Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2022, 07:10 PM   #1
Ddewey78

Mattress

So the foam "mattress" in my new to me 373 isn't going to cut it for a guy whose had back surgery, and ongoing issues. Without breaking the bank, what have you all done? And is the mattress a legitimate queen, or an "rv queen"?
Ddewey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:21 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Lots of folks have lots of preferences. What is the measurement of the mattress? A res queen is 60x80.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:56 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddewey78 View Post
So the foam "mattress" in my new to me 373 isn't going to cut it for a guy whose had back surgery, and ongoing issues. Without breaking the bank, what have you all done? And is the mattress a legitimate queen, or an "rv queen"?
Hope you understand without a signature containing year, make and model of your camper and the same for your tow vehicle, your questions will be answered with responses asking for more into. UserCP at top/left of every page. Make sure you save it.

My camper takes an RV queen (shorter than a standard queen) and I put a piece of plywood across the end and use a 14" full size queen pillow top which is very comfortable. I have no idea what a 373 is so couldn't look up your camper's floor plan to get any idea of what you are asking about. Sorry.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:04 PM   #4
Mike Honcho

At home, on our boat, and in our camper we do the same thing. Use regular mattress with memory foam toppers. You can pick different thickness and densities based on what you're trying to correct. Plus with a razor knife (I use the breakoff blade type to keep a sharp edge) you can cut to fit. Our boat has a queen but odd shaped. Layed on the floor with topper on the mattress and marked with a sharpie the outline and it fits perfectly.
Mike Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
At home, on our boat, and in our camper we do the same thing. Use regular mattress with memory foam toppers. You can pick different thickness and densities based on what you're trying to correct. Plus with a razor knife (I use the breakoff blade type to keep a sharp edge) you can cut to fit. Our boat has a queen but odd shaped. Layed on the floor with topper on the mattress and marked with a sharpie the outline and it fits perfectly.
Mike - the OP hasn't been back since posting. You would do well to put together a signature. UserCP top/left with year, make and model of your camper and tow vehicle and make sure you save it. I personally am not much of a fan of mattress toppers; once you get to a certain age, only a really good mattress will allow good sleep.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Go to a mattress store and lay the mattress on the floor not a box spring. That will give you the same feel you get when you set it on the plywood platform in your RV. Every mattress will feel different when you change the type of base it’s set on.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:22 AM   #7
notanlines

"I personally am not much of a fan of mattress toppers; once you get to a certain age, only a really good mattress will allow good sleep."
What George said! Regretfully we have a new Sleep Number mattress in our Salem (gifted to us) and it is pure trash! We would trade for our Serta any day.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:51 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Ain't no topper going to cut it for me. It's like putting mag wheels on a garbage truck, no real improvement. It's like putting a set of inserts into a pair of cheap sandals, there's going to be a minimal improvement over the lousy base support.

Full disclosure: I'm 68, at age 22 I crushed L1 thru L3 and broke my right pelvis into 3 pieces. A simple fall in the 1980's has resulted in 7 cervical spine and 6 shoulder/arm surgeries. So while I'm not exactly the Princess complaining about a pea I do need good support when lying down.

Everyone's different and opinions on mattresses and toppers will get about the same variable answers as asking "What's the best beer?"
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:33 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Ain't no topper going to cut it for me. It's like putting mag wheels on a garbage truck, no real improvement. It's like putting a set of inserts into a pair of cheap sandals, there's going to be a minimal improvement over the lousy base support.

Full disclosure: I'm 68, at age 22 I crushed L1 thru L3 and broke my right pelvis into 3 pieces. A simple fall in the 1980's has resulted in 7 cervical spine and 6 shoulder/arm surgeries. So while I'm not exactly the Princess complaining about a pea I do need good support when lying down.

Everyone's different and opinions on mattresses and toppers will get about the same variable answers as asking "What's the best beer?"
Well, Marshall, young man, it is folks like you that have me thinking we need to set a minimum age to join the forum. Kids these days HAH! Now, let's shift the topic to the best hitch... or better, the best tires. I have always stood by my statement that whatever I currently use is best because my buying decisions reflect my intelligence.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Well, Marshall, young man, it is folks like you that have me thinking we need to set a minimum age to join the forum. Kids these days HAH! Now, let's shift the topic to the best hitch... or better, the best tires. I have always stood by my statement that whatever I currently use is best because my buying decisions reflect my intelligence.
Couldn't agree more except MY choices are obviously BETTER!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:19 AM   #11
dutchmensport

Without any more information on your camper, it's hard to tell exactly what you have. Here's a chart. Measure your current mattress and then you'll know which one you've got.

