Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #1
djac13

Need Help : Slide out Cable came off

Hey, I just tried to put my slideout out and it stopped after a foot. after investigation, I noticed that the cable closest to the bathroom door which is impossible to get to has come off it's holder. how do you fix this? do you have to rip off the slideout face?

Keystone Passport 2670BH - 2017
djac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Did it break? Or did the end come out of the bracket?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
MotoDad293

Interesting. I just had the same thing happen. 2021 Raptor 351. The lower left cable, that I believe to be an OUT cable came off is on the floor. Slide goes in fine but struggles to go out and when going out, will now lean top outward. Happened on our travels home after 2 weeks on the road. The last night. I have not had a chance to look in to the situation yet. But when it happened I looked at the master bedroom ward slide to see how the cables work. I am guessing the elongated nut that holds it to the box on the chain backed off. I do not think the cable snapped.

I already had a July 15th appointment at the dealer to get other warranty things lookedat so am/was kinda waiting on that. I have searched unsuccessfully for youtube videos on the fixing cable routing on keystone slides.
MotoDad293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

BAL (Norco) has the information your looking for:

https://balrvproducts.com/products/o...de/index.shtml

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
djac13

I spoke with a rv repair shop and they mentioned that here is always a loose cable and he suggested putting more power to it. I hooked up my generator and the slideout, worked a little better but the monitor sounds terrible.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #6
MotoDad293

Quote:
Originally Posted by djac13 View Post
I spoke with a rv repair shop and they mentioned that here is always a loose cable and he suggested putting more power to it. I hooked up my generator and the slideout, worked a little better but the monitor sounds terrible.
No offense but that makes no sense.

Did the shop tell you there should always be a loose cable or that one cable is always looser but shouldn't be.

Second to that, what would putting 'more power' to the slide motor do when there is a disconnected cable? The slide motor is 12volt so having the generator running really did not do anything unless you have a weak or weakening battery or some other load issue with your 12v system.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:42 PM   #7
MotoDad293

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
BAL (Norco) has the information your looking for:

https://balrvproducts.com/products/o...de/index.shtml
Thank you! The install PDF helps. I just got to figure out how to get the cable back up the wall to the pulley. Looks like a trim panel gets removed on mine but I have little to no room between the slide and the door to the garage.

After that trip, I unloaded the trailer and took it right to storage and have not wanted to even see it for a week. I think this weekend I will pull it out of the storage lot and open slide half way and see what I can do.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #8
djac13

No offense taken,

The point he made was that one side is loose like the in cables are loose when you are going out. I honestly don’t know but I’m trusting more experience people.

Hope that helps and I’m working on getting my video of the motor online so I can share it with you guys.

Second, I am boondocking so he suggested more power to ensure I didn’t have a bad battery.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:00 AM   #9
Campermike

There are a few slide repair videos on YouTube that are very helpful. I would start going through those. I found one that showed how to remove the trim which then gave access to all the pulleys. If you can get it part way out that should help too as mine was stuck all the way in and getting at everything was super painful as a result.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #10
MotoDad293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campermike View Post
There are a few slide repair videos on YouTube that are very helpful. I would start going through those. I found one that showed how to remove the trim which then gave access to all the pulleys. If you can get it part way out that should help too as mine was stuck all the way in and getting at everything was super painful as a result.
Any chance you have a link to that video? I have searched and been unable to find.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #11
Campermike

https://youtu.be/we0z3iVD9Uo
This is the one I found super helpful! It's long but great.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:50 AM   #12
Uncoolron

Check this out. Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/bq6DNnoWf_M
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #13
pdaniel

Quote:
Hey, I just tried to put my slideout out and it stopped after a foot. after investigation, I noticed that the cable closest to the bathroom door which is impossible to get to has come off it's holder. how do you fix this? do you have to rip off the slideout face?

Keystone Passport 2670BH - 2017
I owned a 2017 Cougar that had the cable slide mechanism and I noticed a loose cable. I was able to adjust it but never felt comfortable again as I questioned the reliability of the system.
Interesting was the dealer “service manager” had less knowledge about the mechanics of the system than I.

The cable I adjusted was shy of jumping the pulley.

We decided to graduate to a fifth wheel and was disappointed that the make and model we like had the cables.
We chose a make and model with hydraulic and an in-wall systems.
Yes, I am aware those systems are not bulletproof.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #14
roadglide

I had a cable jump out of the loop and got stuck in side of the pulleys. The tech and I disassembled all the metal hardware along the wall and fished the cable out. The Teck said it jumped because there wasn’t a rubber grommet that holds the cable In place . I went And filled all Lugs with silicone . I ordered a new cable kit with all the hardware including the rubber grommet included.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:45 AM   #15
djac13

Update: I was able to get it back in and heading back home, I’ve made a appointment with the service shop to look at it but the noise hasn’t happened ever since. Really weird. I’m still taking it in because one of the cables was off the pully system.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #16
roadglide

Quote:
Update: I was able to get it back in and heading back home, I’ve made a appointment with the service shop to look at it but the noise hasn’t happened ever since. Really weird. I’m still taking it in because one of the cables was off the pully system.
I agree about taking it in, my pulley,s are very close and would not allow the cable to untack. I’m thinking you have a pulley broken or a pulley pin came out . There’s no tolerance for the cable to jump in between joining pulleys.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide, slide out