Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2022, 08:33 AM   #1
JOglesby

Grey tank dump mod

We have a Bullet 290BHS. This unit has 2 grey tanks and 1 black. THe grey tank that services the bathroom and the black tank are plumbed into a single discharge point/valve. But the front grey tank for the kitchen is separate and the connection point is under the slide. For long trips we would need to have 2 slinkys connected with a Y.

Has anyone ever hardpiped/permenantly run this into a single connection point? I would keep the valves separate and in their original locations (once connected I use a grabber to pull and reseat the valve).

If so, pictures? Pros/cons?
JOglesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s most likely plumbed that way because the tanks are at opposite ends not next to each other. Trying to tie them together may prove to be a daunting task as you’ll need slope for draining. I had a Jayco Eagle 5th wheel that the gray was tucked up under the slide at the rear and the black was in front of the wheels. I used 1 slinky and you guessed it, shimmied under the slide to dump the gray for the 13 1/2 years I owned it.

Two hoses joined with a Y and the third to the drain is IMO the easiest alternative.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #3
markcee

I concocted a tie-in between the two outlets with a length of 3" black ABS and various slip and bayonet fittings but ran into the issue Chuck described. Unless you can build in a fall between the two, drainage will be an issue. The lack of fall and hence good flow caused a steady drip at the bayonet connections.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:55 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It’s most likely plumbed that way because the tanks are at opposite ends not next to each other. Trying to tie them together may prove to be a daunting task as you’ll need slope for draining. I had a Jayco Eagle 5th wheel that the gray was tucked up under the slide at the rear and the black was in front of the wheels. I used 1 slinky and you guessed it, shimmied under the slide to dump the gray for the 13 1/2 years I owned it.

Two hoses joined with a Y and the third to the drain is IMO the easiest alternative.
Chuck, My galley tank is at the very rear of my camper and the gray & black are towards the front. My rear galley tank line (I think it is 1 1/2") has the gate valve behind the rear of the rear driver side tire and runs all the way up to connect to the other two tanks so there is only only main dump valve.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Yours may have been “planned” that way, and plumbed from the factory with the correct slope for flow.

After the fact may be more daunting to get the slope needed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #6
Sherwolfe

I have done this on my Cougar 29RLD and in fact made the same modification on two other trailers of my traveling buddies. The slope of the galley gray tank is a concern but we managed to get this done and it works great. Takes about two hours of work once you get all the parts you need. I just got tired of messing with the Y connection and running two drain lines that needed to be cleaned and put away each time.

I have pictures and a video of the gray tank draining once it was done, however I do not know how to send them via this method. I got the 3 inch gate valve that accepts a 1 1/2 inch line through Amazon, it is a Valterra San Tee Double rotating valve and the rest of the parts I got at Home Depot.
2019 Magnetic Gray F250 Lariat Super Duty, Screw, 6.2L, 4x4, 3:73 Electronic Locking Gear, Ultra Flex Tonneau Cover
Sherwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod, tank