Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 08:47 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1955 View Post
Thanks for posting the manual, I'll head there next. I just got off the phone with Husky Tech support. They simply stated if you are backing and making a tight turn, have a spotter back there watching, but you sould not have to remove the bars. Also, lubricate only the areas out on the tongue where the bars slide, nothing near the hitch ball... I was in back watching when my wife was making the turn into a double stall parking area, and at one poiunt it appeared my tired were slanting outward..and I think I was hearing shackle noise. The wife noticed the same.. So with that being said, we'll avoid backing in beyond a 45 angle, in one attempt. My personal opinion... patience. I think the ame holds true with traveling down a rough road,, simply slow things down...
877-544-4449
And ya, I don't have to be here when I'm not feeling well, I check my e-mail, and head here just to read the replies..
I would be far more concerned with the rear corners of the tow vehicle hitting the trailer front wall at angles greater than 45 degrees than I would about "hitch noise"....

Any tandem axle trailer will "torque the wheels" when backing at extreme angles. I've seen (and there are documented problems on this forum) where people have backed up on dry concrete, at extreme angles and damaged their axles, their spring hangers, wheels/hubs or tires. I've seen way too many to count trailers sitting in campsites with the front wheels "twisted out of line" with the rear wheels. The "mantra" from many novice RV'ers is to get it in the right spot and unhitch... WRONG ACTION !!!!! When backing at any angle, I always pull forward, to align the trailer wheels, then back straight up to the final spot. That removes the "torque" from the suspension and prevents "prolonged stress" on the trailer components. Some people "just don't see it" some "just don't care" some "are too pre-occupied to even think to check" and some, well, they'll just never "get it"....

As for your "noise at extreme angles" I'd suspect a little bit of it is the wd bars "creaking" a little is the spring hangers "popping" as the axles are pulled out of alignment, a little is the hubs "contacting the brake shoes or worse, the backing plate" and some is from the tires "scrunching on the pavement"... Add it all together and yes, you'll hear the trailer making noise when backing at an extreme angle. That's perfectly normal for the "cheap components used as OEM on an entry level trailer. Lots of upgrades to make it back with less noise, but you'll still run the risk of knocking out a tail light if the trailer front cap hits the back of your tow vehicle....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-14-2022, 09:48 AM   #22
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I would be far more concerned with the rear corners of the tow vehicle hitting the trailer front wall at angles greater than 45 degrees than I would about "hitch noise"....

Any tandem axle trailer will "torque the wheels" when backing at extreme angles. I've seen (and there are documented problems on this forum) where people have backed up on dry concrete, at extreme angles and damaged their axles, their spring hangers, wheels/hubs or tires. I've seen way too many to count trailers sitting in campsites with the front wheels "twisted out of line" with the rear wheels. The "mantra" from many novice RV'ers is to get it in the right spot and unhitch... WRONG ACTION !!!!! When backing at any angle, I always pull forward, to align the trailer wheels, then back straight up to the final spot. That removes the "torque" from the suspension and prevents "prolonged stress" on the trailer components. Some people "just don't see it" some "just don't care" some "are too pre-occupied to even think to check" and some, well, they'll just never "get it"....

As for your "noise at extreme angles" I'd suspect a little bit of it is the wd bars "creaking" a little is the spring hangers "popping" as the axles are pulled out of alignment, a little is the hubs "contacting the brake shoes or worse, the backing plate" and some is from the tires "scrunching on the pavement"... Add it all together and yes, you'll hear the trailer making noise when backing at an extreme angle. That's perfectly normal for the "cheap components used as OEM on an entry level trailer. Lots of upgrades to make it back with less noise, but you'll still run the risk of knocking out a tail light if the trailer front cap hits the back of your tow vehicle....
Thanks, yes seeing and hearing the noise first time, was a bit disturbing... I think one of my biggest fears is getting in some where and having a problem getting back out. We have two camp grounds reserved this spring, both are pull through. My friend down in Salt Lake City found out something last year I didn't know, His trailer was too long for campgrounds in National Parks, so he traded down..
Old 02-14-2022, 10:25 AM   #23
j.w.