About which mattress to get? My suggestion has always been, when this question come up on multiple forum sites, get one that is identical to the one you use in you house. Whatever make or brand that is, get one for your camper. About the cost breaking the bank? I'd rather have my bank broken than my back! I spend too much of my life laying flat. Two things I've never cheeped-out on, hitch systems for towing a travel trailer or a fifth wheel, AND the mattress I sleep on.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:35 AM   #12
Mikelff

Try looking at this co. They guarantee their mattresses. They ship in a box and you can unpack on top of your bed base. You can exchange 1time for free and mine is the hybrid mattress. Check them out.

https://rvmattress.com/pages/contact-us
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:23 AM   #13
rlh1957

In an RV you either have bad back or are going to have a bad back!

The list of users that keep their original rv mattress is slim.
You’ll find extra thick foam added, air mattresses, Sleep Number& Serta all have been tried.

No matter what the dealer or rv model says is the mattress size… Measure it yourself.
Some come with an RV Queen but a Full (Reg) Queen would fit even if it sticks over the bottom board two inches.
Some rv beds area builds are only able to use the smaller RV sized mattress.
Goggle tor mattress sizes.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #14
rlh1957

https://restrightmattress.com/wp-con...ress-sizes.png

RV sizes are harder to find many quality & budget choices so being able to fit a standard Full or standard Queen opens up many choices.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:59 PM   #15
terrythetech

Once I thought I was wrong....
But I was mistaken.
terrythetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #16
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Mike - the OP hasn't been back since posting. You would do well to put together a signature. UserCP top/left with year, make and model of your camper and tow vehicle and make sure you save it. I personally am not much of a fan of mattress toppers; once you get to a certain age, only a really good mattress will allow good sleep.
I guess we are the exception to your rule. We added a memory foam topper to our RV King and sleep fine. Fortunately, no back surgeries for us yet, although breaking my C7 and arthritis have not been helpful. I guess we figure that anything is an improvement over sleeping on the ground in a tent!
Old 06-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #17
Blueswede

We bought a new Cougar last year and after a month or so, got rid of the mattress that came with it. Bought an RV King mattress from Wilderness Mattress. First one was way too soft, they sent us the more firm one and it's great. We donated the first one to a homeless shelter. Win win....
Old 09-06-2022, 07:28 PM   #18
Outbackman57

Mattress 2, The Sequel

Realize this was all discussed a few months back but my question wasn’t compelling enough to start anew. More like a ‘does anyone know or have experience with this’. I bought a Zinus Green Tea Short Queen 8” memory foam mattress on Amazon for $206. It’s comfortable, even for my petite 6’1” 250lb frame. The dumb question is that I always left innerspring mattresses in my RVs all the time with no problem Summer or Winter. This mattress will be fine thru Florida winter but in summer heat when we don’t go out much if at all, will the stagnant 100° + it must get in there for weeks at a time harm the memory foam? I hope to ask Zinus as well but figured this would be quicker as they are not on this land mass. Safe travels.
Outbackman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:07 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

We have a queen short hybrid mattress in our Cougar. It has separate coil springs topped with memory foam. We store it in Michigan winters with no problems. We do find that it "sleeps hotter" when we travel to the southwest in the spring or fall when temperatures are warmer than at home. The mattress manufacturer says this is "normal and not a problem with the foam". Here are a couple of questions posted on one memory foam mattress website. I'm certainly not a "foam expert", but I'd suspect storing your mattress in hot, humid temperatures would/could cause the foam to deteriorate faster than it would in cooler temperatures (sort of like a warmer body laying on it 24/7 rather than only at night).... That's sort of like making a 15 year mattress deteriorate like a 12 or 13 year mattress. Although Florida's heat AND humidity may cause issues with any mattress and could support mold/mildew under the mattress where there is no air circulation.

We had a Zinus mattress at home for several years and when we bought a replacement, we gave the Zinus to our BIL for his trailer. It's been in it for about 5 years and he says it still sleeps "good enough for a travel trailer"... Certainly no "factory quality testing process" but he is satisfied with the way it sleeps. They have left that trailer in storage in Arizona through 2 summers, but that's not a "long term test"...

Here's the "cut and past questions and answers":
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	memory foam temperatures.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	41490   Click image for larger version

Name:	memory foam temperatures 2.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	41491  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:24 AM   #20
Outbackman57

Thank you for that. I will make it a point to bring the mattress in the house when not in use. That’s why God created son-in-laws ��

John Santy
‘06 Kargoroo 28KRS
‘20 F-150 XLT
‘00 FLHRCI
‘21 Royal Enfield Himalayan
Outbackman57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress