I'm tempted to just start drilling holes to see what I find, but thought I might see if anyone here has some experience or ideas.

Here are some pics. 1. Door from the outside. 2. Door from the inside. 3. Metal rim with me pointing where I think I'd attach the boards.

Thoughts?

Thanks very much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	2970   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	2971   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2972  
jalexanderj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
chuck&gail

We have a 2010 230RS, likely same door. We needed a STRONG point to try and pull on. Keystone gave me door manufacturers name. Called them. As I recall they said the inside of the door is just insulation. They recommended drilling THRU door and puting a 4" square metal plate on outside and inside. Did that, works just great, easily holds my body weight (over 200#).

Hope that helps. It was a simple 10 minute job (not including caulking around it).

Note dirt comes in UNDER the metal flap. Look under flap and there is a large empty space. The foam used on window A/Cs to seal double hung windows, about 3x3" as I recall, fits great, makes garage warmer, and REALLY keep it cleaner.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
jalexanderj

Thanks. That is very helpful. I had thought something like what you did was possible, but wanted to avoid marring the outside (and creating a potential for leakage).

Do you guys use the garage for cargo or have you converted it to some other use?

Did you drill through the door itself or the edge?

Do you recall how thick the inside surface material was (ie, whatever is under the non-skid surface material)? The door is a ramp, so there's got to be some sort of internal structure to hold the weight of motorcycles and people as they're loading and unloading. Probably it's something like 1/8" metal plating (maybe like the flap).

The large space you filled with foam is the one at the base of the door, right? I didn't think of insulating there - it's a good idea.
jalexanderj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
chuck&gail

Thanks. That is very helpful. I had thought something like what you did was possible, but wanted to avoid marring the outside (and creating a potential for leakage).

Do you guys use the garage for cargo or have you converted it to some other use?
### We are both handicapped, so we carry two handicap scooters in there, one of which is very large. We also had the bed removed by dealer before sale. I put closet rod side to side with a center support in place of bed. Makes a great closet.

Did you drill through the door itself or the edge?
### Drilled thru the door itself.

Do you recall how thick the inside surface material was (ie, whatever is under the non-skid surface material)? The door is a ramp, so there's got to be some sort of internal structure to hold the weight of motorcycles and people as they're loading and unloading. Probably it's something like 1/8" metal plating (maybe like the flap).
### Good question, sorry I do not recall. It made no difference to me so I didn't notice.

The large space you filled with foam is the one at the base of the door, right? I didn't think of insulating there - it's a good idea.
### That's the spot. Got way too much dirt coming in under there (we seem to do lots of dirt roads) until I fixed it.

### Also I took trim pieces off around standard entry door and found huge gaps. I filled them with closed cell foam and replaced trim. Now there is no cold breeze near the door in high winds.

Have fun with your new toy!

Chuck
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cargo door, modification