Quote:
My friend down in Salt Lake City found out something last year I didn't know, His trailer was too long for campgrounds in National Parks, so he traded down..
From what I was told, being over 30 ft severely limits the national parks you can get into as well as some state parks. Always check restrictions before making reservations.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:56 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I kinda think the OP was simply pointing out that he's seen other information, not doubting your word.....
He quoted my post when several others posted basically the same info before I did. I kinda see that differently.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:07 AM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
He quoted my post when several others posted basically the same info before I did. I kinda see that differently.
Marshall, this forum is like a box of chocolate. We have your sweet ones, your sour ones and a few nuts. You are generally, well, helpful so don't take a little poking seriously. Go and take your afternoon siesta and wake up feeling sunny!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 02-14-2022, 12:04 PM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.w. View Post
From what I was told, being over 30 ft severely limits the national parks you can get into as well as some state parks. Always check restrictions before making reservations.
From our 10+ years fulltime experience, even if they have sites long enough be sure to check them BEFORE towing the rv into it. We've tried several national/state campgrounds that stated they had big rig sites to which I'll agree they had them, but due to boulder lined narrow roadways with low hanging limbs it was impossible to get a big rig to those sites.
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-14-2022, 12:25 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Marshall, this forum is like a box of chocolate. We have your sweet ones, your sour ones and a few nuts. You are generally, well, helpful so don't take a little poking seriously. Go and take your afternoon siesta and wake up feeling sunny!
Oh George, your concern for me is so touching. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2022, 02:39 PM   #28
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Everyone has their own "personal challenges". This is a Keystone RV forum, and we deal with issues related to Keystone trailers. We do extend a welcome to people who own other brands and we try to help them with problems....

That said, the "personal challenges" we all face aren't a part of the forum and don't justify or excuse inappropriate conduct. It's up to each member to limit their forum input when their "personal challenges" affect how they interact with other members.

The "personal challenges" should never become an excuse for what's posted on the forum.
You're stating my post was inappropriate? If your the forum master, feel free to remove me...I was simply stating that I really did not feel well this morning.. and was perhaps a bit sharp with my words...that happens in life.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:32 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You're stating my post was inappropriate? If your the forum master, feel free to remove me...I was simply stating that I really did not feel well this morning.. and was perhaps a bit sharp with my words...that happens in life.

Check your PM's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-20-2022, 08:10 AM   #30
Kzneft

Just a note. If you go off-road, and the road is not flat, but has lot of twists an turns, or uneven, it is best to take off the arms. I have a friend to has a very small camping trailer (single axle), and he went off-road on a rugged road. His trailer ended breaking in half right where the a frame meets the front of the trailer. Cost him $3,000 to have it towed out. Most of the "equalizer" type hitches recommends removing the arms when you go off-road. My 2 cents.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:09 AM   #31
Dobbs

You stated that you didn't get paperwork for the hitch. Mine was in with all my other paperwork/manuals that came with the trailer information packet and that was in a cabinet.
Best to go to the manufacturer website first.
On my Equal-i-zer 4 point it got quieter after the paint wore off and I cleaned, re-torqued, and re-greased per the manual. The nylon pads also helped a lot.
Backing into spots isn't a problem with the bars attached. I agree wholeheartedly about going back and forth a couple times to take the tension off the axles if you entered the site at a sharp angle.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:02 AM   #32
CaptnJohn

Quote:
I’ve been here and the Montana site for years. Broken back, bad legs, diabetic problems and have lived in pain since the helo pulled me from the jungle in 1968. Rated 100% by the VA although disabilities total nearly 200. I’ve never permitted my pain to influence my words and would never use it as an excuse. Suggest you learn to live with it and be nice or stay on the tube.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:17 PM   #33
notanlines

I believe John settled this a few posts ago. Let's go with finding the owners manual on the Equalizer and curing this problem, or answering the OP's question.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 02-20-2022, 03:19 PM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I believe John settled this a few posts ago. Let's go with finding the owners manual on the Equalizer and curing this problem, or answering the OP's question.
He did, let’s just close this thread and move on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Closed Thread