Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
pboud

Front cap cracked

Hi all, new to the forum and this is my first post and i know you all can help me. I have a 2002 cougar 281 efs 5th wheel and the front cap has a crack in it right in the top center about 20" long. my question is

1 how hard is it to replace?

2 where can i order one?

people are telling me it's fiberglass I think it's abs or something. Any help would be awsome.
pboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The cap may be plastic - not really sure if it is plastic or fiberglass. Rather than removing and replacing the cap, have you considered a repair? If the crack is a hairline one and has remained about 20" long, you might try drilling a very small hole at each end of the crack preventing it from further spread.

After you have done this, would it be possible to get a hold of some kind of vinyl graphic and place it over the crack? This might be an option if the crack is simply cosmetic and isn't affecting the integrity of the cap.

If the crack is not a hairline one, and you want to reinforce the area around it, this might be done from approaching the crack from the inside. You can take out the headboard and decorative molding at the end of the bed which will give you access to the backside of the cap.

Sometimes, you can use fiberglass repair cloth and expoxy resin on some kinds of plastic. Not sure if the two would be compatible but worth a try.

Perhaps several layers of criss-crossed Gorilla Tape might help do the trick. ????

Removing the cap and replacing it would be a fairly major undertaking and its ease or difficulty would depend, to a large extent, on how handy you are. Having an inside place or some area under cover to work on it would certainly be a bonus.

You might try a dealership in your area to see if they can get one for you or go online - there are numerous RV places that stock all sorts of RV parts.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

to the forum and sorry to hear about your cracked front endcap. On a unit that old it may be very difficult to find a replacement cap and even if you do, the expense may not justify the investment.

You may want to locate a fiberglass boat repair shop. They are skilled in repairing fiberglass and should be able to steer you in the right direction to get your RV back in tip top shape.

Look around the forum, you'll find a wealth of information that may help you. Ifyou use the search feature in the blue bar at the top of every forum webpage, it is much easier to zero in on things that interest you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote